If you give a toddler an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by fairlady, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Jeremy1026

Jeremy1026 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    My 2 year old nephew will pick up my phone and say 'Music uncle Jer?' Then turn it on. He hasn't mastered slide to unlock or picking the right app yet though.

2. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    My daughter is 1-year old and the only things that fascinate her are the videos that I have in there. I got some videos from youtube that play on-the-go whenever she wants them. Other than that she'll bite my iPhone on the corners and shake it around with her hand, apps dont really interest her much. I agree that the rubber is a must, i myself have a plastic cover and she has dropped it facedown once. I usually watch her like a hawk whenever she has my iPhone. I'm thinking of just giving her my wife's iPod touch as she gets older for games and just buying my wife an iPhone herself. we'll see. Oh yea, she was initially impressed by bebot but she quickly got tired of it. She like to run, yes run :p so she's a lot more interested in playing activity games, which tires me out. Another reason why the iPhone is perfect for me. I can throw in a few games while she's playing with her ball or teddy bear, or surf the occasional touch arcade :p

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My daughter absolutely loves AWazDat, Sound Shaker (50% off today!) and Tappy Tunes. She also likes Bobble Zoo and has recently had more fun with Bebot. Pretty much anything that makes noise.

Speaking about music - I completely forgot that when she was an infant, I'd turn on music and set my iPod Touch in her carseat with her. Got a big kick out of putting the Rocakabye Baby! versions of Tool and Metallica in there with her. :) I think she liked Pink Floyd best.

As for video, I've got Sesame Street, Muppets and They Might Be Giants podcasts on there as well as Schoolhouse Rock! which is her favorite DVD to watch right now.

4. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

I recommend not getting the freebie Star Wars Lightsaber app. My 5 year old (at the time) flung my then new iPhone across the room playing that one.

Daddy learned a lesson that day. :)

5. Hermanator

Hermanator Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    My 3yr old loves DoodleBuddy. She's even learned to activate the camera and take pictures to use as the background.

She currently likes:
    Yumsters2 - she likes it for the colors and music. She doesn't understand how to play it yet but will dance around with the worms (the worms bop their heads).

ABC Block (??) - She knows her alphabets and like to match them together.

Mevo - For the music

PocketGod - She doesn't really know how to play it but likes to shake the pygmies and laughs when they drown...wait, maybe that isn't appropriate :(

Ice Age 3D - She tilts the phone and watches Scrat skateboard.

...And of course our game (QuitIt!) - she likes to feed Lumpy. When she confirms the purchase, she always says "Yes I do".

She tries to play other games but can't figure them out and have me play for her which she gets bored of fairly quickly.

I was hesitant in the beginning to let her play with the iPhone because I was worried that she might drop it or delete apps but she was actually very good/responsible with it.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    for thousands of years, babies didn't need cell phones, why give them one now?

ever considered actually taking the time to sit with them and teach them these basic things yourself without the aid of some cell phone?

next thing we're going to see on the appstore is iParent

7. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    for thousands of years babies didnt have disposable diapers or plastic bottles. There was not sanitizer and not moisturizer, not learning dvd's and no antibacterials. Why give it to them now? Yea, that analogy doesnt work :\

anywho: 1.) b/c we can. 2.) b/c we want to 3.) its a toy for them not very different than a rattle or such 3.)i dont think these babies have the iDevice for hours and hours. As opposed to some people letting their kids watch tv for hours. 4.) There are already parenting books, LOTS of them. I wouldnt be surprised if an app like that came along. Although most would agree that you dont learn being a parent from a book, you do it by experience.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I don't. I let her play with my iPod Touch. ;)

And what's wrong with booting up something and handing it to your kid to let them figure things out for themselves? I remember the first time our daughter realized when she moved her finger, that the object underneath moved with it...

Well there are a ton of parenting apps: baby timers, sleep aids, etc...

I don't think anything is being lost here - my daughter had just as much fun with the empty cardboard boxes we had out while boxing gifts for the mail as she does with my iPod Touch. :D

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    While I think it's a little strange to actually buy an iPod Touch for a baby, I don't see anything wrong with letting them play with one for a while. As long as you're not merely using it as a distraction to avoid doing any real parenting then it's basically just the same as any other toy.

10. Pinkxalotal

Pinkxalotal Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    First post ever! Let's hope I get it right.
    I have an almost 2 year old who loves the iPod. The problem for me is that she constantly presses the Home Button and the game is over.
    She loves any games with animals. Any suggestions for games for her?

11. rhurrle

rhurrle New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'm looking for a video app that locks the home button so my toddler can watch movies with out ending the show. Maybe something to lock the screen and buttons until a combination button press. Really tired of having to take the phone back and starting the video app up to stop the crying ;)