Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey Truncana, can you explain me the precise steps to have it working through iCloud drive?

2. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    download a game from your preferred site, it is now in file app, in icloud drive. Now you need to extract it if it’s compressed. Then I prefer to move the folder to “iPhone” folder of the file app. Then you must rename that folder whit an extension “.idos”. After that the folder change in appearance and you can touch it and idos will open. Now you can run the game as you do in a real dos pc.

3. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1483 Gwarmaxx, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    i figured out that way, but i can't understand the benefits, you still have to run it in the DOS typing all prompts, i thought it was an automatic faster way to run it.

my way is: download the chosen game in icloud drive, unzip it (or not), copy the newly game folder on the iDOS2 directory in iPhone folder and is all done, you don't need to change the game folder name with the .idos extension, you just need to open iDOS2 and run it.

having said that, there's a more complex trick to run a DOS game faster:

open a .txt doc and type:

cd (name of the game folder)
    (name of the game exe)
    cd\

then save as (name of the game folder).bat

copy and paste the newly created .bat file in the main iDOS2 directory and then go to run the game just typing only the folder name, and the game will start.
    so, if you rename a game folder just 1,2 or 3, the game will run just typing a stupid number and ENTER...

Truncana likes this.
  4. litchie

litchie Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    The reason doing this is you can put a custom `dospad.cfg` in the config folder, and launch your game in the [autoexec] section. You will drop right into the game without typing anything.

Truncana likes this.
  5. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Landscape fix is up! Thanks litchie

Truncana and litchie like this.
  6. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    Whoever fixed the thread title, THANK YOU!

Truncana likes this.
  7. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Haha yeah, you need to remember your old DOS commands. Took me a couple minutes to recall how to view the directory contents in a paged format so I could find the executable name.

I've just been using iExplorer to copy the game folders into the iDOS app's area, then handling the installation and running from within the app itself.

Best thing I've found for actual playing is to use a bluetooth mouse to control the touch interface. I REALLY wish external keyboards would work though, so if anyone finds a way to do that please share!

8. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    There was external keyboard support before, but it's only good for text input. True external keyboard support relies on private APIs, so can't make it to appstore unless you install from source (iDOS is open source on github).

I believe game controller support makes more sense.

9. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey litchie, why i can’t see it in full screen on my 6S?

10. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    There is a limit on aspect ratio. How bad is it? Can you share a screenshot?

11. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1491 Gwarmaxx, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    yeah, sure 5FE7375D-6106-4129-A5CE-BCF5C8B7176E.png

oh, can you give me some tips on how to customize the .cfg file to launch a game within cloud drive?

12. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    The blog post is updated with details. Please let me know if you still have problems.
    Basically, you append the following to config/dospad.cfg:
    [autoexec]
    cd gamefolder
    play

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  13. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1493 Gwarmaxx, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    ok, these are your words from the blog... "First we prepare a folder in iCloud drive with the suffix .idos, then put our game files in that folder. After the folder is synced to your iPad, you can tap on that folder to start iDOS. iDOS will automatically mount it as disk C."

now, i wonder how do you put game files inside a .idos folder if it turns automatically in an exe?????????
    it is no longer a folder!!!!!!!
    am i so stupid???

maybe you meant that have to put them before changing the folder name/extension?

14. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    yes, before...

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  15. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #1495 Gwarmaxx, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    anyway, in the way it is explained i can't make it work, too confusing, can someone explain me step by step, please???

from what i can understand, i need to download the game from a website, go to Downloads folder inside File app, unzip downloaded file if needed, move the main game folder into iCloud drive one, rename it with .idos extension, then go to pick the config file inside iDOS app root, open it with a specific third party app that allows you to open a .config file, edit the config in the autoexec section (as explained in the blog), save it replacing the original one, close all and launch the game through the exe inside iCloud drive folder??????

should it work like this????? for each game?????

PURE MADNESS!!!!!!!!

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  16. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    For random games, you just use the old way.

By the way, you can mount a folder(including *.idos files) in icloud drive as disk d by typing "open" in the DOS command line. With an EDIT.EXE, you should be able to modify the configuration file right inside the app.

Truncana likes this.
  17. subgenius

May 30, 2014
    Is there something I'm missing then to get my keyboard (logitech slim combo case/keyboard) to work as a text input, or has that functionality been removed since it's only giving you text? For games with lots of typing I would still love to use it rather than rely on the on-screen keyboard.

18. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    It's disabled for the app store version at the moment. We can bring it back, but just don't expect it to work for action control.

19. subgenius

May 30, 2014
    That would be AWESOME! Huge help for playing games with a lot of text input.

20. litchie

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    Since you are playing text adventure games, will you find it helpful if you can customize a special onscreen keyboard with common words?

Truncana likes this.