If one wanted to get into programming/coding for the IOS, where do they start?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Zeratulz, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Zeratulz

Zeratulz Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, if not my apologies. With that said if one wanted to start learning how to develop games on the IOS platform where would they start? Any leads, books, sites, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I work in IT and have done a bit of coding and spend my off time playing games so I'd like to start learning about making them. Thanks in advance.

2. Namu

Namu Active Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I recommend TheNewBoston on Youtube, he has a lot of great programming videos.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Well the main thing is objective-c is the language used. So looking up things involving that are important enough I'd say.

4. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Matt Neuburg's book Programming iOS 5 is excellent and quite comprehensive. A lot of people like the Nerd Ranch books as well.

Step 1 would be to sign up for the Apple iOS developer program (developer.apple.com; $99/yr) and download Xcode. Apple has a lot of starter material online as well.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Isn't xcode exclusively for Mac, with no workaround for windows? Ugh

6. iSky

iSky Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    It is possible to develop applications without a Mac using theos on a jailbroken iDevice. I suggest you go to #theos in irc.saurik.com for more information. It's easy to use theos and it is possible to even use a windows pc since once theos is installed you can just use SSH to write and edit your code.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think you need mac although I only briefly looked into it, more out of curiosity than anything as I've done some programming in the past and got curious when I first bought my iPod.

Things might have changed since then but knowing Apple I doubt it.

8. iSky

iSky Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    No, if you jailbreak your iDevice you can develop applications using MobileTerminal or another iOS CLI and a file explorer to edit your files. I've done it before. Read this http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/Theos/Getting_Started

9. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I recently got this book called Beginning C++ Through Game Programming. It might also be a good place to start.

Good luck!