Universal iDOS 2

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    #41 ravippe, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Idos 2 version 1.3 has file sharong enabled get it NOW!!

Idos 2 works get it now they just updated it!! i just updated my version and backed up my ipa file. It works in 8.3 and above cause it has file sharing!

2. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Life is sweet and so is iDOS 2!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hot damn! :eek:

Snag it quick folks, before Apple gets wise!

4. Weaver1497

Weaver1497 Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Just want to offer a bump and make sure this gets everyones attention. This app has added file sharing and now works on 8.3. So you can use iTunes or other file sharing apps like iFunbox to add games.

My advice: Get it NOW, don't see this lasting long now that file sharing has been added. HUGE thank you to the developer for adding!!!

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, its been noticed already (above).

Its a great app and its so good when you can add some old classic DOS game to it.

6. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #46 Praymettin, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Theoretically ;) you can:
    - open the main directory of the application from itunes file share
    - copy the "config" folder to your desktop
    - edit the dospad.cfg in it and delete the last command "play"(without the quotations) after the [autoexec] command inside the text
    - delete the old "config" folder from the app file share(you can back up this but the app creates it anyway if it is missing)
    - place the new folder with the edited dospad.cfg file in its place
    - Run the app and get ready for typing. If you want to return to the menu again, just type "play" in the app

7. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    so i got an idea for idos 2. I was reading this website

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42266

roland has an app that replicates the original sound canvas.
    what people are doing is hooking up their pcs with dosbox to their ipads and turning their iphones or ipads into mt32 sound boxes like in the 1980s. this gives them better sound, without having to rely on dated hardware which will fail.

i think thats what they are talking about

now i wanted to figure out a way to get better sound from idos2 without alot of fuss. i love sierra games and they have
    mt32 enabled sound. is there any way to send the mt32 data sound from idos2 to the roland sound canvas app without any midi hookups? i want better sound from my games thats why.

so im thinking probably not because the soundcanvas app doesnt have a way to detect incoming midi from the idos2 without a cable setup.

so what if i got an irig midi 2, hooked it up to my ipad. then loaded idos 2. load space quest 3, with the setup.exe set to mt32 roland sound. then connect a midi cable to the midi out on the irig, then loop the other end to the midi in on the same irig , then wouldnt soundcanvas detect incomining midi? and turn what would be crappy adlib sound normally into great sounding mt32 sound without any boxes or anything?

a portable sierra game machine!!!

i hope this works thats why i need advise

8. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    A side note for better graphics on idos 2. Im posting this because it took me a long time to find this info, and its soooo awsome and so simple.

Go to idos. Go to settings, drag you finger from top screen to bottom and look for the gear icon.

Click configurations.
    The Default
    The dospad.cfg

Changed the scaler part to this
    scaler=hq2x

There are other options listed above like
    Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

But i like hq2x i think the other options can warp the screen cutting off parts but hq2x rocks. All the games look they got anti aliased with smooth edges and smoother colors!

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  10. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Is there anyway to get better midi sound using idos2? I know u can configure dosbox for midi but i only use it on my iPad, and it seems limited what i can do.i dont use my computer anymore Any suggestions?

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #51 drelbs, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Gravis Ultrasound Emulation. :)

You'll need to download some files for GUS support, and alter your config file.

Then for games supporting General MIDI you can have the GUS emulate with it's wavetable synth. (You can even set up the GUS to emulate SoundBlaster, but that's silly under DosBox - I used to do that IRL though...)

I think everything you need is here:

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=16974

EDIT: Don't worry about the Pro Patches, you don't need to go that far...

After you have GUS support, then you can play all the old Demoscene stuff! :p

12. jabz

jabz Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I see there is an update 1.3, should I upgrade, does it disable anything?

13. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Drelbs

Thank you for the great suggestion!

I tried to download the ultra sound pre installed directory and set my dospad.cfg to enable gus support. I selected mididemo and get great midi tracks playing....

But when i load any game like sierra kings quest or space quest The music doesnt come through. I installed them with general midi in the install.exe in each game.

But adlib works snd soundblaster

So you said i have to emnable gus emulation to waveable synth or something? How do i do that on my ipad. The instructions i read and re read but its over my head. And i have been using dos since 1995 so i dunno if im dumb or something

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Here's some updated drivers for the old Sierra games that may help:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Misc/UpdatedSoundCardDrivers.html

I looked for some details for MEGAEM, and there aren't many - but it lets the GUS emulate a Sound Blaster for digital samples and Roland Sound Canvas (or similar) for General MIDI. I think if you run MESETUP.EXE it'll walk you through it.

Also: any DOS game that uses Miles drivers, but doesn't support GUS, you can replace any of the drivers with the GUS one and select it. ;)

Welcome to the old days where you had to reconfigure things differently for different games. But when it all worked it was glorious! :D

15. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    #55 ravippe, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Thank you for all the help by the way I was wondering maybe if you could walk me through how to get one game to work with General MIDI sound and then I can probably reproduce the method to get all my games working.

Like pick any Sierra game like space quest 3 or kings quest 6 or anything that you know works .

I got all the games so

This is what I've actually done I installed a fresh copy of Idos 2. I went to that site u gave me and installed the preinstalled ultrasnd directory to the main dos directory using ifunbox on my iPad Air 2.

I set the dospad.cfg to enable Gus by removing the # symbol on front. And I made sure the port was set to 240.

I copied the me setup stuff from the 2nd link you on that website and dumped it in the root ultrasnd directory.

I ran mesetup.exe hit save configuration. Went to the dos prompt after .

And thats it.

I run my game no midi sound .

Now when I run that mididemo.exe I can hear clear midi files playing so I know that my thing is working . But when I click th other various .exe files some say I have to enable m emu and sound card can't be found but I just clicked those to play around . I think I'm not doing enough.

Give me a step process maybe lol

Thanks again!! Maybe you could just send me a preconfigured Idos 2 directory or something minus the games

16. ravippe

ravippe Active Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Okay so I have a question about roland sound Canvas for ios with idos 2 its 19.99 on the app store and it acts like those old boxes you used to use for Midi to play great games like Sierra or any other with MT 32 sound. Unfortunately those boxes are getting pretty out of date and hard to find not to mention that they fail because of their age

Let's say I run I DOS 2 with MT – 32 emulation game and run it through my lightning port in my iPad to an Irig midi 2 device output or through a lightning to usb adaptor.

So option one
    Ipad with lightnight to usb. With usb to midi cable.
    Iphone with i rig midi 2
    Plug in the usb end to the ipad. Plug the midi out cable to the input on the iphone.

Load sound canvas and turn on volume on iphone or pair it with a speaker.

Grab ipad play The game while the sound is coming out from your iPhone

Option two

Ipad with lightnight to usb. With usb to usb cable.
    Iphone Lightning to USB
    Plug in the usb end to the ipad. Plug the usb other end cable to the input on the iphone.

Load sound canvas and turn on volume on iphone or pair it with a speaker.

Grab ipad play The game while the sound is coming out from your iPhone

With this option would it even work? I have seen people hook up their keyboards with those lightning to USB adapters and it seems to work fine

Here is a YouTube video of someone showing how to hook up an iPad using older DOS pad with one of those USB adapters and it seems to work all I'm doing is changing the Roland box to an iphone with the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBISiYbvyg

17. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Whoops. This app doesn't seem to work with the GM release of iOS 9. Doh.

As for plugging in an external MIDI device ...erm, that kind of defeats the point of a tiny little mobile thing, don't you think? Plug it into a laptop or something instead. And I say that as someone who goes to silly lengths to do things on mobile.

18. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    That's a shame. What happens when you try to run it?

At least with Xcode 7 you can now build your own app from the source code. Hopefully more updated versions of dosbox will show up

19. IzumiNowa

IzumiNowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2015
    Unemployed/part-time job
    Just download DosBox for your pc/mac

20. Weaver1497

Weaver1497 Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Just updated to IOS 9 on my phone and iDos 2 is not longer working (Crashes). I hope the developer can get an update in again! Really want to continue to play Dos games on my iPad.