Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok someone explain the "cursed" enemy thing

When do they get cursed ? What causes it? Is there something that indicates they are cursed ? Do they remain cursed till dead ? Is there any difference when a Monster IS cursed ?

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #22 LordGek, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Doh, I figured out character leveling tokens. Each time a weapon on the board gains a level you get a token which then can be traded in (usually requiring 1 or 2 tokens at least with the first 4 characters) to use your character's unique skill.

I can answer most of this.

Several weapons deal in curses, be it shooting off a random curse to another monster when you kill one with a certain weapon or another weapon where a monster has a chance to get cursed simply by stepping over it.

When a creature is cursed, you'll see it surrounded in a black fog.

Some weapons have different or extra effects if the targeted monster is cursed.

While I haven't seen it happen yet, supposedly each time you pick up a gem, one of the currently cursed monsters will become a ghost (I have no idea what this means).

I think curses remain until the creature is killed, but since I usually try to kill each newly appearing creature as quickly as possible, I have no clue if given enough time the effect could wear off.

3. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Brill

After a few minutes of cluelessness I can now say this game kicks arse! :D

4. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    This!:D

Instabuy!!! :) Thanks Michael for releasing a new game for iOS.
    Helix didn't sell very well, so support this man right now!!!
    All his games are masterpieces, try them!

5. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Can Somebody please explain the game mechanics and gameplay for dummies? ;) ty!

6. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Same! It almost feels like a rhythm game when you get in the zone.

7. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #27 sinagog, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    You might get a few tips if you go on the leaderboards and look at the top players' boards. You can even copy them exactly with a click of a button, provided you have the right tiles.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, while no pro myself yet, here's the gist.

You pick a character with their own unique abilities and quirks (like can't use ranged weapons).

Your primary mission is to run around the maze snagging stars. Each time you do you'll earn a point, heal a little, and randomize the current level's layout.

You fight the monsters by bumping into them with the damage and damage type done based on the weapon on the space you're standing on when you attack. Each time you kill a baddy, the weapon on the space you're standing on gets a point of experience. Get enough points and the weapon will level up (often giving it new cool powers) and you'll gain a token which can be used to activate your character's special ability.

So the key to making it anywhere in the game is matching up the right damage type to a given enemy (i.e. a cube would need 4 points of physical damage to take out but even the weakest of magical attacks will kill him in a single hit), and try to kill beasties from the same space as much as possible to level up the weapons quicker and thus earning more tokens.

All unlocks in the game are based on reaching threshold scores with the characters. Like how you need to get at least 32 points with each individual character to edit their grid of weapons, and score at least 64 to unlock the first of 4 bonus characters.

9. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Nice round up. Could you elaborate on how the deck building works ?

10. Luci0

Luci0 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    I was very interested in this game for a while now... After reading this thread, everyone seems to love it so I bought it too lol.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The "deck" is the board you're playing on which is simply a 4x4 grid of different weapons. You're initially confined to using each character's default deck, but once you get a score of 32 or greater with that character you can create your own deck for that character as long as it conforms to that character's specific limitations (like can't use magic based weapons or can't use ranged weapons). Since each of the 4 baddies always spawn from their same corner entrances, your best bet is to configure weapons to take advantage of this (i.e. since Cubes are vulnerable to magic, you might want to have some magic weapons handy adjacent to his entry point so that if you time it right, you can kill it the second it hits the board.

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just got >64 and unlocked the board editor for the first character. This game's pretty much as big as you want it to be isn't it. This is quite simply my favourite game this year. When you hit your stride it's like dropping right into a groove. I am still sh*te at it but I think this'll last me 'til Christmas. Beautiful and quite mesmerising. Well done, Michael.

13. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Thx ! Will buy now !

14. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i have nothing to say guys. this game i've been waiting all my life and i realized it only now.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Instabuy.

As usual, I tore straight into the game having without reading anything, and did OK with that.

Finally I dug into the book and learned a few things. ;) Knowing that the monsters always come from specific corners makes a huge difference.

Nifty that not only can you see high scores, you can see what board they used to get that score and copy it!

Another great Brough game, though I have to say I miss the pixel art/noise/style...

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game is soooo brilliant. Brough is showing once again that gameplay is everything, and that he is a genius! Such a neat, unique, well thought out game. God, I adore this guy's intelligence. This game is another masterpiece and easily on top of my GOTY list.

Leap Day for my belly, this one for my brain :)

17. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    This game is so awesome! I bought this because of the comments here, and I'm so glad I did!!

18. morpheus

morpheus Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    USA
    Looks like fun. Is the text on the UI as microscopic as it looks in the screenshots?

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Something cool I caught with the first unlocked character, it looks like they also add a few new cards/weapons accessible by all of the other classes.

20. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    I'd like to know if the text is too small for iPhone screens.

Greetz Chris