iPad iFishing 1.4 update out now! Opinions?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Dec 8, 2008.

1. #1 wastedyuthe, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    New update includes-

Fish-a-photo feature (use your own photo's for locations)

Boat autopilot (tap a place on the map to go there)

Luck meter (to help determine if you are in the right place with the right equipment etc)

Improved graphics on rod, boat, and stats.

I am downloading now (thanks to Greenlightjerky for the heads-up). Opinions?

[EDIT] Here is a piccy I took of the new update in action-

[​IMG]

So far this is a GREAT improvement. The UI has had a bit of a polish. Notice at the bottom of the screen, the reel bar now gives you a hint as to what speed is best to catch what type of fish. The map screen is MUCH easier to use now that you can just tap somewhere and the boat will go straight there (my Wife will be happy with that). The Fish-a-photo feature seems a good idea, but I will need to crop a photo to the correct aspect in order for it to fit the screen properly (the photo stretches to fit the screen). iPhoto users won't have a problem, I suspect, using photo's taken with their device. But Touch owners, such as myself, may have to do a little work to get a photo looking right.
    Overall so far, a BIG thumbs up. Well done Chris.

2. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Awesome, I'm downloading it now.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Same, I love this game, and the updates make it like getting a new game all over again! :D:D:D

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

ohh boy, Marker Felt. Who chose that font for this one? I've had enough in Notes.app.

5. MasonFried123

MasonFried123 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    wtf steering?

Umm the steering for me is honestly now horendous after the update. Just totally uncontrollable. Oh and by the flick fishing is 100x better.

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    How is it worse? It's the same as before except now you can optionally tap on the map itself instead of using the manual boat steering.

7. brewstermax

I knew it, I knew it. RPGGuy, face it. People love Flick Fishing, and iFishing is not wonderful. Its ok, but nothing worth $2.99. Maybe $.99

8. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Count me in the minority then, because I think ifishing is a better game then flick fishing - it is certainly more challenging and an overall better fishing experience.

9. brewstermax

I like to have to use the well made reel in Flick to actually have to do work. I dunno, but it makes me feel like I earned the fish. Plus iFishing just uses a variety of fish, but has no ties to the background, atleast not anymore. This makes Flick Fishing much better. Come on RPGguy, you're no. 2, just face it.

10. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #10 1337brian, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
    IMHO I have to respectfully disagree. In it's own right, I would gladly pay $2.99 for iFishing as it is a great game (I do play it as much if not more than Flick Fishing). But when you compare it to FF cost for Content, than I think Flick Fishing wins hands down. But still mad props to both dev's, as they have been very active in these forums and very helpful in terms of taking our requests for features, and other things. :cool:

11. brewstermax

Yes, I have to agree that you have to give them credit on being active in the forums. And I would appreciate it more if RPG would just admit that Flick is a competitor, but to drop it. Zwilnik and Hippieman are really helpful to people.

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well in terms of graphics, Flick fishing is absolutely amazing!!! But iFishing is coming along... I would also imagine Freeverse is a much much larger game devoloper than Egerter Software. But I'm just guessing here...

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I don't really care which game is 'better'. Flick Fishing is an arcade fishing game and should not be compared to a sim like iFishing. It doesn't simulate fishing as I know it. Take your discussion about Flick fishing to another thread. You didn't answer my question and are only here to start a flame war.

IFishing has been selling close to 1000 copies a day and I consider that a success. It was something I was very passionate about and I worked on it alone. I can't be great at graphics AND programming AND sound but I do the best I can. Don't need to be bashed about it. I'm happy with all the positive reviews and glad that other people are enjoying the game.

14. MasonFried123

Nov 19, 2008
    Okay okay fair enough. But I am wondering am I not getting the steering down? Because for some reason when I touch the wheel or water the boat goes crazy. Really trying to figure it out...

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iFishing uses backgrounds from Lower Buckhorn Lake in Ontario, Canada, and all of the fish in the game can be caught in that lake, with the exception of pike (but nearby lakes have them).

It is a very accurate simulation of fishing on an actual lake with the actual species you can find there.

16. MasonFried123

Nov 19, 2008
    I'm very sorry RPGguy...

I did not really mean to "bash" you. To be honest Im not one of those guys who go around bashing developers. And believe me I love iFishing I actually have both. But Im sure no matter how hard I try I will NEVER be able to create a game as good as iFishing. I did however not take into account that they are both different styles of fishing. I have downloaded the update and as I am playing it right now, I realize this app has the great potential to compete with Flick Fishing. I realize how hard it is being a developer and did not mean anything personal or mean to disrespect you or your app in any way. I'm very sorry.

17. MasonFried123

Nov 19, 2008
    Casting?

Is anyone esle having alot of trouble casting?

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Sorry off subject, don't have iFishing, but I have to say Blue Skies is the shit. Totally fun, engrossing game best arcade shooter on appstore.

19. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well I love the new update, The UI is much nicer. The Fish-a-Photo is a sweet addition! I have a bunch of places to take pics from down here in FL. Funny how when it first came out I was critical of not having enough background photos to fish on, now I can fish anywhere I want! :D Plus I like that I can turn the "luck" off, as I don't think I need it... Anyways thanks for keeping your app up to date, It is always one of the first apps I show to friends. Everyone likes the picture with their fish :p

20. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Few days ago, you were bashing Flick Fishing's update thread which I thought was very immature. You really don't have the character that you preach. Would certainly appreciate if you could be more able to accept other people's tastes.

Nevertheless, although I prefer Flick Fishing, I would say you've done a good job with this fishing sim.