Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    No, it's not hacking: all the scores within the GC app are 18 or 19 digits long, including my friends list. Just wondering if anyone else has noted this?

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #142 slamraman, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Yep - I just thought it was a pretty fantastic broughism. 868-Hack had the same kind of thing if memory serves - and it doesn't serve the way it used to. I love it. AndyC83 has just topped my quite mediocre score on the first guy, again.

Edit: can't see your score(s) on there yet, Guise.

3. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I think the long GC scores are how the developer encodes game statistics, or in this game's case the board layout used, for each high score. Otherwise they would need their own server keeping track of that data.

But that's just a guess.

4. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Only just started playing today after being out of commission for a few days. One (probably obvious) question: what does the series of hearts or diamonds under a weapon indicate? I mean the series of 5 symbols. I assume it indicates how much damage each level does?

5. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep, how much damage per hit/strike. It takes a little while but once it clicks, it really does click. A clicker in the true sense of the word.

6. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #146 mkaen, May 24, 2016
    It's just 128 bits of GC data containing score and board config.

7. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Picked this up along with Zaga-33. I'm enjoying them both, but probably would have enjoyed Zaga more if I didn't get it along with Imbroglio. Lol. Will pick up 868-Hack if it goes on sale again, or when Imbroglio gets old (which may never happen).

Absolutely great game and highly recommended, for anyone still on the fence.

8. Dillonbheadley

Jan 11, 2016
    A shield would be useful. Weakest area is the top left corner I would say. That's where I died in fact. So maybe a shield in top left corner? Amulet of immortals is a life saver haha would have had a much lower score without it! I think I tried to max that after the whetstone and 4 middle tiles. Def helped!

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It's the physical (hearts) or magical (diamonds) damage done by the weapon.

Ideally your board will be a nice mix of these 2 damage types unless, of course, not allowed by your current class, to most efficiently counter the various monsters' vulnerabilities.

In general, while there will be a few big exceptions, the physical weapons, on average, do more damage whereas the magical weaapons often will have additional effects the player will trigger automatically at the cost of 1 mana if they have mana to spare (doing so will not kill the player at that moment).

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks, LG! I'll be able to play this some more tonight and hopefully dig into the deck building a bit more. So far, I declare this game to be...awesome!!

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #151 LordGek, May 24, 2016
    As an avid game hoarder with a short attention span, I have never been gripped so hard by a game. I spent almost all of last weekend playing this silly game. Even with all of the hours poured into it, I'm no more than a slightly above average player, but am having a blast at least beating my own old highscores and playing around with OTHER peoples' decks to see if I can better understand what I'll need for my own ultimate deck.

I really get into an almost zen state playing this game. Effortlessly ducking out of danger as I dive for a star gem and then turn around and bop a baddy on its head.

I love/hate (I admire the design but hate the long wait for the big payoff) how so many of these weapons don't REALLY blossom their big game changing power until you reach 4th level with them.

I've finally learned, for instance, that the on surface seemingly weak shield weapon, is really worth it for that eventual life saving extra hp!

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    189 with Count Harry is my best run so far. Not normally into strategy games (mainly due to a lack of patience on my part) but this is magic.

13. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Damn!! Just missed 128 with the second character. I'm going to try and stick to this one for while and crack 128 with all the characters and then try and beat my friends scores - although that's looking unlikely now. I've tried strategy games but there's just often too much depth and/or pointy ears for my liking but this one gets the balance beautifully right.

14. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

#154 Patashu, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    I tied the world record for Prince Harry IV - 227 gems. I also found the
    8th monster - the 'Dragon', who gives you a permanent mana crystal when defeated. 12 health, 16 mana, deals mana damage, can't become a ghost.
    Cool!

https://twitter.com/patashu0/status/735246087481479168

15. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Nodding my head vigorously.

16. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #156 mkaen, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    You need to use spoiler tags if you're going to post spoilers.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Discredit: I think you have played Ascension and Carcassonne long enough to claim this... :p

But yes, this game is very addicting and I wish there had been cloud save or something....

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Damn, aren't you the little zoologist! Good find. :D

19. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

UPDATE: The record for Prince Harry IV is now 243 gems by psotto. This is going to be hard to beat!

https://twitter.com/psotto/status/735312745495568384

Thanks, didn't realize there were spoiler tags on this forum.

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yea man, 868 Hack is f'n awesome. I liked it much more than Zaga which is great also. All so damned good.