Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    ^^^ Thanks great post. Can't let this thread die. Been testing programs and will post a good list later. :cool:

2. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    just beat Police Quest 2. no issues.

3. Danilofc

Danilofc New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    windows 95

Hi, its possible to install win 95? i d'like to install not run a img...

thanks

4. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Running an image is installing the program from a CD image, you _are_ installing Win95.

It will take an iPAD or iPhone4/iPod 4th gen, from what I understand, as my 3rd gen iPod is just not fast enough.

Use the configs and image/iso mounting commands posted in this thread earlier and it should work.

Rixx

5. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    He's talking about the .IMG file of Win95 that was distributed earlier in this thread. It's a complete installation of the OS.

To answer the question, I do not believe you can install Windows 95 sans an IMG file. DOSBox emulates the FAT filesystem prior to the introduction of long filenames. Since Windows 95 cannot operate without long filenames, it's a near certainty that Win95 will not run on vanilla DOSBox.

The reason why the IMG file works is that Windows is able to format it with its own filesystem; thereby avoiding the problem with the 8.3 file lengths.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't see any reason you couldn't do a proper install of win 95 inside Idos to be honest although I've no CD to try it myself but Win 95 was always installed despite being on top of DOS with it's 8,3 file names.

What I'd suggest trying is copying the setup files from the CD into a folder and running the setup from there. I think it would work but with the lack of internet I don't really see much use for it personally.

I'm curious myself to be honest but not to the extent I'll hunt down a CD and try it.

7. Triver

Triver Member

Nov 17, 2010
    hi there, itunes says that this app isnt aviable in my country...can i or the developers do anything so that i can also get it?
    i would really like to have dos on my ipod :p

8. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego

Jailbreak

9. Triver

Triver Member

Nov 17, 2010
    well, except jailbreak because my ipod is brand new and i dont want to loose my warranty or maybe even break it

10. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Sorry, but Windows 95 never installed on a DOS version with 8.3 filenames. Win95 shipped with a special version of DOS (DOS 7.0) that supported long filenames. The support came in the form of the VFAT filesystem which stored two versions of the filename: The 8.3 name and the 255 character name.

DOS 7.1 (Windows 95 OEM 2) added support for FAT32. FAT32 had the same features, but could format multi-gigabyte hard drives.

My understanding is that when you booted into Windows 95, DOS took a back seat. Win95 loaded its own protected mode driver for the filesystem, which circumvented the DOS calls. Which poses another challenge for DOSBox that is most easily solved with a disk image.

11. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    As far as we know, does iDOS work on 4.2?

12. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    It does.

13. Metroplex

Metroplex Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Can anyone give me detailed instruction on how to install and get Warcraft 2 and oblivion: daggerfall to work. I want WC2 to work more than oblivion so if anyone can pm me or even using AIM help me please!

AIM: metroplexwashere
    Email: [email protected]

14. ikemike

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    To my experience, Daggerfall runs too slow to be playable. It's somewhere around .2-.25 fps, from my experience.

15. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Get an US itunes account. You can mmake one in 3 minutes without a credit card.

Google it, how to do that.

16. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    then yer outta luck im afraid.

app was pulled from the store within hours of release.

17. Metroplex

Metroplex Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Then what about WC2 or even WC? I've tried but it won't even load up. It's getting frustrating and no one seems to give any tips on getting it to work...

18. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I have the medium install running fine at about 10fps. The problem is that the iPhone (4) gets very hot after about 10 mins of play. :(

19. ikemike

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Odd. What settings did you have it on?

20. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Cycles: max
    Core: Dynamic
    Memsize: 64

But my drive has a permanent max size of 110mb (a compatibily thing) an that means that I can't install anything bigger than medium. Because it automounts, I can't use the freesize command to change it. Any ideas?