iDrop Dead: Design a background/object competition (3 gets into the game)!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by ttursas, Sep 12, 2009.

1. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    uh huh

Yeah....

2. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Oh well, I hope everything's cool now. :p

3. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    What do you guys think?

So ttursas, do I have a good chance of winning at this point, oh an d what do you guys think will be better, the soon to be submitted skee-ball or ramp champ?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Ok let me be honest for a moment... I think the general idea for the background is to have something that can be tiled (repeated) in all directions, and as fascinating as your drawing is, it's gonna look seriously weird having it repeated all over the place. Think stuff like clouds, leaves, balloons etc... stuff that can repeat forever and still make sense.

5. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    It's impossible to tell as there's almost one week left before the contest ends. So many other people can still submit their work. But your background image is a bit too multicolored and I guess complicated, it'll take quite a lot of attention away from the game: Sometimes it might be difficult to see what happened to the ragdolls in the game as the background might blend with the foreground. The picture is cheerful and really funny, and I like it, but I'm not sure it'll work well as a background image in the game... ;( But don't get depressed, just be sure to read the results when the contest ends, we might have a special prize for guys who try hard! :)

6. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Oh yeah, and that too. It's not really easy to do good background images into a game like this, that's also the reason why the contest has two categories as the ingame objects are much easier to do...

7. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Yep.

MidianGTX and ttursas, the thing is, I realized that when I was making it, but I was doing so good that I just wanted to keep going and submit it anyway. But I do have an idea for what you CAN do with my background! Shrink it so that it fits the screen, then use it for the background for the menu pages instead of inside the actual game, unless you have a different idea! Let me know! I hope I win! Those t-shirts look cool and I want a USB memory stick! You should also make a level editor in 1.5, that would be cool!

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    A level editor would be the pinnacle of awesomeness, but probably also the pinnacle of frustration for ttursas ;)

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Ok. ;) I'll test if your pic works as a menu background...

10. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    We already have a level editor written in AS3/Flash9, which we've used to create the levels. It just needs polish and we can release it to you hungry wolves. ;) But that's what the third contest will be all about, so not quite yet there, got to finish contest number two before the third.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Awesome! I don't wanna jump the gun, but would it be a flash-based online level editor like Moonlights has (link) or would we be creating levels on the iPhone itself?

Also, have you seen Headhunter (another link)? It came out yesterday and reminds me of iDD quite a lot. It's not really the same kind of game (so don't panic ;)) but it's got a similar vibe to it.

12. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #92 ttursas, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    Well like we did with our Perfect Balance, you can create (and play) levels on your computer, but there is no database in the internet where you can save your levels, it's just offline. But you can save the level as ASCII into a texfile or email it to your friends who could then insert it back to the editor and play it on their computer. Online level sharing would require quite a lot of work. But if iDrop Dead starts selling we can do that, too. ;) So far we've sold 386 copies of iDrop Dead so I'm not very eager to invest time into extra stuff at this point. And currently there is no scoring and some items behave differently in the editor, so you won't get 1:1 experience on it, but for testing & level editing it works really well.

Anyway, in the third contest you get to create levels, and the best ones will make it to the game via updates. That's a start, at least. And later people can send us levels and if they are good, well, we can still add them to the game.

Ah, I missed Headhunter completely. Looks really nice, but come on, no blood or guts!? :) Still I think I've got to try it out...

13. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    So......?

I personally like the design a character contest better than this contest or the third one, but that's just me. It is YOUR contest after all, I'll still enter your next one, but for the fourth one, CHARACTER CONTEST! lol BTW, will my indoor water park image work for the menu? Thanks. BTW, did you guys hear about that new Pokemon game coming out for iPhone soon? the devs are totally remaking the idea of Pokemon! I can't wait! lol

14. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    You mean the "Similar game to pokemon anyone?" thread? Thats been here for a while, and the developer has been working hard :) He said the battle system will be less complex than Pokemon's, but will still be similar. I hope it comes out good, and at a cheap price xP

I'm still thinking of what i can do for this. I might have a background idea, but idk how i would do it :\ Also still cant think of any other objects.

15. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #95 ttursas, Sep 20, 2009
    Well, let's talk more about the fourth contest when the third one is about to end, ok? ;)

And here you see your water park image used as the menu background image in iDrop Dead. It looks funny, but I think people would get a wrong idea about what's going on in the game... ??? XD

A new Pokemon game for iPhone? Cannot be, Nintendo does games only to Nintendo consoles, it has to be a clone. But yeah, I spent countless of hours playing Pokemons on GB, then GBC, then GBA and now on DS... Still love it!

Attached Files:

16. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Cool, and they can kinda do it!

I love the look of that background in the menu bar! It looks so awesome! Now I want to win more than ever, even if I only get third place (still aiming for first!) And yeah they can do their Pokemon game because they are changing the story, creatures, locations, battle system, etc. so it's going to be awesome, even if it's not an exact clone, and to the guy three above me, there's a more recent thread than this, it's called the mystery of the mystery creatures thread!

17. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Well its a remake by a developer, not by nintendo. ttursas: i agree with you, it gives the wrong idea xP

18. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Omg!

OMG! You covered his pants up so now it looks like he's not wearing any clothes! But it still looks cool. And HEE-LARIOUS! lol! I hope I win!

19. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #99 ttursas, Sep 20, 2009
    Rainbow colors and a nude guy sliding down a water slide (?)... I'm not sure I want to be associated with that game... XD

20. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I noticed the rainbow!

I saw trhe rainbow, it was kind of an accident, I didn't mean to do that, it's supposed to be water- blue, red- outside of slide, and green- inside of slide! I spent over thirty hours on this background-literally! I just hope this game takes off! GEEZ, MY MOUTH HURTS SO MUCH, I JUST HAD ORAL SURGERY YESTERDAY AND IT HURTS SO BAD! lol Can't wait for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! This is my favorite time of year! Besides last May when I participated in the Natl. Spelling Bee and made it into the semifinals on ESPN- one of the best 41 out of 293 who competed there! Enough about myself, lol!