IGN Top 25 iPhone Games (revamped as of Sept 8, 2010)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 9, 2010.

1. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm glad Drop7 is up there(and so high!), one of the few reasons I keep my iPod. Probably my favorite iDevice game of all time and right up there for my favorite games on any platform.

Would love to see it on other handheld platforms.

Most of the IGN list I really don't agree with. Zenonia really? That game wasn't even good when it first came out and now with all the RPG competition it has been getting it looks worse than ever. My opinion of course.

2. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    One surefire way to confirm that IGN has no credibility is their recent "Top 5 Racing games" list. While Cubed Racer Racer may be a fun game (it's one of the few I recommend), it did not deserve to eke out Jet Car Stunts by any stretch of the imagination. Although I've never played Snail Mail, it's hard to take that title seriously. I'm sure that IGN omitted Jet Car Stunts purely for political or egoistic reasons - either they needed to omit it in order to avoid limiting sponsorship opportunities, or IGN was personally intimidated by the ultimate difficulty of the paid/dlc tracks. How else could one explain that omission, given that it was a) IGN Editor's choice shortly after its launch and b) on last year's top 25 list.

Usually IGN doesn't have to worry about games such as Squareball diverting sales from their shilled games (i.e. from big developers that give the bread-and-butter "advance previews"), but recently Jet Car Stunts surpassed Real Racing and Need for Speed on the iTunes top racing games in the USA, making it an unwise choice for IGN to juxtapose with games from major publishers. Now that IGN has omitted it, their sponsors will be happier, and its worth noting that none of the latter have to worry about lost sales to due Drop 7's high profile since it doesn't target the same demographic.

3. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Or, maybe there are such things as opinions that vary between people...¬_¬

Yes, Jet Car Stunts would be on my top 5 racers list, but so would Cubed Rally Racer over Need for Speed Shift and probably as well Real Racing. Does that mean I'm wrong, or bias, or trying to get attention? No. I can see why they might not like Jet Car Stunts as it is very trail and error gameplay that can get frustrating and isn't for typical arcade racer lovers.

4. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    It's not relevant to "see why they might not like Jet Car Stunts," since they obviously must have liked it at one point (i.e. prior to IGN realizing that their endorsement might start impacting sales of Real Racing and Need for Speed Shift); the same outfit gave JCS 9.0/10.0, and named it Editor's Choice, so something bad must have occurred that swayed their opinion, such as the addition of Retina display support, antialiasing, downloadable replays, or the new Lite and DLC tracks that were released since IGN's first review. Either that, or their sponsors got edgy after learning that JCS is one of the most anticipated titles for windows 7 and Android platforms.

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Every time someone slags off IGN, a Polar Bear dies.

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I think it was a decent list, except for the top 2

7. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    this is interesting.

8. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Just adding my two cents...

I haven't seen IGN's other lists, but I was pretty surprised they didn't have Tilt to Live. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game, but I do think it's one of the better-designed quick-play games out there, and a perfect fit for the iDevice. If I wanted to show someone that my iPhone can provide unique gaming experiences, that's one of the first apps I'd drag out.

(I'd also drag out Space Invaders: IG: amazingly smooth controls for a shooter that Cave was quick to emulate.)

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    IGN new Appshow:

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hold up for the IGN haters to chime in.

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Cubed Rally Racer is very much a trial and error game. The controls, and physics are frustrating at the beginning of the game, just like Jet Car Stunts. There are many parallels between the two games, which makes me wonder why they put Cubed Rally Racer ahead of Jet Car Stunts. I love CRR (played it for hours and hours), there is no chance JCS doesn't deserve to be high rated, especially since they have very similar frustrations (trial and error, hard handling).

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah exactly. I enjoy Cubed Rally Racer and Snail Mail a lot more than Jet Star C*nts. And it's funny how he talked about IGN's credibility for including Snail Mail without ever having played it. He can kiss his credibility good bye.

FYI, Snail Mail was everyone's fave racer back in 2008 and TA was even forced to update its Top 10 (or 25) games just to include Snail Mail as readers' favourite. Seems like he's just a JCS fanboy who has little idea about Appstore games.

Be careful talking about sponsors. It's fine if you accuse IGN. But accuse TA and you're banned. Fact is, all websites have sponsors. Don't be naive.

13. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    #93 da shiz wiz 19, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    I think saying "Jet Car C*nts" qualifies as a credibility buster.

I like how you agree with that statement and go on to dismiss his opinion because he is apparently a JCS fanboy who knows nothing about the app store.

14. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #94 Grubjelly, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Mainly I just wanted to point out that IGN isn't even consistent with itself. If you rank their iphone game reviews by rating, you'll see that JCS is one of the few games rated 9.0 or above (IGN rated Spider: TSOBM 8.9, and that was still in IGN's top 10). Thus my suspicious about something having happened between IGN and their sponsors that caused them to suddenly drop JCS from the both the 5 top racing games list and top 25 list. That's the only rational explanation for excluding it, excepting something more personal such as the reviewers and editors at IGN having been crushed by its difficulty - Levi did mention having resorted to Casual mode. As I mentioned above, JCS only improved over time with the addition of AA, downloadable replays, and other stuff currently missing in Cubed Rally Racer, which is the same price. JCS also runs better on older devices.