iDrop Dead: Design a character competition (3 gets into the game + 20 promo codes)!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by ttursas, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Weebler

Weebler Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Hmm, it's almost September. How many people have entered? I wanna know my chances of getting a code. Or winning, but I doubt that'll happen.

2. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) Well, a competition needs to be exciting! ;) If you trust your work enough, don't change it. If not, upgrade and perhaps submit another one! :D I know this is like throwing a glass jar filled with ants on you guys, but hey, if you go crazy and explode, that's what iDrop Dead is all about!

3. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #63 ttursas, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    I haven't counted, but I guess everybody who's participated so far will be getting a free copy of iDrop Dead. ;) I don't think we have more than 20 submission so far...

But you never know, many people usually save their effort to the last minute. :eek:

4. apppanther

apppanther Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last minute entries! AAAAUUHUUUHUHHHHGGGGHHHHH!!!! Just when you think you actually have a chance to win, all hope is lost! - Mr. Overdramatic

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I still don't know what I'm gonna do for my last minute entry... it's gotta be awesome or I just won't bother.

6. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    I hope you can come up with something, beacause I'm already waiting for it! ;)

7. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Deadline updated!

I had to extend the competition to next Monday, because I won't be at home on Sunday. ;) I hope you guys don't mind. It's going to be an exciting week!

So the new deadline is: Monday, 7th of September 2009, 23:00 Finnish time (GMT+2).

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    This is driving me insane. I'm working on something pretty strange and I'm not even sure I can make it work... I just wanna see how far I can push ttursas before they tell me it's impossible :)

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    If the idea is great and crazy, we'll just make it happen. ;)

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well I'm trying to do something that other people might not even think of... and also trying to challenge you with some annoying shapes :p It's crazy alright, but I'm not sure how great it is yet... still working.

11. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) The Box2D physics engine we are using supports both circles and polygonal shapes, and their combinations (unions). The only problem is that we'll have to create the geometry by hand, we don't have any editors for that. :p The simpler you can make it the better, but don't lose the idea / its speciality! :)

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's pretty hard keeping it simple, at the moment the body is a rectangle but with two corners chopped off like this:

[​IMG]

Would that work? I drew the green squares just to show how the shape can be done with squares only.

The head though... I have no idea how I'm gonna get it simple... gonna have to think. The problem is the more I look at it the more I think it's too weird to enter :p

13. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Yup, no problem with that one! That shape can easily be subdivided into triangles (that's what the engine does afaik).

Well, we can always try to figure out a way to do it. ;) Don't worry too much about the technical issues here (I want to see it!!!).

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #74 MidianGTX, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Sweet. I wish I knew how the engine worked so I could work out exactly what's possible and what isn't... all the head ideas I've had so far are way too complicated. Gotta start thinking more square.

Edit: I just realized how messed up the aspect ratio is.

15. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #75 ttursas, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    I guess it should be ok as long as you don't use smooth curves (but 100% circles are ok). Polygonal shapes work well. :) But we can always put a polygonal block beneath a head sprite, like we've already done in the game. For example, you can draw lots of hair, but we'll just approximate the head with a circle. ;) So the hair won't take part in the collision checks... But if you are talking about bodyparts without sprites, then it needs to be polygonal/circular. Unless you want to cover all bodyparts with sprites, then everything should work. ;)

Is this confusing? I guess it must be... :D

Oh man, I guess I've been talking about the physics engine's limitations all the time. The collision vector shapes we feed to the physics engine need to be simple, but we can place complex sprites on top of them (like all the heads in the game already). So don't limit yourself too much! :)

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Haha, don't worry it's not confusing, I know about collision models and stuff. I have rounded a couple of corners on the body just to make it look nicer, but I'm pretty sure they could be done with circles. I'm gonna spend some time thinking of a good head that won't be too complicated so I'll wait a few days and see what I can think of.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I almost bought Perfect Balance just now, I forgot it was one of the prizes on here :p I wish Monday would hurry up, I wanna play!

18. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    :D If there's not a sudden last minute submission spree with a superb entry or three, I'm pretty sure you'll get to play Perfect Balance next Monday... ;)

19. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    It's been awfully quiet here for some time. I hope people are giving finishing touches to their masterpieces! XD

20. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I am :D