iPad IGN's 1112 review is brutal. Is it valid?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmelrose, Dec 14, 2008.

1. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    For those who have played, here is IGN's review of 1112:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/938/938159p1.html

What I am wondering is if it was a reviewer who wanted too much from the adventure? His concerns seem to be focused on things outside the contraints the iPhone puts on the gaming and more on core gameplay issues (plot, quality control, etc). Yet some of the store reviews just GUSH. So... confusion has set in on this one, especially for the price.

By the way, IGN has most iPhone reviews on their wireless site. A good source for game info, if you're interested!

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this game!

2. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    I've made the same question in a 1112 thread and an user (sorry I didn't remember the nick) said that he don't agree with this review.
    So,read it like "the bad of this game is...",and if the issue exposed are critical for you,wait until an update or a price change (like me).

3. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    I have to disagree. I thought the game wasn't that hard. I only used online help once, but I usually have to with adventure games. I also loved getting those extra options. Reading them really added character to the game. I also had no issues with the plot. I enjoyed revealing more and more about the world.

4. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    #4 aghartastudio, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    yeah it really ruined my evening when I saw that yesterday!
    One of the most stupid review ever! the guy actually barely played the game from what i've read.
    And killing the music ? what the hell? we had an article giving Two big thumbs to the music the day before on pocketgamer!

worst, he the reviewer had the update ready with spelling and tutos included and didn't install it ..
    come on they give 8 and 9 to most small game that easily , why the hell did they murdered us like that ?

For the record there won't be any price change for ep01 , I won't prostitute the game , I'm still working on the next episodes (they will be priced 4$ something), and making another game at the same time (Expect a good surprise there:))

It's a shame to see all those effort wasted , (now I guess it may difficult to have the game succeeding in the US market)... too bad we are powerless to have this unfair review modified or removed... I though only pros were working at Ign's...

Pocketgamer review just the day before:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/1112/review.asp?c=10447
    Customers must be really puzzled now :)

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Maybe he has personal grudge against one of your teams.. or maybe you steal his girlfriend?

6. #6 wastedyuthe, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    It's "murder" us like that, just so you know.

I feel for you buddy. I haven't got the game yet but will definitely buy it. I admire your enthusiasm for making the game as good as it can be. People complained about spelling errors and lack of instructions, and you provided a fix. This reviewer couldn't even be bothered to play the new update. It's a shame some people follow these reviews blindly. I'm just glad I am part of this forum.

7. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I find this game without comparison on the iPhone for this genre, I've nearly finished it, and very occasionally looked at how too's if I've been totally stuck.

I love the music, and like how you can change it on the alarm clock with the tuning dial. I nearly threw the phone across the room when I realised I just had to tilt the iPhone vertically to use the phone, you've no idea how long I'd been trying to use it :)

My point is, I love the game... the only part of the IGN review I partially agree with is the number of items you can't properly interact with.

8. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    you should post some comment on ign's site if you all want to help!
    maybe future players will care!

9. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    I just finished playing through 1112, and I thought it was great. Sure, it was a bit convoluted, but I enjoyed reading all the random object descriptions and stuff.

As others have said, he clearly played the game before the grammar corrections went through and I'm wondering if it was also before the tutorial, the absence of which made the game rather more confusing, imo.

It is short though and, plotwise, raises more questions than it answers. But it's episode one of 8 (?) so that's acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

10. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    i loved the first episode! cant wait for the second one!

11. I have submitted a comment -
    "Try reviewing the new update instead of the out-of-date one.
    The new version has in-game instructions AND corrected text. People should ignore this review as it is out of date already!"

12. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    aghartastudio, please don't despair. Obviously the reviewer didn't "get it" which is no fault of yours. I personally enjoyed 1112 more than any other game I purchased and am looking forward to further episodes.

In my opinion, part of the fun of 1112 was wandering from location to location trying to figure out what to do next. It looks like that reviewer expected to be told exactly what to do and where to go instead of using a little brain power.

Keep up your good efforts and you'll always have a following :)

13. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    I've buy it but not yet have the time to really play it, the intros and stuff looked nice tbh.

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Agarthastudio - Im assuming English isn't your native language?

15. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    He's native language is Francais.

16. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    correct:) I always write in English, for most of my docs and I post on forums for years, still I have bad habits and I still makes many mistakes (Especially true since I'm a fast writer;))

I used to work for a US company 10 years ago making Obscure PC games no one heard about, I guess it helped a bit:)

17. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Honestly, I feel like a lot of reviews for iPhone games on IGN have poor credibility. I've seen a lot of games reviewed poorly because of overlooked controls, or simply not enough time spent with it to realize the ins and outs of the control and gameplay. I'm kind of feeling like they don't play a game enough to be able to write a review on it, specifically iPhone games.

18. Isn't anyone else going to comment on the review page? I'm the only from here so far.

19. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    That was me.

The review has several flaws:

- doesn't take into account there aren't other real "traditional" graphical adventures for the iPhone

- he missed the point in just changing the ambient music using the alarm clock radio's tuner knob

- published a view of the initial, 1.0 version some days after the new version had been released with cleaned up English and the added help

- haven't compared the title to Fade on Pocket PC / Windows Mobile (or, for that matter, Acedior on Palm OS) - two games of the same developer. 1112 is incomparably better than Fade - there is simply no comparison. And Fade has won the PPCMag Annual Awards in the Adventure category several times... While the iPhone platform already has much better games than Windows Mobile (particularly now that Orions has been ported), there's still a definite lack of real adventures; therefore, 1112 is still the best of the genre. (Soul Trapper is a completely different game and is very hard for a non native English speaker as the speech isn't transcripted.)

While I do agree that, if the devs indeed release 6 episodes each at the same price($8), this may not be very cheap (I do hope subsequent chapters will be a bit cheaper), but for adventure fans (particularly if you don't want to [or, with the Touch G2, still can't] jailbreak your phone), it's still a highly recommended title.

20. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008

Don't worry, I'll come up (for iPhone Life) with my first "Games for the iPhone" article very soon; in there, I explain why I consider 1112 a great game and why the IGN "review" is flawed.