iDrop Dead: Design a background/object competition (3 gets into the game)!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by ttursas, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Yeah, we also need to consider how the image would fit the rest of the game. If we had DaVinci painting us Mona Lisa 2, I'm not sure it would work with the rest of the graphics...

Ah, yes, email please, otherwise I just lose it somewhere. I'm too sleepy at the moment... I guess I need a day off from my hobby. XD

2. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    thx ttursas, sorry I was bit**ing about it

haha your such a man *cyber high five*

3. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    You should do a poll before the next contest, use ideas from your iDrop Dead "idea board" and let tA users decide what feature they would like to see in the game next. It easier to vote than create something original, so way more people will vote! May I suggest, a FOOD level? Candy, soda, ice cream, chips, an exploding pizza bomb? THAT, I would love to see! Can't wait for the new iDrop Dead to come out!

4. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    :) No problem! I was actually thinking that perhaps I should also give you one as well, but Midian was faster, damnit. :)

5. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hey, if we reveal too much of what we have planned, then there would be no surprise. And it's always so much easier just to throw ideas in the air than to implement them. Everybody has an idea or five... :) But if you can do it, like draw a sprite, then you must really believe in your invention.

6. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hey, thanks! :) The lighter seahorses look nice, too, but I'll need to test all these mods in the game to really see which works best. I'll get back to you when the time comes when we start working on the Water World, ok? We need to do some Perfect Balance stuff before that. :)

7. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    whoah whoah whoah, i've been absent from the thread for way too long. it's so awesome to see the propeller, eel, and especially the puffer fish! i'm not going to say they necessarily got the idea from me given that they're generic sea ideas anyone could've come up with. it's just cool to see them drawn in the thread. :)

8. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    You could include Twitter integration in 1.4, like I just got 25342 in iDrop Dead Fire World 1st world!!

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Ok, I added this also to out TODO-list. :) Oh man...

10. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I can imagine the size of that thing lol

11. Zombie_dance

Zombie_dance Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Who still thinks im awesome

12. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    thats kinda hard to decide because, oh, i don't know..... I DON'T KNOW YOU! lol

13. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    ttursas #1 where do i email you (thanks again by the way)

#2 how long is your to-do list, do u plan to do everything on it and is there ACTUALLY A LIST :p

#3 how many people work on this game and how did you get the idea of such an odd yet awesome game?

and for the fun of it look what i did in perfect balance, ITS A HOUSE

Attached Files:

14. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    specifically a birdhouse if anything

15. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #395 ttursas, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    #1: ville.helin at gmail.com (seems like ttursas at ttursas.com works most of the time, but not always... Bad ISP. :p )

#2: It contains now around 110 items. Some of them need more thinking/designing, and I'm sure not all are doable. Some are just weird ideas that might not work, and some might require just too much work to be worth the trouble. And the list just keeps on growing even though we implement those ideas from the list... 8P Yes, I'm keeping a bullet point TODO-list for every game I'm working on, and I reprioritize the tasks once in a while. Because I'm working on so many things my memory's failing me all the time and I need lists like these. :)

#3: Just me and Jyri, so that's two guys. Plus all you guys who send us your ideas and submit great contest entries. :) The original idea? Well, one day I saw this Box2D physics engine and tried out the example projects that came with it. One had a ragdoll that you could throw around. First thing that came into my mind was: add blood. Next: make it break into pieces. Then other ideas just started popping up. We made a toy first and played around with it, then started to add game elements to it.

Nice house! :) It's fun to see what kind of stuff people can build with Perfect Balance.

16. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    I think I've seen such a house in a cartoon or some painting. House that's at the brink of collapsing. Some metaphor. Philosophical.

17. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    So who does programming and who does artwork? or do you both do both??

18. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Oh, I do programming and producing, and Jyri does audio. The rest depend on the game. In Drop Dead I did the initial design and all the levels and most of the graphics, but Jyri did most of the characters and helped with the graphics and ideas. In Perfect Balance: Inferno Jyri did most of the levels, and in Perfect Balance: Harmony Jyri did most of the graphics. In the coming Perfect Balance: Lost Trials Jyri's been doing the graphics and the levels...

19. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    are you, Ville, the only one who is in contact with your users or does Jyri sometimes sneak on here and talk to us? :p

20. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    It's just me (Ville) making these contests and communicating with you guys. Jyri's busy doing audio and level designing (and now graphics), and he has his family also to take care of. But I'm sure if you have something to ask he'll come here as well. If Jyri's been here he's been wearing his ninja suit as he hasn't told me. :)