I'm in quite a bind at the moment...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Shade, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    #1 Shade, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    I know this really doesn't belong here but I trust the members here more so than elsewhere.

Well, earlier today I was outside and it was raining quite hard at the time. When I got inside i noticed that my touch wouldn't turn on (well it does turn on but hangs at the apple logo and has a bunch of white lines going across the screen). Anyways I did some research and found out that apple has a white strip indicator inside of their devices to indicate water damage. Well, from what I understand it is located in the headphone jack connection. I looked inside and I see a white strip (assuming this is it of course) and it is completely white (I had my headphones in at the time). Since the indicator has supposedly not been triggered I'm not sure whether to take it to Apple or Best Buy or if i should do something else. Advice?

(It "doesn't work" and doesn't turn on)

2. slomper

slomper Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Go to apple.

3. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Any specific reason? I've heard they inspect your device and such.

Also my backlight just stopped functioning, I can see the apple logo and it's "loading" but it's been doing that for like 20 minutes now. Should i let the battery run out and then bring it in?

Edit: it stopped loading and now it only shows the apple logo.

4. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I believe there is also a water indicator in the usb connection thing in the bottom of the phone/touch. I would try checking in there, (im not sure where its at, but its in there)

5. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Man that sucks. I really hope you get everything sorted out. I remember how PO'd I was when my home button broke (still gets stuck). :p

Good luck :(

6. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I don't see an indicator, also, this is an iPod Touch 2G

7. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008

Hmmmm dunno, I remember when something was wrong he blew air in there to check it out along with the one in the headjack. but its an iphone

Have you tried restoring the touch?

8. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    I would waite a day or so and if still dont work i would bring it in i dont see what you have to lose ether you get a free one or you buy a new one and if you dont bring it in you still buy a new one imo good luck

9. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Well the way I see it is that if I bring it into Best Buy I could probably tell them it just isn't working and say something like it stopped working because it was overheated or something since there seems to be no proof of water damage, but I'm not sure whether to bring it into Best Buy (since thats where I bought it and have a warranty there) or apple (the one year plan that comes with the device). I'm unsure as to how either would respond, I'd want to go where I have a higher chance of getting a replacement since I'm a college student at the moment and don't really have the money to fund a new touch :(

10. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    im not 100% but i think if you buy the plan from best buy they dont care what happened unless its lost or stolen so go there

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I'd go to Best Buy first, that way if they turn you down you can go to Apple with a little experience... With Apple, they'd probably write something about you on your customer profile...With Best Buy, you can always go to another store with experience under your belt and know how to get them to give you a new one

12. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Any suggestion on who to go to in Best Buy and what to say?

13. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    You could try going to talk to Customer Service (I think thats where you need to go) not sure who you should speak with though.

14. Newton1221

Newton1221 Member

Nov 13, 2008
    i would definitely try best buy, as long as it doesnt look physically damaged they'll prolly just give you a new one, you better have a receipt or something though, just be like it stopped working

15. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I believe i have the warranty and receipt.

As an update my device is currently out of battery, the back light ceases to function whatsoever, and the white strip in the headphone jack input is still white. While it was still charged, it was stuck on the apple screen with that loading circle.

Should I charge it or leave it the way it is?

16. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Need help

Ok guys, I really need help now, I'm gonna be going into Best Buy tomorrow and I'm not quite sure what to expect. I let the iPod sit for about 2 days in rice but that didn't do anything. There are no water spots on the screen, the touch screen doesn't work, and my backlight stopped functioning all together (its like looking at the original gameboy screen without a backlight). The water detection strip is completely white.

Should I go in playing dumb and just say it doesn't work?
    Should I try to pass it off as a overheating issue?
    Should I say that I had been experiencing these problems some time now (back light and touch screen not working from time to time) and it has gotten to the point where it was permanently like this?

If I do any of these what are the chances of exchanging for a new one altogether as I really would rather not get a refurbished one.

Lets not forget there are many many Best Buy's out there and each of them interprets policies slightly differently.

Thanks in advance.

Shade

17. Are you sure this isn't just a case of restoring the device? Have you tried holding the home button while connecting to iTunes and doing a restore?

18. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Would that really do anything? If the damage was caused by water it probably caused a short circuit in the hardware. I doubt restoring the firmware/software would really do anything.

19. Shade

Shade Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Yeah.. no that didn't help at all, adding to what I've previously said, would it be better to go in with it charged to demonstrate or leave the battery dead?

20. @Kuratsu:
    Well that's what I am saying- are we absolutely positive it's water damage that's stopping it from starting up?
    I have had a few instances of locking up on the Apple logo, and had to restore to fix it.
    Obviously if water is definitely the cause, then that's a different matter. I'm just trying to cover all angles.