IM+ 3.3 vs Beejive 3.0.2. Which is superior?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sparkles61785, Aug 26, 2009.

1. sparkles61785

sparkles61785 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I know that there are plenty of threads comparing both IM clients. However, these threads were created before the newest updates, and therefore do not address the push capability of both apps, and newest features. So now that Beehive is stable and IM+ is stable and top notch in their current state, which one is superior?

I have IM+, which I purchased when it was on sale. I keep hearing that Beehive is superior, but is it really? Both apps have Push, IM+ has twitter integration which puts it ahead of Beehive. It just seems as if Beehive is placed on a pedestal because of aesthetics. What makes Beehive better? (I ask because I am contemplating purchasing Beehive. However, I cant push myself to purchase it unless it is absolutely worth it, because $10 is steep for an app in my opinion. I just purchased an entire album on Itunes today for less than that!)

Some pros about IM+(that Beehive can't match):
    - Twitter integration
    - Switch between chats by swiping finger
    - Supports more IM clients
    - Better chat layout in my opinion (I like the transparent bubbles)
    - Geo-location support
    - Video transfer support

What are some of Beehive's pros? Is this purchase worth it? Please try to be objective.

2. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008

Also make sure you read my dedicated roundup - see http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=345828

3. rhenzhen

rhenzhen Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    NY, USA
    The only question here is do you have any missing features that you want but it's not on IM+? Seriously, I would never pay an app for IM clients. I also have IM+ but i didn't buy it. I won it on twitter. I didn't even realize that i won coz i tweeted only once about their contest. LOL! So far, Im happy with IM+ coz it offers a lot of features. But, i don't use all those features. So, If you are satisfied IM+ just save your money.

4. josh.hofer

josh.hofer Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    The only IMing app worth using is BeejiveIM.

5. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Quote from my roundup ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=345828 ):

Cons:
    - Unlike with the two (in my opinion) best apps, it doesn’t have any shortcut for one-tap / one-shake switch to the last message received
    - Compared to Agile, no full MSN conference support
    - Unlike with Agile, no Mobile flag and only six types of flags
    - Unlike with BeejiveIM, limited user handling / grouping capabilities
    - Unlike with BeejiveIM and just like Agile, no file transfer or chat log export (sending)

6. Petrus

Petrus Well-Known Member

Most of the pros are right but on a 3gs, you can do a video transfer as if it was a picture.

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I've been using IM+ Lite for quite a while. If you don't mind the ads then it's free free free.

8. guant

guant Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    nothing compares to beejive, its a great app

9. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    You can switch chats in beejive by tapping your finger. While in a chat just touch their name at the top and you'll get a graphic drop down that scrolls left and right.

I've never had IM+ but I'd guess that by now they've probably caught up with Beejive. So really just go with whatever. But if I hadn't already been using beejive since last year it would probably still be my choice for a couple reasons. Long term viability, it's been around a long time...was jivetalk on BB's, and stability.

10. minga

minga Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I used to use beejive but it was heaps laggy and slow. the main issue was in the contacts list scrolling up and down it kept lagging. and also the keyboard sometimes lagged in conversations.

switched to IM+ about a month ago and its sweeett. seems alot more stable. i like how u can lock orientation to portrait or landscape if u want to. (beejive might have this too idk)

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I used to have IM+ lite and it was okay. If you don't want to pay, the. This is pretty decent. I love BeeJive a ton more though.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've never had this problem, I'm actually on it right now and aside from a little lag as it loads initially (literally about 3 seconds) it's fine... scrolling up and down about 150 contacts fast as anything.

13. Sylvie808

Sylvie808 New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Great little topic.
    And Nice work--thank you for sharing- for me this makes perfect sense though.
    simulation credit demande pret personnel en ligne taux rachat on peut effectuer trs rapidement une simulation et une demande de prt personnel en ligne simulation credit demande pret personnel en ligne taux rachat

14. josh.hofer

josh.hofer Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Sounds like you weren't hiding offline contacts or you had chat windows still open with long conversations.

beejiveim is anything but laggy.

15. jakimo

jakimo Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This may sound crazy, but I can't stand the IM+ icon. This does make a diff for me!

Bee has a nice icon.

= )

I'm sure both are fine, but I'll go with Bee.

16. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    I have been using JiveTalk/BeeJive since 2006 when it was free and in beta on BB devices. I probably will never use another mobile IM client as long as BeeJive is around. The devs have put some hard work in continuing support for it and I'm one loyal sob.

17. ken2012

ken2012 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Complaints are the greatest offerings that God obtains from human beings, as well as the most faithful prayers human beings might utter to God.

18. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Looks like Beejive had an update there but removed ICQ which I have to admit annoys me as it's one of the protocols I use and it wasn't exactly a cheap app.
    Might be time for me to look at some alternatives.