Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ah — but you see, you are running an emulator within an emulator — that will certainly have a major impact on performance.

Truncana likes this.
  2. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Is there a way to make idos faster?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Basically, emulator speed is all about the quality of the coding — how efficient is the code, are they using system processes, how are they managing multiple core’s etc.? And that’s all on the developers of both emulators. But in general, an emulator that uses an emulator as it base code is always going to be inefficient.

Truncana and Gwarmaxx like this.
  4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1544 Gwarmaxx, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    come on, it has always been almost impossible to run smoothly an emulator inside another emulator, forget about it and try to download one of those excellent snes emus available in the web ;)

edit> btw, i have an old 4S just to play emus, mostly those ones that came out officially on the appstore back in the days, and Floppy Cloud for nes/snes was/is one of the best out there, you can still find it in one of those “well known” websites.

Truncana likes this.
  5. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    my iPhone 8 is not jailbroken, so I think that there are not any snes emulators out there in AppStore. Or, if you know any solution, please tell me...

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As far as I know, there’a really no good solution for playing emulated games on an iPhone with a recent iOS. There was a time when you could sideload emulators without jailbreaking, but unfortunately (or fortunately if you are concerned about security), those loopholes where closed long ago. Let me add that even when you could install emulators, I never found one that had truly satisfying onscreen controls. They were okay for turn-based JRPGs, but that left our a lot of classic games.

So, if you want to play SNES games on the go, what are your options?
    • You could get an Android phone. That wasn’t an option for me, and it might not be for you. And frankly, switching to Android just to have access to emulators seems like overkill, especially since those emulators have the same touch control issues as far as I know.
    • You can get a used Nintendo GBA. One thing I realized when I started getting into classic games is that the GBA was essentially a handheld SNES — in fact, most classic SNES games were released in their original or improved form on GBA. You can find GBAs and games on eBay, but they are not cheap.
    • You can get a Sony PSP or PSP Go and homebrew it. There is a well established homebrew community that can guide you through the process of jailbreaking a PSP and installing emulators. A used PSP will set you back around $100. (I own a PSP-Go and I think it’s a fantastic retro console, and not just for SNES games).
    • You can get an emulator-focused handheld. These sell new for $150-$300, they run Android or a version of Linux and come with emulators (and sometimes games) preinstalled. You can find YouTube reviews of most devices available so you can choose the one that meets your needs. I own an Ambernic RG350M, and that’s solid piece of kit. It has a nice, bright screen and will play everything from NES games to PS1 games. It comes with two sticks, shoulder buttons, and triggers, so it does great on later PS1 games.
    The second and third options are, of course, ethically challenging, unless you go out of your way to but the cartridges before you download the game ROMs (and even then, the law is not on your side). But that would be true of an SNES emulator on your phone...

Truncana likes this.
  7. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you for your opinions. I was just searching a way to have an snes emulator running on my iPhone 8, but is just a year that I solved the problem using a wonderful website called retrogames.cc that emulate a lot of old fashioned consoles in streaming and they run really well. My concern was only about having an emulator unchained from the internet connection. Anyway thank you so much.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    There is also https://altstore.io from the guy who made GBA4iOS back in the day. It has its own set of quirks but I don't believe you need a constant internet connection to use it, just need to do the weekly re-authorization thingy. Might be an option worth looking more into.

Truncana likes this.
  9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    AltStore ;)

While I can personally vouch that installing AltStore works without a hitch and it's completely safe, it wasn't for me. I personally enjoy the walled gardens of Apple.

EDIT: Damn you @Boardumb! :p

Truncana likes this.
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Great tip — didn’t know this was still a thing.

11. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    #1551 Alex DeLargest, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Eclipse is a multiplatform emulator that’s a web app.

https://eclipseemu.me/

Just make a home screen shortcut and presto! Can side load your games from iCloud, Drive, Dropbox. Since it’s a JavaScript emulator as a web app, it can’t be revoked and doesn’t require certificate management or anything.

I’ve never had luck getting it to work well with SNES, but the GBA, GBC, and NES support is all pretty good.

Also, once you’ve “downloaded” and “installed” the web app, you don’t need an internet connection. You can load the game files from synced iCloud storage or even from ‘On My iPhone’ storage.

Truncana likes this.
  12. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Thank you! I knew of eclipse, but never got luck running snes games. Anyway great site.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    BTW: set up AltStore/Delta on my phone. Works quite well.

Truncana likes this.
  14. Wayne88

Wayne88 New Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    #1554 Wayne88, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021

15. Wayne88

Wayne88 New Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Male
    Where is the blog post ?

16. Jordan P

Jordan P New Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Male
    Hi there, I just started using iDOS 2 on my iPad, mainly to play old Sierra and Lucasfilm/Lucasarts adventure games. I’m wondering, are you able to save your games? If remember correctly, in Scummvm you can use one of the F keys to save, but the keyboard in iDOS doesn’t seem to have them….anyone know if it’s possible to save your games in iDOS? Thanks!

17. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah sure, ie on Monkey Island or Space Quest with F5.

loving to have all those beautiful adventures on my device… a lot of memories of those distant days.

Jordan P likes this.
  18. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    So I tried this ages ago and got the games to load but couldn’t get them to play. Is it possible get games like Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior to run alright with IDOs2? Last time I tried when it tried to load the sound driver it kept crashing.

19. Jordan P

Jordan P New Member

Jun 5, 2021
    Male
    But the built in keyboard in iDOS doesn’t have F keys…..am I missing something?

20. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1560 Gwarmaxx, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    tap on fn key (bottom left), and you’ll get the other part of the keyboard with F keys, etc etc.

oh, and you can also customize all the keys on both joystick/dpad layouts.

Jordan P likes this.