Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I haven't bought a game from the App Store in months. This game ends that streak in a pretty glorious way. Really digging it so far.
    I don't think any game will ever surpass 868-HACK as my all time favourite phone game. But this game is making a good first impression and we'll see how it plays out in the long run.
    Having control over the board tiles can be a little overwhelming but I think it will be very helpful as you get more familiar with the game.

2. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Hoplite.

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I do wish they'd finally put out a premium version of that game. ;)

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

...what do you mean? It's been a while, but I believe it is pay to unlock?

5. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Was just riffing on its name... Hoplite.

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Ah, haha:)

Good one!

To be honest, the hoplite connection is probably the one that's the most accurate to describe this game. It scratches the same itch!

7. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hey!!!

Can someone explain to me the curse thing?!?
    It's the only thing I don't quite get?

Thanks!!!

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Same here!

9. Dillonbheadley

Jan 11, 2016
    #89 Dillonbheadley, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Loving this game so far! Here's a couple tips I've picked up playing mainly the first character:

- I like having 1 blue weapon in each row and column so I don't get trapped
    - corners have either a torch or a blink dagger for emergency
    - the middle 4 tiles are easiest to level up fast it seems. Some weapons don't do anything until you level them up once. Like the vampiric spear for example. That's a nice one to get a level on early as it gives you hearts back. Other items have an ability that starts from level 0 like the rhyme claws. Good for taking out the blue eel early game.

As for the curses, attacking a cursed enemy with some items does extra things. Like the vampiric spear if levelled up twice will give you 2 hearts back for killing a cursed enemy instead of 1. If you have the witch unlocked you will have got a bunch of other curse related weapons.
    Also after a while a cursed enemy turns into a ghost which just has 1 heart and 1 blue diamond. An easy kill! And when you kill a ghost another enemy gets cursed.

There's a lot to this game! I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of all the different strategies that could be used. Very awesome!!

10. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    As for the curses, attacking a cursed enemy with some items does extra things. Like the vampiric spear if levelled up twice will give you 2 hearts back for killing a cursed enemy instead of 1. If you have the witch unlocked you will have got a bunch of other curse related weapons.
    Also after a while a cursed enemy turns into a ghost which just has 1 heart and 1 blue diamond. An easy kill! And when you kill a ghost another enemy gets cursed.

Thanks a lot!

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Finally got a decent score, 165, with the starting character. It's incredibly satisfying when a meticulously designed tileset starts paying dividends.

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    man - this is the best game I have played in a long, long time. The only thing I found overwhelming at the start was the opening up of all the tiles for the character(s). If they'd unlocked one by one I think I wouldn't be so afraid of experimenting. Brilliant work - my only request is for Michael to hopefully fix the screen size issue for phones on Helix. This is quite possibly my game of the year.

13. ShaggyPKA

ShaggyPKA Active Member

May 16, 2013
    Amazing game! Can someone help me with something? Say I'm on a ranged weapon and there is a bad guy at the other end of the same row. I have the option to either move towards him or shoot the weapon. However, every time I try to move, I end up shooting the weapon. Anyone know how to move without shooting?

14. Dillonbheadley

Jan 11, 2016
    Pretty sure you can only shoot. Was like that in 868 hack. Could get you in trouble!

15. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Great game Mr. Brough, but would you please increase the textsize for iPhonescreens? 3pt is too small for my 40 years old eyes. #

16. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    #96 smes3817, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    153, woohoo! Man, I love this game. All MIchael Brough's roguelikes are absolute genius and still SO different from each other.

17. pepsodont

pepsodont Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2014
    #97 pepsodont, May 22, 2016
    I just had a game where I finally leveled up the ancient shield to max. I was thinking I'd get a health upgrade, but nothing happened.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: The effect procs on gem pickup ~~

And blinding lantern as well - it should stun an enemy 1 turn / each level on the lantern, but it only stuns for 1 turn, even if it's maxed.

Is this happening to me only or am I just royally dumb?

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Just got 131 on The Templar, 50% of the way done to the final character unlock!

19. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #99 sapphire_neo, May 22, 2016
    170 with Vesuvius Bob, just one more to go :-D

Edit: And done! The final character is pretty wild, apparently only 9 other people have it unlocked so far (or have posted scores for it).

20. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    That's awesome. Are you using custom decks?