if Apple gave a s.........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Woodrith, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    So Apple, being Apple doesn't really care about fostering the iOS Apps, but if they actually did, one of the items I would hope they fix would be iOS App Store reviews..... :(

Instead of just letting anyone and everyone writing and starring app reviews, it would be amazing if it followed steam reviews. First, does this person actually own the App? If they don't or played it on another platform, they shouldn't be allowed to review. The app version will play or act differently then it's console, PC, or android version, you can't necessarily judge it by the same standards.

Hours. How many hours did they actually play the app for? If it's a long, complex game, it says a lot if the person only played 10 minutes, writes a nasty review, not due to bugs. Same can be said for short games, if they write a horrible review, but have played 100 hours, you should question it.

Ability to respond to reviewers within the review and allow the dev to explain themselves if they choose to. That way it allows people to potentially hear both sides, to help them make up their minds.

Now I know steam reviews are far from perfect or flawless, and a lot of BS from both buyers and devs makes its way there, but this would be a huge step in the right direction. What else needs fixing? :cool:

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I don't think just anyone can leave an ios review as you can't leave a review if you don't own the game on the AppStore. You also can't review games if you've gotten them via promo codes. Unless they changed something with ios 9 it's been that way for a long time.

I don't like the contests where if you download and leave a positive review on a fee game you could win £10 or whatever, but I'm not sure how big of a problem those reviews are.

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I've always been able to review games after getting them from promo codes.

4. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I like how Amazon does it. If a person bought directly from Amazon/Seller, it'll show by your name "Verified Purchase". And you can comment on their review as well.

On the free games however, I can see where you're coming from. Not much you can do about someone reviewing a free game. The ability to comment on reviews would be a help I would imagine. I don't use the App store anymore so I don't know how bad it really is.

5. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    That's weird because you're the only person I've seen who can. I just went to try and can't, (hopefully pic is attached) I get told I don't own the item. Can't even just rate the stars either as I get same message. It's one if the reasons I wait for free games to release now, because I'm unable to keave reviews if I use a promo code.

I read apple doesn't allow it because devs could give the games out in exchange for fake reviews.

Attached Files:

6. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    To be honest, I don't pay attention to AppStore reviews, I buy games on ios after reading about them here, so I've already made my mind up before I reach the AppStore.

My brother pays attention though, and when you get a load of bad reviews from people who bought the game and praised it loads, then dropping to one star and calling it shit because a dev charges for new content, it can put people off, I recommended badland to my bro, and he said the reviews were awful, he was right, but they are totally unjustified, as all those bad reviews were from people expecting to get everything for free (on a game that's already given lots of extra free content too)

Again, I dunno how big of an issue that is and how many sales devs lose due to spiteful reviews.

7. Anonomation

Take this for example, I got MC5 via promo code, and I'm completely able to review it.

Maybe that's not a good example. I'll be busy for a while but I'll be back later on to talk about this. Maybe it's how you got the promo code?

8. Anonomation

The last game I've gotten via promo code was Snowboard Party,and I can review that perfectly fine. IMO I think it depends on how and when you receive the promo code.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, you've never been able to review apps you haven't purchased/downloaded.

10. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I have no idea, I've gotten codes by various methods on ios and have never been able to review any, be it through ign game of the month, code from a dev, a gift. You're the first person I've seen who can, not doubting what you're saying, just find it puzzling.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    That's just stupid! What a dumb idea! And what's the point? It's good the way it is! You can't review a game unless you buy or download it anyway. Who cares how Steam does things? It's no good here! And yeah, of course an app version will be different than a console, PC, or Android version! These aren't about those versions! Just IOS! That's it! That's all we're talking about! It's not about comparing different platforms, and it's not supposed to be! Of course everyone sees things differently, and reviews are a CONSENSUS! HELLO!!!!! You read a BUNCH of reviews, take them for what they are, and then decide whether you might like it or not from there. There's never a guarantee that you're gonna like it! Ability for a dev to come back and cross-examine a review is also STUPID! Of course they're gonna say anything to back up their claim, and that's useless for any user! That's like Yelp if business owners could come back and argue their point every time someone says something negative about their business! You don't wanna read biased opinions, that's why it is the way it is!! Your whole idea is ridiculous, and perhaps you should use all this extra time you seem to have on your hands and put it towards some other constructive purposes, man!!!! ;)

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I just tried to review a game which I got through IGN's Game Of The Month promo (Radiation Island) and was able to review it without any issues.