iPad Illuminations

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tunawrap, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
  2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
  3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Looks like a great game. Any one care to review?

4. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    looks like REZ... rez was pretty fun but didn't LOVE it like almost everyone else did, but a clone for 4 bucks sounds awesome to me anyways!

5. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
  6. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
  7. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
  8. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    dont buy yet

well, just wasted my money. cant calibrate tilt controls and i dont want to play standing up. also you can only shoot in the direction you are moving. it could have been a classic if these 2 issues got fixed. damn i hate being impulsive. never again.

9. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    developer responded

well the dev responded to an email and his first update will include auto calibration and sensitivity options so looks like the game will be a must buy once it gets added.

10. dcescott

dcescott Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I went to the killer robots website, the video demo was impressive. One thing I might add is the choice of sound effects and music mix well. A bit on the retro side, but it's not too over the top. I await the update before purchasing.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Looks cool. Background's kinda bland,though.

12. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The background moves btw, and it's 3d. The app looks pretty sweet in motion. I've been having tons of fun with the game, I can't wait for calibration :p.

13. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Developer responded

quotes from the developer I received today:

"Should take about 1-2 weeks to finish up the update + the usual wait period for Apple's approval. I've moved calibration to the top of the to-do list (definitely the most requested feature), so that'll get done in the near future if nothing else."

I also asked for more options and bigger fireworks:

"I'll certainly consider adding difficulty options or a "start at higher levels" option. Glad you like the graphics. Bigger and better fireworks effects is high on the to-do list, since of course that's most of the point of the game. ;-)"

Im feeling much better about the purchase. the game is really fun, starts off slow but gets crazy good after level 35. graphics are great.

14. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Fantavision for PS2. That was 'Ok' ...

I'll read some reviews, probably end up picking it up. :rolleyes:

R-Fly

15. Bachus

Bachus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Killer Robots
    Baton Rouge
    #15 Bachus, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    Hey all. Developer of Illuminations here.

As said, calibration is definitely being added. I had always intended it to be there, but put it off for the first update not realizing how important it was to everyone. My bad. :eek:

Just a love of fireworks (our family get togethers have been known to spend thousands on personal firework shows) and the thought, "Hey, fireworks could make a cool game."

Not a clone of Rez, but it was definitely an inspiration. I'd love to do more music/gameplay integration ala Rez in future versions.

That's a fair criticism, though it's partially a stylistic and gameplay choice. As said the background is fully 3D and the camera moves through the virtual city. Emphasis on virtual as Tron was a big influence as far as the graphics go. But to keep the background in, well, the background and not interfering with the gameplay the graphics were kept deliberately simple. It's also partially technical due to the limitations of the iPhone. There's a lot of polygons being pushed out, and flat colors are faster. All that being said, graphics upgrades are on the to-do list.

Now that the holidays have settled down I'm back to working on Illuminations (and future games) full-time, so if there's any suggestions or comments or anything just throw me a line (or, you know, post in this thread :)). Thanks muchly to everyone who's tried the game and likes it.

16. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008

can you consider the option of moving in one direction and shooting in the other. i think 2079 is the name of the game that does this well.

17. Bachus

Bachus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Killer Robots
    Baton Rouge
    I've been considering it, but it's not super high on the list of priorities. Maybe as a secondary or alternate gameplay mode.

18. Bachus

Bachus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Killer Robots
    Baton Rouge
    Just a quick update to say that I've submitted version 1.1 to Apple, so hopefully it'll get approved soon. New stuff:

- New Options Screen.
    - New calibration option for setting the neutral tilt for movement.
    - New vibration option for iPhones when firing off a bomb.
    - New option for drawing or hiding the touchscreen overlays for the firing areas.
    - Fixed several bugs with the fire controls. You can now fire a bomb without having to stop firing.
    - The background will now change colors on new levels.
    - New flashing rocket flare that will always drop a pickup.
    - Several new firework explosion patterns.

19. doctorded

doctorded Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT Engineer
    Plantsville, CT
    Sweet an Update!

Now I can final play this game without being hunched over the couch! :D

The music in the game kick a**! Look forward to this update.

*so will see it in 3-4weeks, thanks to 'Apple' :p

20. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Update out!

the update is out and the calibration works great. it's a must buy now imo.