iPad iDracula and average iDevice gamer IQ

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by -=XX=-Nephilim, Mar 2, 2009.

1. -=XX=-Nephilim

-=XX=-Nephilim Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    #1 -=XX=-Nephilim, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    After playing the game for few days and after reading all the funky reviews while at the same time app is cementing itself in no.1 spot one must be wondering few things about it...

1. Does gameplay really matters at all these days or is everything in "eye candy"?

2. What is the average age of i device gamers?

3. What is the general gaming background / experience of i device gamers?

I have marked this game with 2 stars in app store... It would be 1 star if not for truly awesome work on graphics and general polish...

Please note - this post has no intention of starting any flame war or to be offensive in any way - opinions simply differ and that is all. I just find iDracula phenomenon amazing and as long term gamer who pretty much played everything that matters I am curious about your opinions...

2. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    People probably bought it based on the fact that it had very nice graphics and was a shooter, something that is at the moment non-existant on the App store.

That doesnt mean people have low IQ's....though for what its worth I have a high score and I didnt buy it :p

3. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    The game does not pretend to be a deep experience.
    My opinion is that even the most experienced of the gamers should not forget the simple joys of life, such as a brainless never-ending slaughter of infernal creatures.

Anyway, the upcoming update will probably add something different.

4. -=XX=-Nephilim

Jan 29, 2009
    Don't get me wrong...

I didn't expect anything "deep or mega special" in regards to gameplay and I indeed LOVE "mindless slaughter"... From Diablo to Hero of Sparta... They are all mindless slaughter games.

But iDracula goes beyond that... Waaaaaaay beyond that hence questioning average IQ in this thread :)

5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

1. I removed iDracula the day I bought it. I don't like useless score hunts in such a survival game and wasn't entertained that much. I hoped that it would have a bit of Diablo feeling. Fail.

2. 31 ;)

3. Well, I played much stuff during the DOS times. Jump n Runs like Jill of the Jungle, Jack Jackrabbit, all the Apogee stuff. Car Racers like Death Rally and Nascar Racing. Space shooters like Privateer, X-Wing, Rebel Assault. Stunts. Incredible Machine. Warcraft. Dune. Sim City. Psycho Pinball. Blade Runner. And a game whose name I don't remember. Dark SF scenario, city with displays overall, you played a group of agents, used cars, killed people etc. Loved that ;). After that time, with Windows 3 and the 3D games coming up, I lost interest. 2006 I bought a DS (and loved Super Mario, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Kawashima). And now I'm on the iPhone. Still like these old games.

4. Haha ;). I immediately lost interest in iDracula. But the graphics were good, the game was polished. Just not meant for me. I gave three stars.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Stop making stupid threads like these first.

7. MattyFTM

MattyFTM Member

Mar 1, 2009
    #7 MattyFTM, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

8. Requiem667

Requiem667 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    I agree - the game is only 99 cents and it's damn fun for 99 cents! I've spent alot more on a lot less. It reminds me of Smash TV... such a fun, mindless game.

Smash TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AapB7dW3HA

The update looks great too!

9. -=XX=-Nephilim

Jan 29, 2009
    @Oliver

31 hehe - that must be it... 32 here ;)

@Arta

Why is it stupid!?!?

Simply ignore it - if you think it is - just like I ignored all the wow threads in regards to this game... Or, let us know what exactly makes it so special for you and what exactly, in your opinion, makes this game no.1 title in app store...

10. -=XX=-Nephilim

Jan 29, 2009
    Cool reply :)

I think you might be right there...

11. smear

smear Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    U.S. (Detroit, MI)
    I think you pretty much answered your own question here. I would imagine people who enjoy this game vary in IQ drastically.

12. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    anyway, to answer your questions:

1) gameplay matters to me. It's just that I enjoy playing this game. The controls, the different weapon behaviours, the perk system, everything seems simple but "fit". But what the heck, I also enjoy a litte papi jump from time to time, maybe you'll find this even less acceptable.

2) 27

3) I used to play a lot when I was a kid, from Vic 20 to personal computers. I kind of lost interest when I was about 18. About three years ago I bought a DS and last year I got a Wii as birthday present. My current favourites are Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros, Okami, the Phoenix Wright Series, No More Heroes, Mario Kart (on both platforms). All-time favourites include the Monkey Island series, ID software old games (Wolf3D-Doom-Quake), the Street Fighter series, Dune 2...

4) I don't know. Link me a reliable IQ test so we can detect the actual IQ of a iDracula player.

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot. I also have a XBox 360 with the Ion Premium Drumkit, but I only use it for Rock Band and Guitar Hero ;).

32 on March, 28 :(.

I must say that I love puzzle games and Tower Defense games and also RPGs on my iPhone. But there are no "good" RPGs available :). I like shooters and racing games, but I play them less on the iPhone than the other genres.

I also notice that the time I spent on a game is lower than on the DS, which seems to be the result of too many games coming out on the platform. I now have 2,5 home screens of games (which is, after a radical selection). Should only be 10 games at all... ;) Less games on the device results in increased playtime for these games... But then, something happens. Like geoDefense. Or Sentinel. Or Sway.

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    First off, for 99 cents you would be hard pressed to find a game of equal or greater polish in the appstore.

iDracula is popular for the same reason as Fieldrunners. They both have great graphics and are focused to casual users that are new to the genre. That's it.

Why is IQ a factor in this at all? IQ does not determine how smart you are but rather how well you acquire knowledge (i.e. learn and understand), apply knowledge (solve problems), and engage in abstract reasoning. So that point should be mute.

You say you don't want to instigate a flame war or be offensive but you insult the intelligence of everyone who happens to enjoy the game. Does this mean I cant shoot cops in gta4 or fend off hordes in Left 4 Dead? Will that make me a less intelligent human being? Hardly.

15. ObsidianKt

ObsidianKt Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    #15 ObsidianKt, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    First off, it seems unfair to compare iDracula to a console-based game. As others have pointed out, its .99 cents asking price is literally about 50 times less than what a console game costs. In theory, that means if you're looking at the games in turns of value per dollar, your expectations need to be about 50 times less than what they would be for a game like Diablo.

Second, the game does not advertise itself as a Diablo-like action rpg. Rather, it advertises itself as "an intense survival shooter," so the game really should be judged on this premise. To rate the game down for not being what you personally wanted it to be seems silly; it would be like saying Super Mario Brothers games are terrible first person shooters. Instead, a game should be judged on its own merits based on its entry level into the gaming world, and to be clear, iDracula is meant to be a $0.99 (or eventually $2.99) "intense survival shooter."

Third, I will concede that there seems to be (and maybe needs to be an inherent) "overall impression" factor that goes into reviews, but it needs to be made by with the proper expectations in mind. So if you were disappointed in iDracula because you expected more from the .99 cent survival shooter, and it didn't live up to its hype, that's fine. But don't confuse that with purchasing a 50+ dollar game in a genre other than what you intended.

Basing reviews on the aforementioned criteria, I'd find it hard to believe iDracula should have any less than a 3 star rating (if not higher). Other reviews based on faulty assumptions or pretense only convolute the App Store rating, which is a sad thing for developers, especially when they can only charge about .99 cents for their countless hours of developing.

16. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm 26, a hardcore gamer (I own every system), and I have a reasonably high level of education. I also have an above-average interest in subjects like language, politics and science. I'm not going to bother with my IQ, since the truly smart people know that IQ does not equate to functional intelligence in the real world.

I also like iDracula.

Why? Because I need to take bathroom breaks, just like everyone else. :D

In short: don't read too much into it.

17. -=XX=-Nephilim

Jan 29, 2009
    Ok, point taken...

I went too far with IQ remark and will edit original post :)

There was no offence meant with this but you are right, it was wrong...

However, my amazement with this game phenomenon and rave reviews still remains...

Please keep on posting your opinions and sorry for IQ remark!

My bad :(

18. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Haha, OK. Back on topic.

I call this the 'Bejewelled Effect'. These games are so simple that they can be enjoyed by hardcore gamers as well as housewives. These games are cheap to buy, easy to find, and take little skill to enjoy. You can play them for minutes or hours, with no risk of getting 'pwned' online or getting 'stuck' in a level.

Basically, they appeal to *everyone*. As a result, you see huge sales and generally positive reviews.

PopCap makes millions based on this formula. And with decent marketing, any simple enough game can achieve the same success.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I feel the same way about Fieldrunners. As a huge TD fan (I've been playing them for 10+ years) I consider subpar in every way except for the graphics.

That being said, I can completely understand the draw it would have to someone who doesn't take their TD games as seriously as I do.

I think it's a matter of the HUGE influx of non gamers that the iphone/itouch devices have brought in.

Simple tasks like "stop these guys from getting here" and "shoot everything" make it easy for them to jump into a game. They also don't feel penalized by just exiting the game at any time and going about their business.

20. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I must say that I thank Fieldrunners for creating the first TD game for the iPhone which was fun to look at. I bought it and showed it to my friends "look, that's what games should be in this platform". I lost interest after a few games and moved on to more complex TD games and I think many went this way too. So thanks to Fieldrunners there's a bigger market for TD games than without Fieldrunners.

Easy games are not always bad. Everyone has to start somewhere ;).