Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, I stick my favorite tiles in the middle 4 and then a few others at the edges, with a few panic tiles for the corners.

2. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

#102 Patashu, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Hey, I have some questions for anyone who's attentive enough :) I've been trying to figure out some simple rules about this game:

1) If a monster is at a diagonal from you, how is it determined if it will remove horizontally or vertically? (My best guess so far is that each monster has its own preference for whether it will match vertically, match horizontally, match either alignment or always chase into the tile you left from, and it is determined once when it spawns, but there might be a counterexample to this, or a more specific rule.) (EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw a wasp swap between following, matching horizontally, following, matching vertically, etc. So maybe it's just 100% random.)

2) How is it determines what order the monsters move in? (At first I thought some monsters have priority over others, but I found counterexamples for every possible ordering. Then I thought newer monsters move first always and found counter examples to that too. So I'm totally clueless. The monsters seem to move slightly out of sync every turn, which might help give away the order, but it goes so fast that I'd have to record the footage to keep track of what's going on.)

3) Is it possible to predict in how many turns the next monster will spawn? I know it speeds up the more turns you've spent, but is it deterministic or random, and if it's random how is it randomized? (Matters, for example, if you could spend 1 OR 2 turns killing a monster, and want to be on the correct parity to kill the next monster without taking damage.)

4) Ancient Hourglass - how does 'return in 16 turns' work? When does the 16 turn timer start? If something is occupying the tile, does it have to move off before it can spawn? Do monsters return from frozen time before, after or during monster movement?

5) When Minotaurs start spawning, can the next time a Minotaur spawns be predicted or is it randomized? If randomized, how wide is the variance?

(My best score so far is 174 on Vesuvius Bob, 3rd on the leaderboards. Fun game!)

3. Patashu

It's two different effects.

The first effect spends 1 mana when you attack something to stun it for 1 turn.

The second effect, whenever the lantern kills something, stuns another random enemy for (lantern's level) turns.

4. easydoesit

easydoesit New Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Blight Broadsword

Hi, has anyone figured out what the text on this one means - 'only devours cursed enemies'? Thought it would mean it would only damage cursed enemies but seems to damage uncursed as well?

5. Patashu

'devour' refers to the act of gaining an experience point upon killing an enemy. That is, the weapon will only gain an experience point when it kills an enemy IF the enemy is cursed.

(It can still gain experience points from Blacksmith Tongs as per normal.)

6. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    The enemy returns 16 turns later after being hit or whenever that tile is unoccupied after 16 turns.

7. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    May someone explain me the second part of "Blink Dagger"?

"2: Choose between one target for each level for this random effect."

1. What does the "2" mean?
    2. What does "target" mean?
    3. What does "level" mean?

8. Patashu

Yeah. What I mean is, do I count the turn I hit the weapon with (start counting at 1, enemy appears when I count 16) or do I not (start counting at 0, enemy appears when I count 16)?

2 means that the weapon has to be level 2 for this effect to turn on.

Target means that the game will pause and show you 2, 3 or 4 tiles - pick one, and your character teleports to that tile. You cannot pick a tile the game has not presented to you.

Weapons start at level 0, and gain a level every 4 kills, to a maximum of 4. So a level 4 blink dagger offers you 4 places to teleport to, whereas a level 2 blink dagger offers you 2, and at level 0-1 it makes the choice for you.

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    1. The ability to pick teleport target tiles unlocks at level 2.
    2. Target refers to the tile you wil be teleported to, beyond level 2 you will be given a choice of tiles for teleporting.
    3. Level refers to the level of the weapon, it levels up after killing 4 enemies with that weapon.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Start counting at 1 once you hit the enemy. The enemy spends minimum 15 turns on the tile as an icon.

11. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Thanks guys! #

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Since I'm not into deck building that much (at least right now, it will surely be a big part of the game later for me), I cannot thank enough for the option to download user decks! Soooo brilliant. Barely playing anything else (apart from Leap Day each midnight) :)

13. pepsodont

pepsodont Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Thanks man for the response!

The problem is - the second enemy gets stunned for 1 turn even if the lantern is level 4. That's what I'm not getting :/

14. Patashu

I've used level 4 lanterns before and I have not experienced this problem. Can you take screenshots/video the next time you experience it?

15. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    #115 Chq, May 22, 2016
    How can userdecks been downloaded?

Edit: After an iOS update now it works. There were problems because of the gamecenter.

16. gust0208

gust0208 Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Man, this game came out of nowhere for me and grabbed me by my gnarglies. I am slowly learning the characters before touching the deck / weapon editor. So far, I like Vesuvius Bob for the weapon variety initially.

17. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #117 cbos0503, May 22, 2016
    I haven't played any of his games before and am likely going to pick this one up. I'm a big 'Keep having this Dream' fan and like what you all have said about this one so far.

But what other Brough games are essential?

18. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    868-Hack and Zaga33 are both absolute must-haves in my book, especially for roguelike fans. Helix is great arcade fun and Corrypt is one hell of a puzzle game. A tough one at that! Only one I haven't picked up is Glitch Tank because I think it's 2-player only.

19. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    MB keep the roguelikes coming! Your my hero ! <3

20. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Glitch Tank also has A.I. opponents.