If you give a toddler an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by fairlady, Jul 19, 2009.

1. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi, all,

As we release Whizzit Counting for Preschoolers this week, I am planning to write an article with tips on how to safely allow young children to use an iPhone or iPod Touch.

My 3-year-old is adept at page scrolling, selecting and playing games, and generally being gentle with the device. However, we've all had some learning experiences as we've introduced the iPhone to our little ones (my 1-year-old is more interested in chewing on the corner of it...).

Anyway, I am interested to know whether you all have stories or tips that you'd be willing to share to help me gather additional information for the article. (let me know if you'd rather not be identified in the article... in which case I'll keep your comments anonymous)

Thanks for your time! :)

2. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    i dont have much experience but i would suggest getting a hard case

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    My 7-year old brother usually gets a bunch of unidentifiable sticky stuff on the screen, and once got the home button almost permanently depressed, but never seriously damaged it.

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I have a six and an eight year old, and they've been using my extra testing iPhone to play games on for over a year now. I highly suggest using one of the rubber cases, so it doesn't slip out of their fingers, and it tends to stay gripped to whatever they set it on (couch arms, tables, etc.). I've found that these work really well.

5. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Yup, I've got the same kind; I got the hot-pink one so I can see it when it slides down behind the couch! ;)

I've used eyeglasses cleaner to clean that sticky stuff from kids' fingers off my phone...

One problem that I've had is that so many Apps that LOOK kid-friendly (to a kid) are actually NOT kid-friendly. My 3-year-old found and played Pocket God but then the T-rex scared her...

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    My 3.5 year old has been playing with my iPhone for last 10 months. Loves it. To the point that when he sees me he doesnt say "PAPA" any more. He shouts "iPhone" when I reach home, with a hell lot more enthusiasm :eek:. As soon as he gets his hands on it he doesnt even care if I m there. :eek:

A good solid case is a must when handing out the iPhones to your kids or you are doomed.

BTW I m surprised how easy iPhone is when it comes to small kids. My 3yr old(and his cousin too) use it like they were born with it. Finding out the apps they love, even tinkering with the settings inside the app(intelligent tinkering, not just clicking anything which they see), actually playing the games(as far as the 3yr old mind allows them), pinching to zoom in n out and everything. He loves pocket god and cant have enough of it. But that I can understand given the rather simplistic nature of the game without any objectives to beat here. But also messing with colorsplash and other photo editors. He can easily go back and change the photo he wants to ruin next all by himself without even asking me twice. And when he doesnt like a new app (which I installed specifically for him thinking it`ll be good for his age) his response is "what a stupid game". Either kids today are way too smart or I was exceptionally dumb at his age :eek:.

iPhone is great for kids. So many apps here which makes them learn while playing with it. I specifically liked iWriteWords. The app literally teached my kid alphabets while he thought he was just playing a game :D.

BTW would love more suggestions for other good free/cheap apps which kids love. I m always looking for new apps for him as he asks me daily if I got a new app for him to play today. He is the reason my total app count is 564, atleast half of them are for him:D. Any good sea/aquarium app you guys know which kids love?

7. tel

tel Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    UK
    My little girl loves my iPhone too and plays with apps for about five minutes knowing there's many more on the home screen.
    Id like to see an app have a initive way of closing! Because she does like deleting apps too!!!!!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I was wondering when this thread would come up -- didn't start it myself because I didn't think anyone would be interested!

My 2 1/2 year old loves the iPhone too. We basically play with it in two ways: we do cute "arcade" games together (basically, he sits on my lap and I play the game); and he plays with toy-like apps at the table to minimize the risk of a damaging fall. I agree that a rubber covering is a must, and I also make sure that his hands are as clean as possible. I've set up a page just for his apps, and he knows that he's not supposed scroll to any other pages (he forgets sometimes, but for the most part is pretty good about it).

Here's a few things that my son loves:

Sway: No, he can't play it, but he's fascinated by the intro screen with the unlocked characters dangling from the rope.

Bubbles, Koi Pond, Bebot: All three provide immediate feedback when the screen is touched.

ABC Animals: An obvious one; he really gets into flipping the cards over and "tracing" the letters.

Balloonanimals: This is one of his favorites and very much worth it for any parent with a toddler. This one app has saved more than one night out for us. (Part of the gameplay involves shaking the phone, so we definitely play this one only at the table.)

Snail Mail: This is the one I play with him on my lap. Happens to be one my favorite games on the platform, too.

Zombie Nombie: Not for every toddler, obviously. We happen to live in Salem MA, the Halloween capital of the world, so he's perfectly comfortable with skeletons, witches, etc. Funny thing, he treats Nombie like a pet.

I try to keep play time very limited (I'd rather have him read, play with toys, etc), and we've been working on ways to end play without much fuss. Compared to other screen based activities, I find the iPhone games to be more mentally engaging.

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    My 3 year old loves using the ipod, and occasionally sneaks it into his room at bedtime. He loves browsing YouTube and the App Store. It's fun observing his taste in games. He gravitates towards stuff with flashy graphics. He's been known to delete too-difficult apps when he gets frustrated.

10. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Any other suggestions for apps for a 3 year old?

11. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    My 3 year old little nephew likes to touch the screen and see things interact with him. He's just beginning to learn the concept of gaming.

If you've seen anything outside of the child's area in the appstore, you'd see the games are getting more advanced with each passing month. I'd expect games for children to advance as well, which they are if you see Kitty's adventure and things like those. But I mean more educational childrens' games.

12. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    my 3-yr-old's favorite apps

Since several of you brought up the question of favorite apps...

My 3-year-old daughter has enjoyed the following apps over the past year:

Preschool Adventure
    Giraffe's Preschool Playground
    Bumblebee Touchbook
    Wheels on the Bus
    First Words Animals
    Tiny Teacher Songs
    ... and of course,
    Whizzit Counting (the game we developed for my daughter!)

Since I am both an Educational Psychologist and an iPhone developer, I've been disappointed with many of the other apps that are available for children. Many do not follow good principles of instruction or don't have the cool special effects and music that adult games have.

So, my husband and I developed Whizzit Counting as the first in a series of iPhone games for preschoolers. Hopefully kids will enjoy our educational games; they have high-quality music, sound effects, audio, animations, and special effects. Plus, they follow good sound principles of instruction for early childhood education. :)

I'm always looking for other great examples of young children's games... have any of you come across others that your child has enjoyed?

13. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    my 2 year old cousin played crazy snowboard and wouldnt let go

14. darchinst

darchinst Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    manager
    Shreveport, la
    I keep a bunch of eyeglass wipes packets around from my work. also, my rubber case is a lifesaver. my 3 yr old son loves to play:
    wheels on the bus
    preschool adventure
    must eat birds (loves the crazy style and sounds, good with the slingshot)
    ishred
    abc animals
    he also loves toki tori and rolando, but they are both too difficult for him to play for long. if someone would make a game like rolando but for 3 year olds, i'd pay 10 bucks for it. he wants to play it everytime he sees my phone, then gets stuck a minute later. and yes, i know about dizzy bee, he gets stuck on it too after the first few levels. dizzy bee without the enemies but a bunch of levels would be the perfect game for him right now.

15. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    My best friends 3.5 year old loves Bounce On (she can only play the first couple of levels), the Spongebob Tickler, and Bed Bugs.

She liked playing with my iPhone so much that my friend ended up buying her an iPod Touch... just what every 3 year old needs :rolleyes: - it does keep her content though!

16. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

17. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
  18. brianna.gardner

brianna.gardner New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Games for ~3 year olds

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old cousin. They both love memory games, so I got them a bunch of them, but their favorite is Robot Memory Game from Juicebox Software. The folks at Juicebox have great memory games (Animals, Robots, Fruits & Veggies, Sweets & Treats.) There is also a coloring book app, but Robot memory remains their favorite.

19. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    My little sister really likes iPuppy. After the update it's basically Nintendogs cloned.

20. Vorpal Blade

Vorpal Blade Member

Aug 14, 2009
    My three year old is a big iPhone fan too. He likes Jelly Car, Downhill Bowling, and Scoops more than any of the countless others I download for him thinking he will love.
    The game loves above all others is Trace. He can do a few of the levels in the first world but is constantly handing me my iPhone saying, "Daddy, need help please" so I can get the little guy next the exit so he can walk him in.
    Only problem I have with him using my phone is all the finger prints and smudges on the screen but they are easily cleaned.