iDrop Dead: Design a character competition (3 gets into the game + 20 promo codes)!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by ttursas, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Custom blood sprites would be no problem code wise, as we already have those textured flame particles in the game, but we cannot draw as much of them as those single colored particles.

But hey, if you want your character to bleed flowers, sausages or lumps of raw meat, no problem, we could give it a try. ;)

2. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks guys!

As far as the blood/sprites go just color it that same color as the eyes... the red/magenta color

3. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Ok, no problem with that, color picking is easy! ;)

4. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    my idea (as can be seen on my char) is to add stars if its head crashes (comic style)

5. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hey, that's a good idea - if the head hits a wall really hard some stars would fly, too. Gotta write it down to our TODO-list. ;) Thanks!

6. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    np
    hopin for a promo code any time but till then (and then ofc 2) i will send u my ideas:D

7. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) Let's see, we might be even more generous when the competition ends. ;)

8. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Updated the rules!

I've updated the rules: You can submit as many entries as you wish, but you can win only one prize. No need to hide those wacky ones you come up with, by submitting more than one character you cannot lower your chances of winning as every character is judged separately. ;)

And we'll have more contests coming after the character design contest is over!

9. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    every great ragdoll game has a ninja in it. thats what i submitted in a email they emailed me back saying they luved it so i have a good chance of winning. look out the Killa' Ninja ragdoll...

10. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) That's correct! The sneaky ninja wanted to remain in the shadows (of my inbox), he'll appear with a puff of smoke at the end of the competition! With a wailing guitar!?

11. Weebler

Weebler Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    #31 Weebler, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    It's Bloom.
    [​IMG]
    Head 1: [​IMG]
    Head 2: [​IMG]
    Body: [​IMG]
    Hand: [​IMG]
    Feet: [​IMG]

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Okay so I wanted to create a character that would be different from the typical shapes and styles we already have in the game... give it a bit of variation... so I came up with:

The Piñata!
    [​IMG]

Head 1:
    [​IMG]

Head 2:
    [​IMG]

Body:
    [​IMG]

Tail:
    [​IMG]

...and as we all know, piñatas bleed CANDY!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the custom blood doesn't work too well, perhaps the normal blood particles but multiple colours?

Hope you like my design, I'm really keen to see if different shaped characters would enhance the gameplay at all :)

13. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #33 ttursas, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    OMG! XD Gotta say that the idea of a flower guy like that, cartoonish, is nice and different. ;) Reminds me little of Yoshi's Island on SNES...

14. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #34 ttursas, Aug 27, 2009
    Oh yeah! :D Love it! <3 Yes we can do a character like this, though it's going to take some time (1h?) because of the body, but no problem. I'd love to test a different body type like this one. Plus we can always set the particles to multicolored (normal) ones on the "normal" particle quality setting, and those candies on "high" particle quality setting.

And I've already planned some levels where not all parts of the level are available for some characters, depending on the body type.

15. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    #35 Palfince, Aug 27, 2009
    I thought I'd give this a go:

Ninja:

[​IMG]

Head 1:

[​IMG]

Ninja shows no pain, only fury, Head 2:

[​IMG]

Hand 1 (with sword):

[​IMG]

Hand 2 (with throwing star):

[​IMG]

Body:

[​IMG]

Arm:

[​IMG]

Leg:

[​IMG]

Foot:

[​IMG]

He bleeds red blood.

The last few images aren't really needed, but I put them in there anyway. Tell me what you think. :)

Edit: Damn, just realised TheBeastlyNinja submitted a ninja for the competition... :/ Was his complete with a sword and throwing star though? :p

16. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    This ninja's full of action! ;) Yes, TheBeastlyNinja submitted a different kind of a ninja. His didn't have any weapons, so they are quite different, which makes it harder for us to decide which one is better as they are both quite good. ;) The sword looks quite dangerous, perhaps this guy could accidentally cut his own head off?!? The engine doesn't support that, yet, hmm, gotta think about that...

17. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I think that the sword and throwing star should be able to hurt him. :D

18. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Come on, my ninja is better. Mine is funny and stuff. Maybe we will both get in...

19. Weebler

Weebler Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I doubt I'll make it it, but I'm just happy to participate.

20. apppanther

apppanther Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    My 3 ideas

I had a few ideas, I drew a robot, burglar, and a normal kid. I don't know if they're any good, I just want SOMETHING that I create to be put into the game, so I made a lot of them. I've entered hundreds of these contests and never won. :( lol Well, here they are. BTW, I couldn't decide about which eyebrows to use for the version of the burglar and normal kid after they get hurt, so I posted both, and you can decide, lol. Also, if you're wondering what the initials stand for, PM me and I'll tell you.

Attached Files: