Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    What makes the game so unique?

Greetz Chris

2. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    I'm struggling with the rules. I kind of understand the hitting with red and blue so got a score 47. Now it looks like I can place the weapons before starting new game? Also why do the tiles slowly shade? And the heart and gems when you click on a tile some look shaded.

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    They're kill notches (like WWII allied fighter planes would put one on their wing for every axis plane they shot down). Every time you fill one group up that tile goes up a level.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Kind of, on an iPhone 6. The smaller font size in a couple of places is smaller than ideal. Not a major problem, though.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This game really reminds me of I Keep Having This Dream In how unique it is, enough twists on what has now become a fairly recurring game design of the single screen puzzler/rogue-lite. My initial runs were a little underwhelming but once the idea clicked, I was able to string together more satisfying runs. My best so far has been 111, and I can see myself unlocking the 128 classes soon given how addictive the game can be.

6. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Can anyone say something about the relationship between luck and high scores?

7. morpheus

morpheus Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    USA
    Thanks. Unfortunately makes it unplayable for me on iPhone 6.

8. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    luck plays a minor role, but most important is that the balance of lucky vs unlucky is basically even based on how the enemies are designed

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's a puzzle roguelike, which reminds me most of The Nightmare Cooperative, but IMHO is a tighter design and more fun.

Your chosen character has a fixed ability, the four monsters have fixed stats and the maze shifts each time you pick of a star. Turn based, swipe to move/attack.

Where the game gets interesting is that the tile you are standing on changes the attack you make. Blue for diamonds, red for hearts. Each kill you make with a tile 'feeds' it, and once 'fed' four times it levels up.

Each tile has very different characteristics, with stats/abilities that change as the tiles level up. So you will find yourself planning out your attacks to not only preserve your health but killing monsters from tiles with better attacks and/or better future abilities because you want to level them up for the late game.

As the monsters come faster the more steps you take, there will probably be a top limit for how many points you can make with each character, but with 8 characters to choose from, and the ability to plan out the weapons you play with, there will be a lot of game play here.

Biggest tips I have are don't forget to spend runes on your special ability, especially if you can use it to off-set a monster so you get the first attack in! Don't be afraid (especially in the early game) to take a point of damage if it means feeding a good tile and you can reach a star soon.

10. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Game is amazing, and I had no idea it was releasing this week. It's Broughsmas in May!

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Why isn't there any gameplay video of this?

12. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    This is a bit along the addicting craze of I Keep Having This Dream. Another similar type genre that I can't stop playing. I do need to buy a couple more of MB'a older titles. I fell into his trance with last years Helix.

13. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Amazing game so far and don't yet understand all the rules as is typical with brough games. But they usually are masterpieces. Hack is one of my favourite all time.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can totally concur with you both, once you get going you practically merge with the game and are in a trance like state while playing it. :eek:

15. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I went ahead and got this one bought without hesitation. I've never played one of Michael Broughs games but have heard the lore and figured I'd give his newest game a shot. I don't know if its for me but it looks kinda cool. Even if I don't like it I'm still happy with the purchase since this developer seems to make a lot of avid ios gamers such as myself quite happy. Also been following this title for a bit and just bit the bullet when it released without looking into it much, sometimes that's how you find the best games!

16. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    So what are everyone's favorite heroes to use so far? I've unlocked all the deck editors but haven't actually done it yet as I find that intimidating at the moment. Once I do it a first time, I know I'll love it though.

Damn this game is good!

Edit: And congrats on the feature! I hope this sells well for you.

17. pepsodont

pepsodont Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm addicted already!

Just one thing - what the hell do ranged weapons do? I keep swinging them like a stick, what's their advantage?

18. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    This game is amazing, as is every Brough game.

Lol same here. I think it will melt my brain when I start editing decks.

19. Brawwwn

Jul 30, 2015
    When I tap a tile it just describes it to me. This game is just a brick for me right now, I have no idea how to even start a game.

20. Brawwwn

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm an idiot