iPad iFighter is out!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Seishu, May 9, 2009.

1. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Finally it's out, and only a dollar!
    http://toucharcade.com/link/http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314099570&mt=8
    ----------
    s the ace pilot of the airforce in WWII, your mission is to destroy the secret weapon prototypes of the Nazis. Fasten your seat belt and get ready for some non-stop action!

Features:
    - 3 difficulty settings
    - 3 control modes
    - 4 huge levels
    - original sound tracks for all levels
    - spectacular end-of-level bosses

Recommended for fans of 1942, 1945, Raiden, SkyForce and Siberian Strike!
    ----------

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Not much of a fan on Top Down Shooter but I want to hear impression. I'm not going to TOFFT

3. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Have you tried the lite?

4. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I will have to try the lite too.

5. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Been waiting for this one...

BOUGHT!

6. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

This is a must-buy. I picked it up right when I saw it, and left a 5-star review for the lite version. Really an amazing flyer......and to give people such a quality game for just .99 cents will earn my purchase and great review, anytime

7. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Hmm... how to put this...?

Best. 194x shooter. Ever.

Yup, that ought to do it.

In my opinion, this is a better top-down shooter than Sentry Alpha, SkyFighter, or any of the others. Personally, this is the *the* top-down shooter that I've been waiting for.

I've been playing it constantly for hours (EpicForce tweeted the release!). I won't bother going into any details - I've posted links to screen shots, and you can try the lite version. If you like it, the biggest difference is that you can continue from any Mission that you've tried. The combination of accelerometer, swipe or pad controls, autofire or tap to shoot (thank you thank you thank you for that!), and the many different - and large - backgrounds, not to mention planes/guns/boats and big bosses makes this an extremely polished and enjoyable game. For a buck? No brainer.

Okay. Back to playing it :p

8. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    ok, just bought, hope it's good :)

I'll TOFTT in a moment :p

9. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, I'm not usu. a fan of the genre, but the lite version was good and I might pick this up just because of the value@ $.99!

10. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    #10 darkhorse, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Why is there a "sale" banner on the icon when it's on the iDevice? I have no need to see that after I bought it.

11. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I played the light version when it dropped and it was outstanding. The touch controls had an oversteer issue, at the time, but I'm definitely downloading the full version now to check it out. The graphics are top notch too.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Does the 4 "hugh" levels include the first one in the free demo? A shooter master at my workplace finish it up in his first try...

Anyway, the graphics are great, the size of "ships" are just right (c.f Star Trek), and the controls is okay, just that finger control is not for everyone.

One of the best "vertical" shooter out there.

Will keep an eye on this.

13. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I'll provide impressions shortly.

14. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Almost as bad as ads in paid apps that advertise the dev's other apps. Personally, I hate that. I just want a clean app!

15. remembernathan

remembernathan Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    The lite version is the first level in the full one

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I understand but I don't mind, personally. Cause I don't expect to show my apps as icons to other guys. More, it will go away some time.

Back to topic: I may wait for BigA to deliverer us something before considering further. Like the free demo but I hope the other "hugh" levels are not as short as the first one...

17. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    this or top gun?

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, afaik, Top Gun is more like "Afterburner" (well still far from, well, but should feature a F-14 you see? ), quite different in sub-genre, I suppose... :rolleyes:

19. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Hmmm, find that game to be ok.
    Nice but nothing special.
    A bit slow, a bit unspectacular, not that much to do....
    More or less just dodging.... auto fire... I don't need to press anything.
    Graphics are ok, not bad but also not impressing. But it's polished.
    Music sounds very cool.

There are better shooters out there.

20. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #20 Big Albie, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Review: iFighter good on gameplay but lacks missions

The iTunes store has an overabundance of vertical shooters with a variety of themes and control options. Many have probably grown a little weary of this genre which of late has seen little in innovative gameplay. So when iFighter with its non-descriptive name entered the genre, it wasn’t exactly something that made me giddy right off the bat. But, after playing it a bit, iFighter has won me over in principle, but the lack of missions really hurts it.

iFighter follows a World War II theme where your mission as an ace fighter pilot is to destroy several weapons prototypes developed by the Nazis. From a visual and audio standpoint, iFighter provides a good looking set of environments with some adrenaline-pumping music, but overall, nothing that sets it apart from other vertical shooters.

The game has 4 missions with the first mission unlocked. There are 3 levels of difficulty—easy, medium and hard—along with 3 control scheme options—joypad (virtual joystick), swipe (touch), and motion (accelerometer). Testing the control options, my personal preference is the motion (accelerometer) since it works extremely well based on the overall layout of the game screen. The swipe (touch) is also very responsive with no lag in moving my fighter. However, based on the placement of the gameplay dashboard, your finger will inherently block your view of some important information, which I will get into later. Of the group, the joypad (virtual joystick) was the least effective for me because of its location and small size.

Also included are a calibration option and sensitivity setting. You also have an autofire option, and when turned off, you tap the screen to fire or keep your finger on the screen to fire continuously. From an options standpoint, the dev has done a nice job of incorporating features that should be standard in any shooter game, but often is not.

In terms of weapons, your fighter can acquire several types including straight bullet, flash bullet, bomb, and sidekick. Sidekick brings in wingmen to fight alongside your fighter, and you can stockpile a supply of these. Outside of the bomb weapon, these weapons automatically engage once you pick them up, which I don’t particularly like. My preference would be an option that allows me to switch out weapons at my discretion, but that’s not a big deal. One of the big things you notice during gameplay are gold and silver stars and medals that appear after destroying enemy targets. This is similar to the system used in another vertical shooter Sentry Alpha. These provide bonus points and can significantly increase your score. In addition, a health power up is also available that boosts your fighter’s health and repairs damage.

The gameplay dashboard I mentioned is located at the bottom of the screen and shows current and high scores, health, # of bombs and sidekicks, along with the bomb button. As I mentioned earlier, if you use the swipe (touch) control option, your finger partially blocks your view of most of this information especially your health bar. One option may be to move the dashboard to the top of the screen, but in its current placement, it’s useless.

The gameplay can be frantic because of all the action, and depending on which control scheme you use, entertaining. It goes without saying that with autofire off, the game becomes more challenging and from playing at the medium and hard levels, the action does ratchet up significantly from the easy level. My main concern is that there are only 4 missions even though they feel like long missions during the game. Even if you’re a casual player, there’s a good possibility you will finish the game in a short period of time (I suggest you play at medium or hard). And for the hardcore gamer who wants to blast through in one sitting, this may even be a shorter journey.

Visually, iFighter holds it own against the likes of Sentry Alpha and SkyForce Reloaded among others in terms of polish. And the control options namely with swipe (touch) and motion (accelerometer) are some of the best. The dev shows a lot of potential, but the main thing holding iFighter back is the lack of missions.

Albie Meter: 3 stars (average)—needs more levels

Edit: I strongly suggest you try out the lite version which is just Mission 1. That provides a good example of the length of each of the other 3 missions available in the full version. If you're into vertical shooters, then iFighter at the current $.99 price is an easy decision. Otherwise, there are better choices.