iPad Imangi or wurdle?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tizzyler03, Nov 8, 2008.

1. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

Both of these look like really fun games and I REALLY want a good word game. Both got good reviews in iTunes, but I would like to know what people here at touchArcade think. Which one is better? Pros? Cons?

2. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Imangi is really solid. I did a couple video reviews on their products and they're alot of fun.

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I got Wurdle here and I like it. Just make as much words as you can from the board in the giving time.

Imangi seems to be a bit different since you can slide columns and rows in order to get the best words from the board. It seems a be harder than Wurdle but quite interesting.

4. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Imangi's a bit like trism, in the sense you have to slide to form a pattern (in this case a word). I have wurdle, and like the quickness of getting a game done. It's recent update's given it endless play for a long time of fun.

5. Out of the two, Wurdle is the better game for me. You can play a timed game or take your time and find as many words as possible without a time limit. But what makes Wurdle good is you can have 4 players competing. This consists of each player taking their turn with the same letters trying to better other players scores in a certain time limit.
    Imangi i a great game, don't get me wrong. But it is more about technique on how to get as many words as possible on the board. Up to you.

6. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Hey tizzyler03, thanks for your interest in our game Imangi. Wurdle is a great game - I've definitely spent a ton of time on it, and I think you'd enjoy both games.

Just to give you a quick sense of Imangi - it's pretty unique because it is a word game with a spatial reasoning aspect. You slide rows and columns to form words, and your goal is try try to make as many words as possible. The rows and columns wrap around, making the spatial aspect kind of like Rubik's cube. Check out some videos on our site.

Imangi also has a few modes of play:

- Standard Mode, which is about fitting as many words as possible on one board, and it appeals to people who really like to get involved in their game and spend a good half hour.

- Speed Mode, where you get to create as many words as possible in 3 minutes - this is my favorite, because it's quick.

- Daily Challenge, a board where you can compete against all the players in the world.

Different modes appeal to different people, so there's something for everyone.

Finally, our other game, Imangi Word Squares, has also been very popular. It's a simpler game than Imangi, and the game play is a lot more like Sudoku (rearrange a set of items on a square to fit a certain pattern - in this case, rearrange letters to form words going across and down). Check ou the video here. I'm completely addicted to that one right now :D

7. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I have them both and like them both. They are not at all similar to one another, which is why I enjoy them both. Wurdle is like boggle, except the letters have to be connected to one another. There is lots of different gameplay, with different size word squares, timers, etc. Game play is very smooth.

Imangi is the game I play when I have more time, since I am not on a timer and need to look at the board differently. Every move you make can change the board, and it is that aspect - sort of like thinking ahead on a chess board - that I find so compelling. Gameplay on this one is smooth too.

I also have Imangi Word Squares but for some reason am not a huge fan. It is like Sudoku - which I also don't really care for and that is probably why I don't like it as much as Imangi. No complaints about game play though - it is polished.

If you can swing it, I would pick up both wurdle and imangi - they do not overlap at all.

8. Yes I think it is all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Both games are great at what they do. It all depends on what type of game you are after.

9. Valmont

Valmont Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    I don't have Imangi yet, but I do have Wurdle and it is probably my favorite game on my touch right now. It seems every time I try to play just 1 round it usually ends up turning into at least 4. Its tons of fun if you like games like boggle. Imangi looks pretty cool though and quite a bit different from what I've seen in word games, although I don't really go looking for them. I saw go with whatever play style suits you more, but I know you won't be disappointed in wurdle.

10. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Both good... but...

I'm on the side of Wurdle. I got them both about the same time and have spent a good amount of time with each. But I've noticed over time that I've stuck more with Wurdle. The biggest reason I think is that Wurdle is much more of a "quick play" game. I've noticed with Imangi that I want to spend a lot of time with it to get a board as full of words as possible -- that that game mode is the one I like best on Imangi...

Wurdle is a quick, fun play game and I've loved every update they've made with the game. Plus I can put my own background pictures on it so I get to see my daughter's face looking at me when I'm killing time on a business trip.

But it comes down to preference and the time you usually spend with a game. Imangi is a good game for a lot of deep thought into the words and what you can do with them, but to get a real high score you've got to spend a long time with it. Wurdle is a fun pick up and play then put away game -- though the new multi-player bit has really added an extra punch to it.

You can't go wrong with either... I just find I haven't fired up Imangi in a few weeks...

11. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Wurdle is much better for most users. Imangi might have a little more production value and more press coverage, but the gameplay will annoy many people in my opinion.

If you have some words already and want to move one letter to another place it's taking many minutes of boring row and columns moving, if you don't want to destroy the existing words. And you will have to do this, if you want to get a highscore.

Wurdle has a fixed board and you can really concentrate on finding words.

12. Graham808

Graham808 Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Wurdle wins

My view is Wurdle.
    Imangi takes a lot more concentration than wurdle.
    I play wurdle a lot my friend and I play the timed game for three minutes passing the itouch back to each other trying to get on the high scores. I must say that travelling to and from work doesn't seem like a chore anymore.
    Both games are great however but Wurdle is defo the game for a quick blast when you have a minute to spare.
    My view would be buy both if you have the money. If you want a quick fix game then buy Wurdle. Want a more brain tasking game then buy Imagi.
    Both are quality products well written and executed both are worth the money.

13. JuncoPartner

JuncoPartner Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Developer, Redwind Software
    Dublin, Ireland
    Haven't played Imangi, but Wurdle is one of my favourites of all apps at the moment.

14. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    By the way, I know that Imangi can seem very difficult and unintuitive at first. It was definitely like that for me - took me a while to get it, because it throws that spatial reasoning aspect into the mix.

That's why Keith put together this tutorial video:

http://www.imangistudios.com/videos.html (Imangi Tutorial)

Many people have told us that this video is incredibly helpful, and they enjoyed the game a lot after watching.

15. coolfrost

coolfrost Member

Jun 13, 2008
    How about WordsWorth

Has anyone tried out the new word game 'WordsWorth'? It is quiet different fromWurdle and Imangi. Let me know your thoughts?

16. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    My vote would be Wurdle. ;) I love the fact that I can personalize the background picture.

17. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    I am also a big fan of Wurdle. Imangi's Wordsquares is also fun, but a different kind of game. I ended up deleting Imangi but still have (and enjoy) Wurdle.