I'm making a game - Gamcenter or OpenFeint

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by 99c_gamer, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Enco

Enco Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Game Center by miles.

I'm putt off when I see that games use OpenFeint. Something about the service just makes me detest it.

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    OF was always my fave until GC came around. Eventually it will overtake OF so get in now while the gettings good. Maybe use the OF GC combo for the unlucky few not on 4.0.

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Open Feint, there's nothing about GameCenter that I like so far.

4. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I can only tell from the developer perspective but Gamecenter is soooo much more awesome than Open Faint. The integration is just simple and the stuff works without any need to tinker around.

I also guess GC will have a huge market penetration as every iOS user already has a GC account with his iTunes account.

For my new game I'm gonna support GC exclusively.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't, so I can only assume there are more like me.

I'm not really fond of either service to be honest. OF is ugly, badly set out and doesn't perform well on my device, and all the talk of GameCenter having limits for number of achievements and so on just means I can't even begin to take it seriously.

So my vote goes to Plus+. Looks better, performs better, supports data sending (e.g. gifts in Pocket Frogs) and online save backups, as well as all the usual stuff, achievements, leaderboards and so on.

6. iviaiko

iviaiko Member

Oct 15, 2010
    just make the gameplay like cut the rope and it'll be a hit!

7. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    good news! I added Gamecenter and it was a success!
    I decided not to do OpenFeint because one leaderboard is enough.

unfortunately the gameplay is nothing like cut the rope. it's actually better :p

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok be sure to add achievements too (the more the better). There's no reason to keep game center games with no achievements on an account with a 50 game limit max. I will keep the games with achievements without question over games with no achievements.

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    so make achievements so zincous will keep the game :p

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Fixed ;)

Also, I delete any game on Game Center with no achievements almost instantly, no point in keeping it really.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While going with Game Center only means your game can't be played by iPad players (yet) nor does it support Open Feint's messaging and other extras, I'm finding it far less invasive than OF's heavier and heavy footprint. Plus I'm finding more and more loading issues with OF (often not making the connection or taking forever to do so), whereas GC seems to load up instantly almost every time!

12. VTX

VTX Well-Known Member

My next game (soon to be released) will have both OpenFeint and GameCenter support.

I do however not use the default OpenFeint popups, but rather custom opengl (for extra smoothness and game integration) popups.

13. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    Hey Guys,
    I'm the Founder and CEO of OpenFeint... I thought I'd jump in and ask a quick question. For those of you who aren't so happy with OpenFeint, I'd love to hear specifically what you think we could do better or improve on. And for those who are happy with it, I'd also like to hear what we could be doing better :)

Rather than hijacking the thread -- a PM an email will do. I'll watch the thread though.

As a side note, lots of developers (hundreds) are using our GC + OF tools and really like them. If you haven't checked them out, they are available for free on our website.

Thanks for supporting us!

14. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    (To lazy to send PM)
    Open feint is awesome, way more features then gc. But GC looks MUCH better and really simple and to the point. But the main reason for me is becuase it's now the official one and i hate having 10 different accounts with different achievements making it really pointless. I'm not really sure what you can do about that though.

15. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009

Hi Jason nice job with OpenFeint. :D
    My experience as a developer being new to both of these I actually tried to implement OF first and it was not that easy to do.
    On the other hand to setup gamecenter I just copy and pasted about 50 lines of code, added one framework and I have a fully functioning leaderboard.

If I could add a super lightweight version of OF with simple push button setup, adding it would be no brainer.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Also too lazy to PM, but I'll list my main dislikes with the service.

GUI. It doesn't seem as intuitive as it could be, for example the 'X' button to close it is tiny and it takes several attempts before I hit it, often hitting the ad banner instead. It seems like it's better suited for the iPad than iPhone/iPod. Plus I plain just don't like the style... I'll admit that's just my opinion and there are probably people who love it, but it's not for me, it doesn't feel like it fits in with the super-sleek and clean Apple "UI 2.0" vibe.

Performance. It's not terrible, but on my iPod Touch 2nd gen it just doesn't feel as lightweight and smooth as services like Plus and Crystal. I have no idea whether or not it is lightweight, but it feels like more of a performance hog on my device than it should be. I get a slight delay pressing almost every button, that doesn't happen with other services.

Intrusive. On first launching an app you get, what is it, 3 screens related to OF before you reach the main menu? That just seems like too many to me, is it not possible to get that stuff over and done with a little faster?

That's about it. There are redeeming features, I really like having the ability to change my username and the IM feature is great too. It just feels like it needs a little more cleaning up before it becomes amazing.