Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Here's the blog where he mentioned it:
    http://mightyvision.blogspot.com/

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #262 Guise, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    That's grand. Though it has some stiff competition, this still gets my vote for Game of the Year. Thanks for the heads up! And thanks for the link, LordG.

3. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Oh damnnnnn

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    How much?$

5. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I haven't got a clue what's going on! Loved 868-HACK, which I got only this year, so I'm late to the Michael Brough party. So far I've just done two runs on Imbroglio and managed to pick up 58 gems on my second run. Now I get to edit the board - which is wasted on me till I work out what I'm doing.

This sounds like I'm complaining or asking for help - but I'm not. I love how Brough just throws players in at the deep end and expects them to show the brains and initiative to work it out. I don't think there's another designer like him.

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just picked up the update - £1.99 for the expansion pack - and will get back into this later today. Played it alot at launch and then went back to 868-Hack. One thing I would really love is for Helix to be updated so that it fits the widescreen on my phone again. Anyhow, looking forward to get right back into this little beauty.

7. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    So I def gonna have problems. Lol

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holy crap...

It's gonna take me a while to get comfortable with the new cards... Even longer for the characters... I still have yet to really play with anyone past Jeska.

But $1.99 to add on another game mode, two new characters and 16 new cards within probably my favorite iOS game ever is a friggin steal. So THANK YOU Mr. Brough!

Re:Helix... Since it's not all devices being effected by the update that made it revert back to 3.5" display (actually, I think we're the only two who've said anything about it here on TA), I've pretty much given up hope for it getting updated... =o/

But I do miss that game... Might break it out today... =oP

9. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    You're definitely not the only two! My version of Helix is no longer widescreen too. I REALLY hope he addresses it in an update soon. All Brough's games are incredible and I want to make sure they're future-proof for iOS.

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    You guys really make me want to try his games. Everyone says great rhings about them.

I am afraid it won't be my cup of tea, though, since I am not that smart strategy-wise.

11. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Honestly, I hate strategy games - well it's not strategy games I hate it's the people that like strategy games (jk). This and 868 kind of slowly reveal themselves to you - like peeling an onion but with tears of joy as each layer is revealed. Man, I'd love a fix for Helix too.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    New update is out with some balance tweaks and a $1.99 exp that adds 2 new classes and 16 new weapons (all unlocked as soon as the IAP is purchased). Both of these new classes SERIOUSLY tweak the fundamentals of gameplay.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

=oP

I've only played with Simon so far. Being able to change a cards color is crazy cool.

The new mode is something I think I'll really get into. New selections of cards every 4 days will hopefully get me to work out some new card combos...

14. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Oh man. Some of these new tiles are pretty fun. Brain spoon? LOL!!

15. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I cannot believe how much I love this. "Playing" cards by laying them down as tiles to an ever changing dungeon is brilliant.

16. BulletScrambler

BulletScrambler New Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Hi guys, I've just bought the game. I have a (maybe) dumb question: There are little hint pop-up messages which appear next to the hero icon during the game - how do I get rid of them? I've tried touching/swiping with no luck... The only way to dismiss them right now is to kill the app and relaunch. Thanks for your help!

17. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #277 slamraman, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    That's fixed in the update patched out last night.

I'm getting a funny hit detection when I try to go back from choosing a character though in the top left of the screen on my phone.

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #278 slewis7, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    I have just played this game for the first time. It is brilliant. I could not get into Brough's 868-HACK but I absolutely love his Corrypt.

Is there a way to access Game Center in the game?

Edit: to answer my own question, touch your high score to access leaderboards. Cool!

19. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I was the same way for a while with 868-HACK. It slowly grew on me and now I can't get enough of it. It is absolute brilliance, IMO.

20. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    wow - the new board today (and the next 4 days) is pretty damn hard. All blue cards and none with other one hit. The brain spoon card is phenomenal though. What a bloody great game.