iPad I'm giving up my PSP...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    I hope no one minds that I'm posting this topic on this forum, but I'm so encouraged by the progress of game app development that I've decided to sell my PSP. Ever since I got my touch, I rarely play with my PSP and the success of the app store has firmly changed my view on the necessity of media driven game systems. Downloadable content is the way to go and just like how iTunes forever changed the way music is purchased, the same will happen to games.

Much better for the environment too.

2. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    re: Fall of PSP

re: the Fall of the PSP

Attached Files:

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I sold my psp and games the day I got my iPhone, to Gamestop. I miss a few games, but have kept very involved tracking this site and the app store.

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yeah these days I don't use my PSP much, either.
    I think its biggest problem are the games. I mean when was the last time they released a good game for this system?
    You can count all the great games for the PSP games on one hand.

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Me 2, but I ditched my NDS

6. Haven't played my DS since the app store opened, and have been seriously considering getting rid. Perhaps I can wrap it up and give it to my daughter as a Christmas present! :D

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Well, Super Stardust Portable was released today as a PSN download (for PSP). Having had a hand in its development, I'm biased of course, but it's a good game for the system ;)

8. MarkEightThree

MarkEightThree Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Design
    Toronto, CA
    I completely stopped playing my DS, and that's with an M3 Real DS card. It's just easier to carry around one do-it-all device that's smaller than a wallet.

Not having to deal with the disappointed why is this guy playing with a kid's toy? stares is also a huge bonus.

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    revolutionary....

10. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Surely the problem remains - with the "A List" games on the iPhone (Kroll, Toy Bot Diaries, Crash Bandicoot etc.), most could be finished in their entirety in 3 or 4 hours, at most. At the prices they're charging, there's no incentive/justification to make longer/larger games.

To be honest, while I've bought quite a few budget games, I'm very disappointed at the lack of more 'meaty', substantive game titles.

11. Same here I'm almost off my DS. Pic Pic, Professor Layton, Prism, Nurikabe once I finish those games I'm completely done with it. Now just need to quit WoW..got new expansion so that didn't help though.

12. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Ha that's funny, I was actually considering a PSP, as some sort of portable emulator for NES games

13. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    I think at 4.5 months post App store opening one can still be patient. At 8-12 months, one may have cause for unrest. One prevailing concern is whether gamers will poney up the >$9.99 that will encourage substantive game releases...

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Same here, stop almost all NDS games after getting iPhone.

Personally, I find myself a some time casual gamer whole play on iPhone during commute. I think NDS used to be the king of this genre, but when more "meaty" games become mainstream, less and less short and fun titles available. iPhone, in the current offer, fits the gap left behind.

I don't mind paying say US$2-3 for a game taking 15 to 30 minutes to complete and it keeps being fun to me to get back to it later.

15. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    PSP and DS are only good if you unbrick them.

in which case i unbricked my PSP and am playing the european VERSIOn of LOCO ROCO 2. out for release in North america next year,

16. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    I agree there is nothing "deep" yet out there, but like any new game platform, it takes some time before developers learn how to maximize the system's capabilities. Also, higher quality games take much longer to develop and the App Sore has only been open for 4 months. I have a feeling year 2 will brings us some surprisingly great games. Hopefully sooner...

17. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Very good point...

18. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    mine's on eBay... ;)

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    um, bricking is when you when you mess with the system's firmware and end up messing it up and making it unusable. Turning it into a brick

That being said, I agree with you. I have a slim psp on 3.8 firmware that I won in a contest. The only reason I have it is in case I find someone that can add custom firmware on it.

I have a DS and a R4 card which I use every once in awhile. But only for games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Jump! Ultimate Stars and Chrono Trigger which have no competition on the iphone.

20. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    of course, 4 months isnt long to wait for in-depth games to come out..