Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Thechansen

Thechansen Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Ultima 7 runs great with dynamic core! Anyone have any luck with Fallout? Also Crusader No Remorse/No Regret? I need to find my Crusader disks but I seriously miss playing them.

I'm considering installing Under a Killing Moon but the controls might be too odd for that to be playable.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I sometimes wonder why people bother developing stuff like this... they must know how much of a risk they're taking. Either they've got time and money to spare and don't particularly care if it gets pulled, or they think Apple is far more lenient than they really are. Sure it's fun to push the boundaries, but what kind of person wants to take that risk rather than just confirming with Apple/the guidelines/other developers first?

I'm assuming it goes into the "iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad Apps" section of the app library on iTunes. Those are the ones you can sync to any device and they'll work.

3. scarnie

scarnie Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I've spent a lot of time reviewing and discussing Apple's SDK terms of service, believe me. Whilst they have certainly loosened the reigns, I could see Apple pulling this as a violation of this document, which every developer must agree to. Nothing to do with DOSBOX itself.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  5. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Ok. So I picked this up. Now what the hell do I do? LOL

6. scarnie

scarnie Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    100% absolutely - trust me, I'm an iOS dev ;-)

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Yup.

8. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Nice! Do you have an update? This was the first thing I was going to do when I got home from work.

9. Atomos

Atomos Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I loaded the game clockwerx onto my iPhone 3GS and followed the instructions, but when I am trying to run the file "clockwrx.exe" (the proper exe for the game) I get a message saying "This program requires Microsoft Windows". Any tips?

10. Hackmodford

Hackmodford Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I got Kings Quest IV to run without a hitch.
    I did it for a friend of mine... brought back great memories for him...

11. Awesome, thanks, because the Canadian iTunes store is timing right the hell out right now; can't download a thing right now (not on my iPhone, my iPad at home or iTunes at home, my wife reports) so it's a good thing I got it when I did.

12. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    It's a universal app. I don't think this should be an issue, unless I'm missing something.

--DotComCTO

13. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    case sensitive, if hasn't been answered yet.

14. zI Veo Iz

zI Veo Iz Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    Does this mean I can play Daggerfall on my iPhone?

15. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #156 tsharpfilm, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    They probably made it for themselves. And if it gets pulled, they can always sell it to jailbreakers. I really hope Apple is smart about this, and doesn't pull this app. If they do, they're only going to make more people jailbreak.

Interesting. And there's something in the document that specifically forbids these kinds of apps? That's not cool. It's not like any harm could be done with a DOS emulator. Or could there be? This year Apple approved the Commodore 64 emulator. Maybe they've had a change of heart? :)

Edit: Wait a minute... You ARE the C64 emulator developer. :D

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's an open source project that has been around for a long time and available to jailbreakers for free. All they did was bundle it up and submit it to the App Store. Not much of a risk.

17. skyperion

skyperion Active Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Can you tell me how you got Ultima 7 running. I get the EMS error. I have tried adding "ems=false" to the dospad.cfg file but still no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Skyperion

18. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Yes! Called my wife and she downloaded it from iTunes for me!

I was only exposed to some limited DOS games back in the day. What are some other recommendations other than the ones already in this thread? Any decent racers or shooters?

19. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Hmmm. I took a DOS class in middle school and that was years ago. Thankfully I remember dir. I now have the games' names. But what's the command to run em? Run "__" is an illegal command. Trololol.