iDrop Dead: Design a background/object competition (3 gets into the game)!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by ttursas, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    #1 ttursas, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Ok guys, here's the second iDrop Dead competition, and again you have a chance of getting your creation into the craziest ragdoll game there is!

Here's what you need to do: Draw a background image, or an object (e.g., a cannon) that fits into the given theme. The themes:

* Water World (waterfalls, fountains, ...)
    * War (WW2 style, old)
    * ... or any of the current themes in the game v1.1.0 (classic Drop Dead, shake, fire, explosion and winter)

Rules:

* You need to own the rights to the competition entry, be its creator, and can give the rights to us to use it in our Drop Dead games, free of charge.
    * Post your work here or send it to us via email (ville.helin at gmail.com).
    * PNG submissions only.
    * Keep the background of the PNG file transparent if you submit an object, black outlines would be nice.
    * If you submit an object, also tell us how it works (if it needs animation, please draw the animation frames, too), and describe all special effects it requires to work.
    * If you submit a background image, it has to be of size 1024x1024. It doesn't need to be tileable as we just mirror the image using code, upside down and left to right. But keep it abstract if possible so that the mirroring trick will work.
    * You can submit as many entries you want, but you can win only one prize.
    * We'll (me and Jyri) choose the winners.
    * UPDATE (28-Sep-2009): Deadline is Monday, 5th of October 2009, 23:00 Finnish time (GMT+3). Here's the clock: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/european-union/finland/time.htm

Prizes (UPGRADED ON 14-Sep-2009):

1st prize: Three Drop Dead t-shirts + 16GB USB memory stick.
    2nd prize: Two Drop Dead t-shirts + 8GB USB memory stick.
    3rd prize: One Drop Dead t-shirt + 4GB USB memory stick.

EDIT 03-Oct-2009: PS. As we still have lots of t-shirts left from the first contest, we'll be giving them out instead of printing new shirts with a different image. We are still on red with this project, need more time to collect more money for new t-shirts... If you still want t-shirt(s) with different image, then we can send you the shirt(s) later, when we print the next batch, if you can wait that long.

PPS. The memory sticks come loaded with all Drop Dead music there is, released and unreleased, and some work-in-progress material!

We'll also give away 5 iDrop Dead promo codes to random people who participate (with ok entries). Also the three winners will get their names into the credits screen of the game.

NOTE! The promo codes will work only in the US App Store. ;( So if you live outside the USA, well, you are out of luck. Blame Apple. ;(

For more information about iDrop Dead, check out the official iDrop Dead thread here @ TA:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=23123

... or visit our homepage:

http://www.ttursas.com

Good luck, ladies and gentlemen! ;)

PPPS. We need to get v1.2.0 update out before the competition ends, to get access to those promo codes as we've run out of the old ones. Shouldn't be a problem as v1.2.0 was submitted to Apple earlier this week, but just in case everything goes wrong we might need extra time with them. I'll keep you updated on this as well.

UPDATE 29-Sep-2009: As Apple rejected v1.2.0, and we now need to take away blood, skeletons and hit noises, we need more time with the promo codes.

Attached Files:

2. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    the ww2 object that comes to mind is twirling swastika lol probably wouldnt be allowed so i guess back to the drawing board

3. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    That would be really brutal, I think. 8P Yeah, cannot have those in the game I'm afraid...

4. apppanther

apppanther Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Yeah.

I probably won't enter. This game looks totally lame. NOT! lol jk I'm already working on my background/s!

5. apppanther

Aug 22, 2009
    My first entry!

Are we allowed to make backgrounds for categories not water or war? I hope so, cuz if not, my first one will never win! BTW, if it's not allowed.... MAKE IT! lol

6. apppanther

Aug 22, 2009
    Oops, HERE'S my first entry. lol

Oops, I forgot to include my entry! lol I call this one, Sad Clown Land!

Attached Files:

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is gonna take some thinking...

..and a graphics program other than paint.

8. oldskooler81

oldskooler81 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Michigan
    I wish i had photo shop
    so i could make something awesome not something in paint

9. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    The primary categories are water and war. That's because those worlds are coming in the updates v1.4.0 and v1.5.0, if everything goes as planned. But you can make a background / game object/item to old worlds as well, but then you'll need to wait until we make the Director's Cut editions of the levels as that "mode" will have different backgrounds. Unless you make a better one that the game currently has, in which case we'll use our own background image in the Director's Cut version. ;)

And yeah, if you can make a new theme/world idea and a background to it, and they are both totally outrageous and amazing, then we'll just have to implement that world. :)

10. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    :) You'll be a little surprised when you get v1.2.0 update with its new world (the one that I haven't told you about, yet). ;) But that was fast! Hmm sad clowns, I like the contrast!

11. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    ;) One could make some simple (but cheerful?) backgrounds with MS Paint, but yeah, I guess this competition needs tools of higher caliber. But I don't see why one couldn't make a level object/item with Gimp, for example.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've got a couple of ideas for objects already... and once again I'm trying to add something new to the gameplay rather than inventing different versions of stuff we already have. One idea I have gives a nice tactical element to point scoring ;)

13. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Sweet, I can't wait to hear/see it! ;) If your object looks nice and even manages to bring something new into the gameplay, well, we couldn't ask for more. :D

14. apppanther

Aug 22, 2009
    I have the best idea for a background ever! I don't want to reveal too much too soon, I am posting it probably Wednesday, but I will say that I'm taking the water concept in a whole new direction, in two different ways! I am going to OWN this contest!

15. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Whoa!!! ;) What a cliffhanger! I love these competitions, so exciting. ;)

16. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Upgraded the prizes!

Ok guys, I upgraded the main prizes for this contest. Hope you like them. ;)

PS. I just managed to add the three-color blood for Pinata. Only the sweet sprite blood remains to be done, and I'll do it right away. :)

17. apppanther

Aug 22, 2009
    Oh my god!!!! Help!!!!! Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

fire! Fire! Fire! My drawing is on fire! Some water got too close to the outlets a..... I've said too much. You might find out what my background is. More on that l8tr. Background will be posted Wednesday night. Until then, adios, muchachos.

18. apppanther

Aug 22, 2009
    Ugh.

Five hours staright on this background I'm soooooo beat! Gotta keep going!

19. ttursas

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Oh noes, where did apppanther go!? Today is Wednesday...

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm on the edge of my seat...