iPad If you like alternative puzzle games... (Ivory Tiles)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by subtleknife, Dec 7, 2008.

1. subtleknife

subtleknife Active Member

Nov 15, 2008
    #1 subtleknife, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    You might try this:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298697067&mt=8

It's a game called Ivory Tiles. I'm sure that it isn't getting that much publicity as it is a rather obscure game. It has decent sound, music, and graphics.

This is the only YouTube video I could find on it, but watching it convinced me to try it:

[hqyoutube]AxxxuXM9al8[/hqyoutube]

Basically your goal is to try to get the white blocks so that they rest on the colored tiles by tilting or swiping your IPhone. Gravity and collisions with other blocks and obstacles come into play so you have to plan accordingly. Also, one of the other challenges is trying to solve the puzzle in the least number of moves listed for that level (Par).

It won't be for everyone, but it is a rather different puzzle game; it is nice to see someone not making the 2908th Sudoku or Match 4 game.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    yeah, this is a very nicely done game. I was planning on writing it up when I got a chance. The whole thing feels very well suited for the iPhone.

arn

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Looks like it could be quite good, although I know I may get stuck on a few puzzles and get frustrated, I may have to pick this one up

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's quite nice indeed.

The graphics are really great and the tilt control very well implemented.

Each puzzle has it's perfect number of moves. To advance however it's not necessary to accomplish that.

You have also touch control.

It's worth IMO. :)

5. #5 mrbass, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Is this the same as Vexed!! with but with tilt?

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This game looks really cool actually

7. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    i don't think so. Although I don't have this yet, you have to align tiles to complete, vexed you have to pair off matching colours. Some vexed levels have a number of solutions. Similar, but different.

8. subtleknife

Nov 15, 2008
    No, I have Vexed and this is not like that game. Your goal is to get the white blocks onto the colored tiles on the board. You should watch the video to see a demonstration.

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Definitely alternative, definitely looks challenging....interesting! Good find.

10. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    #10 Little White Bear Studios, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    They're cool looking games. However, Ivory Tiles chose to review my Lite app with spam about their games. Sorry Ivory Tiles, you lost a customer in me.

Edit: One of the developers on Ivory Tiles has contacted me, and the issue has been resolved in a very professional manner. Their game still looks great, so give them a look!

11. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    No!?? Really?? That's low

12. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Yep, I've asked Apple to remove this:

check out ivorytiles.com
    Its this awsome new iphone game!
    I love it!!

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I don't blame him. They reviewed his app(I presume its a he) and told people to buy their app. I won't buy this game either, as this shows bad character on the part of the company.

14. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Wow! I can understand wanting that removed. I hope you are successful! Dirty dirty dirty. Tsk tsk

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

If its removed, I'll be the first in line for it, as it looks really fun and entertaining.

16. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Totally agree. As far as I'm concerned ivory tile can go on the blacklist for a stunt like this

17. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    We shall see! :)

And guys, I didn't mean to get this guy blacklisted. I was just expressing my own feelings about the game looking pretty cool, but I couldn't possibly buy it. If you think the game is cool, or if Arn finds it to be a good game, by all means, give it a go.

18. subtleknife

Nov 15, 2008
    I think that is probably slightly in bad taste to advertise your game while giving a review of another game. I have seen worse, though - for example, Kinwits turned their paid version of a game into a free game, and then the next update they turned it into a stripped down version of their new "Pro" version with only 10 levels. So anyone who paid for the original version of the game that updated got some lame new version with only 10 levels. Now that is what I deem unacceptable and I will not be purchasing anything from that company.

I guess people have to decide if a company posting a comment about their own game in the review of another game is enough to dissuade them from purchasing the company's game.

19. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    it's also hard to prove it was the dev and not a friend or well intentioned fan... (though I would agree it tends to be the most likely scenario.) that person had left no other reviews, btw.

arn

20. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Mmm, there isn't any way to tell so don't jump on the dev. It seems the review has gone anyways :p