iPad iFishing 1.3 update

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Version 1.3 is now available. Let me know if you like the changes :)

Hopefully the lite version will be approved soon as well.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Downloading now, what was added this release??? And BTW thanks for adding the multi-touch boat controls last update ;)

3. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Omg you added water fx?!?!?!?

OMG YOU ADDED WATER FX?!?!?!? IT'S AWESOME!!! And the fighting vibrate??? That was one of my biggest requests! You guys rock! great game! :D:D:D

4. President Mika

Nov 22, 2008
    I think if you added a Lite version, i'd pick up this one, added with water fx and fighting vibrate. Only thing I don't like(from the video) is the reel. I rather one more like Flick Fishing or IFish. Maybe in a further update you can include the option to choose between?

5. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I don't think it really needs it, I have both Flick fishing and iFishing. They are both different games in their regards. But the constant "reeling" gets old for me. For iFishing the one finger hold makes it more enjoyable in my opinion...

6. #6 wastedyuthe, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    I have just downloaded. Having a good play!

[EDIT] I like the changes. The water is the first most obvious change. I agree with your last comment on the old thread-

"It is a little better but won't be as dynamic as Flick Fishing's different animations for each location"

The thing is, you are overlaying the animated water effect over the static water in the photo. So you still have static waves as well as your animated waves. My idea (from the last thread) was to remove the water from the photos, and have animated water behind the photo of the rest of the background. But the problem with my way would be with the removal of water in the photo, the shadows of trees etc in the water would also be removed. So either way wouldn't be perfect I suppose. I think you have done the best you could do with what you have, and that's fine. At least we do actually have some movement on the screen now right?
    I still think you could do with implementing a slack like when you are not fighting a fish. When you are waiting for a strike, it looks kind of funny that the line still looks like something is pulling it as it isn't slack, know what I mean?
    Other than that, great changes. I am glad you have implemented fish fight based on actual size of the fish rather than the maximum size for that type, which is what I assumed you had done in the first place tbh. It's great you have added an in-game guide too.
    Well done Chris. Thumbs up from me ;)

7. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Really great update but one thing still bothers me: The fish finder shows plenty of fish but your fishing guide says that the place is fished out.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Keep in mind the way a fish finder works. It scrolls so you see a history of what's behind the boat as you're motoring. You may need to go back to the spot with the big fish. Unless you're stationary it's not going to be 100% reliable. This is just like real life :)

9. Yes I think this needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all. I have found this happening quite a few times myself, and I am wondering if it's because we don't give the finder enough time to update when we move. Chris, could you please clear this up? It's obviously something that causes confusion (there was enough mention of it in the old thread).

[EDIT] You're quick! I see you already answered before I posted this.

10. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Ok, I don't fish in real life so I did not know that.
    If this is how it works in real life however I'm ok with it.

I have to say with the update this is easily the best fishing game out there. I mean Flick Fishing is awesome and everything but it just can't compete with iFishing.

11. #11 wastedyuthe, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Just getting round to reading the in-game help, and you actually help in this particular-

"Make sure you stop the boat and to see if there are any fish under you before casting".

While this is good advise and certainly helps understand how the finder works, a little point- you should remove the "and" so it just says "Make sure you stop the boat to see..."

[EDIT] Just finished reading the rest of it, and can't find any other errors. You have written a great guide there. I only wish it was there in the first release so I wouldn't have flown off the handle like I did, not knowing how to set the hook :D I will re-submit an iTunes review based on this version (Damn it- I already gave it 5! Can't these stars go up to 6?)
    Well done!

12. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden

Everybody download this, appreciate its awesomeness and download the full game!

13. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    Awesome!!

RPGuy,

You are a Rocking Pocket Gamer!
    Good $h!p.

I really love the update. Its pretty perfect.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm dedicated to making this the best fishing game for the iphone... Here's what's in store for the next update:

iFishing 1.4:

-Added Fish-a-photo feature. Now you can fish at any location using photos from your device. Take pictures of your favorite fishing hole and use them in the game. Fish in the ocean, streams, or if you like abuse this feature to fish in strange locations like your pool, front lawn, the desert, or your cup of coffee. Now you can fish anywhere!

-Added autopilot option for the boat. Now you can tap or hold anywhere on the map and the boat will automatically go there.

-Luck - Now you can see how lucky you are given the location, lure, and the way you're reeling in. If your luck is low, you'll have change something. Watch the luck drop if you spook fish by missing strikes.

-Improved graphics of rod, boat, and stats

oh yeah and one more thing...

This will probably be the last update before the game goes full 3D. Yes that's right, a full 3D lake and boat. Once that transition happens you'll still be able to play the game in 'classic' mode by a toggle in the options screen.

15. The majority of that sounds fantastic Chris. I like the idea of tapping the map on where you want to be- why didn't anyone think of that before??? :D
    That will make it a lot easier to control for my wife (yes, she likes this game a lot!), as she can't steer for sh!t.
    You have got me very intrigued regarding 3D.
    The only thing I honestly don't like the sound of, is the inclusion of luck. I thought you were going for realism? Having a luck bar will reduce the sense of that imo. I don't suppose I can say much without having tested it out first, but that's my initial impression of this feature.
    One thing- how the hell am I supposed to do a comparison review of iFishing and Flick Fishing if you both keep making your apps better and better- ARGHHH!! :D
    If you want a beta tester, let me know ;)

16. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden

It already is.

wait... what? You're adding full 3D? Thats just amazing!
    Awesome, I can't wait for the update!

I purchased this and Blue Skies when they came out, at full price and despite both dropping in price considerably, I still think they were worth every penny I paid, unlike some other games *cough* motochaser *cough* were I just felt ripped off.

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I added the luck feature because people were leaving reviews like "I spent 30 minutes and didn't get a bite". This gives a little insight into what is happening in the game. You still have to use the strategies to increase your luck, but now you at least know when you'll never catch a fish. I may add an option to turn this off in the future because it's a training feature.

As for the 3D, the lake/boat view is already set up. I just need a 3D representation of each square on the map instead of an image. Should not take me very long.

18. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    wow, just wow!

19. Yes, PLEASE make the luck feature an option, because I know I will be happier without it for starters. If there are people out there who didn't catch one fish in 30 minutes, it's probably because they didn't reel in after casting. This is a mistake I made until you made an online guide available on your site. But now your in-game guide states you should reel in, perhaps that will help.
    Thinking about this, you know your guide says "set the hook" when you get a strike- well how about him reminding the player to reel in if they don't bother after 10 seconds from casting?