Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    It's official. People suck.

As many of you know, I've been running a BBS for iDOS for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, someone decided they should try and hack the computer it's running on. They failed miserably.

However, they did manage to get into a low-security virtual machine I had running for other people to do testing on. They attempted to root the machine and... do something with it. AFAICS, they really didn't do anything of value. In fact, I can't find evidence that they even succeeded in rooting anything.

What they did do is change the password for the user they logged in as and (here's the part that actually pisses me off) wipe the user's home directory. All the test files I had set up for users to play around with? Gone. Any experiments being run? Gone. The service being provided to friends? Disabled.

WTF was the point of that? They didn't even manage to delete the .bash_history! I have a full log of where they came from, the sites they contacted, and all the commands they ran! If the purpose was to cover their tracks, they clearly had no idea what they were doing.

It's been said that no good deed goes unpunished. The unfortunate corollary of that is that one person ruins it for everyone.

I will be reconsidering the continuing operation of the BBS and possibly discontinuing it after review. I apologize in advance for anyone who will be inconvenienced. I'd like to continue it indefinitely, but if it serves to be a magnet for moron-kiddiez, then there is little point. Sorry everyone. :(

2. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Wow. I cannot believe someone who go through that much effort to ruin it for everyone else.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Aww, that sucks, wii. I think your BBS is really cool – took me way back. What a shame.

4. Chross

Chross Member

Oct 27, 2010
    So, I'm not sure if this has been detailed or not but I wanted to ask. I recall, back in my younger years there was a way to create an autoexec file that one could run in order to run a game or general exe from any location in DOS. That is, instead of having to navigate through all the file names to reach the exe to run, you can simply run it from C:\ and DOS would take care of the rest.

Anyone remember how to do this? Is this possible in iDOS? If so, how do I go about creating these for my games?

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #1425 Teknikal, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Pretty lousy I can actually understand people hacking things just for the challenge and thrill of it but I really can't get my head round why people purposely break things and wipe files etc surely it serves no purpose and just makes the hack obvious.

I think Idos is pretty cool and I'm glad I managed to grab it but I haven't really found a real use for it, I have got most things I've tried to run but nothing is really all that playable control wise. I think it shows a lot of potential of what the IOS devices could be though.

sounds like just a batch file just write the commands you want in notepad or something and name the file .bat use a new line for each command .

6. THRASH

THRASH Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Chemical engineer
    Chula Vista
    You're sigged!

7. sonofstev

sonofstev Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Adventure games at GOG.com are 50% off this weekend. Great time to stock up on iDOS-compatible titles!

Any word on a new version available at Cydia?

8. SHutch01

SHutch01 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    US
    OMG I just realized the latest updates allowed me to use my little bluetooth keyboard with this on my iPhone now. Hooray! Time to hit the donate button again! Thank you so much, litchie! :):):)

Edit: I have the latest Dospad version, not the iDos version that was on the App Store.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sooo wish I had downloaded this but I was on a plane..

10. litchie

litchie Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    #1430 litchie, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    bluetooth keyboard is partially supported at this time. That means, you can't use CTRL/ALT/ESC/Function keys. And the arrow keys are not fast enough for action games. Hope apple will provide some more keyboard API in future, until then we have to live with it.

If you are playing text based games, it should be ok, otherwise I prefer virtual gamepad/joystick, and I am looking forward to feedbacks for them.

11. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    #1431 Haephestos, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    Any idea why this new update would have caused crashes of game executables for fallout and TES? Has anything changed in the base emulation?

Edit: Is there any way to customize the buttons on the new controller layouts? I need WASD controls for TES and to bind some shortcuts in fallout. That is, if I can get them working again.

Thanks for any help.

12. litchie

litchie Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    Nothing changed in the underlying emulation.

To play safe, you should use "core=simple" in your dospad.cfg.. Let me know if you still have problem with it.

To customize layout, please follow this link: DOSPad doc

13. highfly117

highfly117 New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    ok i got imperium galatica to install but all i can manage to do is get the intro to play at about 10 fps then the start screen comes up. it crashes when you pick a difficulty any ideas out there would love to get this game to work

14. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    Well, of course it was pulled.

15. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Still jail broken on os 3.2. Still using idos.

16. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Will it ever be back? The window of opportunity to download is very small and I missed it.

17. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Nope. Gone forever. But with Apple's lazy staff letting through everything from NES to DOS, something new will sneak in soon. But for now, rejoice in Moral Decay, the store's newest slip-in. :)

18. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Whoa, I better look it up then. Moral decay nice name.

19. _ro

_ro New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Warcraft 2 on DOSPAD APP on ipod touch 4gen

i used this

http://www.dospad.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106

to get warcraft 2 on my ipod

this to SSH

http://ipodtouchtricks.net/ipod-touch-tutorials/how-to-ssh-into-ipod-touch-2g-transfer-files-apps-via-ssh-access/

and in the first link it tells you to edit dospad.cfg. I used winscp to do that(right click "edit)

When running war2 in dos pad, came up with "unable to create etc..." errors. To fix this, I used winscp and right clicked on the warcraft2 folder and granted write permissions.

WARCRAFT 2 RUNS ON MY IPOD TOUCH 4TH GENERATION!! WITH SOUND!!

If I knew how to include a picture on this I would!

20. _ro

_ro New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Warcraft 2 on DOSPAD APP on ipod touch 4gen

i used this

http://www.dospad.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106

to get warcraft 2 on my ipod

this to SSH

http://ipodtouchtricks.net/ipod-touch-tutorials/how-to-ssh-into-ipod-touch-2g-transfer-files-apps-via-ssh-access/

and in the first link it tells you to edit dospad.cfg. I used winscp to do that(right click "edit)

When running war2 in dos pad, came up with "unable to create etc..." errors. To fix this, I used winscp and right clicked on the warcraft2 folder and granted write permissions.

WARCRAFT 2 RUNS ON MY IPOD TOUCH 4TH GENERATION!! WITH SOUND!!

Attached Files: