Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    just got over 100 with the first guy - fan-blooming-tastic. Might try some of the other people now. What a game.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    It's weird how much of a different game this feels like when you play with a different character. It's like completely starting from scratch and learning a whole new set of skills. I've still yet to nail anyone but the first Count dude, but I'm slowly getting there.

3. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Really??? Well, I'm sold!

4. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Cool. I'll add them to my wish list.

5. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

https://youtu.be/XW5NNu1Zm2E

I recorded a run of 178 gems as Vesuvius Bob. For those who want to see what a good run looks like or just how the game plays at such high levels. I'm sure in a week this score will be trash so I might make more videos then, heh. (Already I set a new personal high score today, 184 with Harry.) Enjoy!

6. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I don't really understand this game. But; I feel like this is like holding an old antique with a very valuable story to tell. You don't really get it but you know you understand its worth. And look at this. Zynga match 3, Flu games.Britney Spears and then Imbroglio. It's like finding the aforementioned mysterious priceless antique on a shelf at WalMart. This deserves better!

7. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Flu games was auto correct but it made me laugh so it stays.

8. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Can someone explained cursed enemies?

Fantastic game by the way. This guy has a genius to making different, interesting and challenging games.

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #129 zen_mode, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    868-Hack was always a notch above Hoplite, Dream Quest, The Nightmare Cooperative etc for me because the latter games didn't seem to have the same level of elegantly intertwined systems that work beautifully together. It's difficult to describe but they just didn't have the same "flow" for me even though they should have been more fun in theory. Chasing high scores in Hoplite feels tedious at the higher levels, the flow is gone and it just starts to get a bit jarring spending so long thinking of the next move. 868-Hack keeps a certain pace to it while remaining difficult. The longer the streak, the harder in gets but it never gets too tedious even though it starts throwing more handicaps at you. You're thinking all the time, but there's a bit of leeway for minor lapses in concentration even at higher levels. The choice you make affects other systems and you're constantly faced with interesting tradeoffs.

This one pretty much retains that same flow and just improves in every aspect. The joy of crafting and continuously optimising a deck is very appealing to me and the reason I spent so much time in Dream Quest and Card Crawl. Seeing other decks on the leaderboard just like in the latter is fantastic. The tile system is novel and very satisfying. It's great having your entire deck and most of the accompanying information displayed directly on the grid. I wanted to give this a few days first because I thought that maybe the same level of magic isn't there but it's more than exceeded my expectations. Even the visuals are more palatable. I'd say I even enjoy the art. The acoustic feedback adds to the immersion and flow. Unless I find some OP game breaking strategy i'll be experimenting and playing this for a long long time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this is a fun video game.

10. Patashu

#130 Patashu, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    I just reached 224 gems as Prince Harry IV (currently 1st on the leaderboards) and encountered a new monster - the Unicorn. He has 16 (!) health and 12 (!!) mana, and when he dies he upgrades the weapon you're standing on permanently, as though affected by a lodestone. I took pictures here:

https://twitter.com/Patashu0/status/734665581438308352

---

There is only one game engine rule that cares about cursed - when you pick up a gem, a random cursed enemy becomes a ghost.

Besides that, many weapons have an extra effect if they hit a cursed enemy. Read the descriptions for every weapon in the list and look out for things that curse and care about curse.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Finally broke 128 with the Sorceress, such a tricky character.

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Nice find on the new enemy! There's intense competition at the top of the leaderboards, your top score has already been overtaken :eek:

13. Patashu

Wow! 227 gems. My record didn't last long XD

14. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    After extensive further playtesting, I feel a need for an UNDO button, for those times when I hit with a red weapon instead of a blue weapon, or vice versa, thereby dying; when I pick up a gem so that the walls rearrange so I am stuck in a corner with a wrong-coloured monster, thereby dying; when I think the monster's stunned for a turn longer than they actually are, thereby dying; or when I hit one monster, knowing I can safely take the red hit from the other monster, and my weapon turns the other monster into a ghost, which therefore hits me for blue, thereby dying; when I fail to notice my brazier's dropped a heart, thereby dying...

I'm dying a lot due to stupidity. It shouldn't be so hard to look forward one turn, should it?

15. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I understand ya, but welcome to the world of Rogues. It's a remorseless land where even the most hale and hearty explorers will find themselves in an early grave thanks to the most tiny of oversights.

16. Dillonbheadley

Jan 11, 2016
    Just got 185 with bob. Strategy was to max harp and scyth first then whetstone. Harp and whetstone is really strong. I also happened to kill the unicorn on my harp so it was doing 3 damage plus 3 to a random enemy.

Trying to upload a screenshot but it's not working. You can see my board currently in second place for Vesuvius bob though.

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Has anyone else checked the GC leaderboards through the GC app, where (for me, at least) the scores are 19 digits long? Unsure if this is a bug or simply the developer's idiosyncrasy; pretty great either way.

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Probably hacking.

19. Patashu

An undo button in this game would be really bad. For one, the game is not deterministic - enemies make some decisions at random. if you could see what choice they will make then undo it, through a lot of tedious additional undos you could always play perfectly.

Part of this kind of game is balancing the risk of enemies screwing you over with the need to play fast and efficient. If you find yourself commonly dying, think about if you are making mistakes while playing, or if your board is not optimized enough. Plus, it's turn based - you can take an arbitrary amount of time to think through any given move.

I am proud to say that the in-game leaderboards have 0 hacked scores :) So it must filter out hacked scores from the GC leaderboards, or maybe it's a bug in GC, I don't know.

Nice work! Nice layout too. Maybe there's room for a Shield somewhere on it? How much do you like the stone of immortals?

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yup - didn't like where you or the monster teleported to? Undo. Ugh.

You probably could save-scum though: Backup your device, restore if you didn't like the move. Might be easier if you're jailbroken. Double-ugh.