IGN Top 25 iPhone Games (revamped as of Sept 8, 2010)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Getting onto IGN's best 25 list is no cause for celebration. As the most spam-filled and mercenary website on the net (i.e. every other page is an AD page), they're a disgrace to the gaming community. I'm sure the only reason they exist is to shill for their sponsors and intersperse paid entries in their "best of" lists with a couple high-skill titles such as Squareball in order to validate the rest of the list, and give the impression IGN has advice worth following. Their readership is likely to recognize a title resembling sudoko, hence the inclusion of Drop 7, which considering the skill level of that developer was like winning the lottery (Drop 7 pretends at depth, but too much luck, no original idea or praiseworthy content, and no original implementation of idevice functions).

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I really like the list. Of course, there could be more/other games in it. But it's a subjective thing, always. And I really like the top 3 decisions. And I can sign them, would even vote Drop7 to no. 1. Timeless classic, just brilliant.

3. Jayross

Jayross Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Damn IGN, they really know how to maximize their page views.

What a hard list to read. Clicking everytime you want to see the next title? wow.

4. Jayross

Jayross Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Got 6ETPYJXLTMMK thanks!

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    How does it "pretend at the depth" - The game is simple. I really don't like people who criticize a game without proof. (like evidence).

Either way, it's your opinion.

6. Jayross

Jayross Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I actually try not to get too worked up about ANYTHING IGN does... but somehow... they always get me.

This list seems very good, and I have added a few apps to my list of games that I want to get.

But, the lack of Jet Car Stunts, one of the best iPhone games ever made, seems very strange.

Also, I'm not really into JRPGs, but was I the only one who disliked Chaos Rings? I never finished it, but... I dunno.

Also, I thought Mirror's Edge on the iPhone was super great, it seems like it should have been on the list somewhere. Oh well.

7. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Err... I think this list is backwards...

8. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    List is a joke. Chaos rings was god awful, playing through a game 4 times? You gotta be kidding me. Each time there would be about 5 minutes of new story revealed while you're playing through the same areas and the same bosses and the same skills. I was so annoyed. A waste of $10 and a bunch of hours

9. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

dont worry ign cant do lists at all. Their animated films list was the worst I have ever seen.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    LMAO, weirdo.

11. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Where the heck is Enviro-Bear 2010 and Jet Car Stunts and Eliss?

And Osmos is overrated.

12. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    wtf why is spiderman on there...

13. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I read spider-man was too easy a game? And if that's the case, the looks really have to be shining to make up for the lack of game-play, challenge and fun-wise.

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Cause it freaking rocks?

15. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    they should make a list of best pick up and play iPhone games (Doodle Jump, Monster Dash, Flight Control, etc.)

16. coolestk!d

coolestk!d Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    School...
    Around
    Never heard of the first game, the guy in the video annoys me for some reason also. Oh well, at least Hook Champ was on there. But why Zenonia 1? I thought 2 was a huge improvement.

17. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    this is nonsense.

cheer up :)

18. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You kind of expect to disagree with charts like this one but not to the extent that I disagree with this chart. It's not to say that they haven't picked out some good games but they do seem to have deliberately avoided some obvious choices.

Drop7 is the one that I disagree with most being so high in the chart. I like games of this type and yet I'd much rather play Bejeweled or Super7 or any number of others. I found Drop7 to be interesting for a few games but ultimately a very limited concept without the polish of the titles that I've mentioned.

Osmos might scrape into the lower reaches of my chart but that would be all. It's different and nicely done but I have got stuck with it which seriously limits how much I'll play in future.

19. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i completely disagree.

drop7 has a fairly deep strategy more along the lines of sudoku. i think a lot of people underestimate the brilliance of drop7. it's definitely not for everyone, but i consider it in a class of its own. comparing it to super7 is silly. probably not the second best game in the app store, but its ingenuity makes it worthy of all the praise it gets. which is a lot.

the thing about osmos that i think is so great is the way it meshes with the device. there are plenty of games that have more action, more movement, deeper gameplay, a legitimate storyline...all the things that make a great game. that being said, most of those games would be better on another platform. osmos and the idevice is a great marriage and that counts more to me than 30 hours of gameplay that i'd rather be doing in front of a tv.

i do thing there were some glaring omissions. it's a crime that JCS isn't on the list. maybe even worse that tilt to live missed considering my opinion on osmos. there are many other games that could have made it and probably a handful that shouldn't have, but osmos and drop7 are 2 of my favorites and i was happy to see them recognized.

with so many hundreds of thousands of games available to this community, tastes are probably pretty varied. coming up with a comprehensive list of the best is impossible but i think ign did a really good job with some of their choices.

20. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Aren't top 10 top 25 lists all rather subjective? I mean, different people will always have different tastes, so naturally there'll always be lotsa disagreements in these cases. Personally I really didn't like Zenonia's grind fest, but I'm sure plenty of people love it.

Anyways, regarding the list I'd say ign made some good pics. While I don't think Osmos is the number 1 game, it's definitely a fantastic game. Same for squareball, brilliant game, but it's difficulty curve is just too much for me to warrant it's 'best of 09' title.

Either way I don't think we should bash ign's credibility since they're all decent games. Perhaps discuss what WE think should be the number one, what shouldn't etc. ;)