Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    #1361 Reaper1181, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Thank you so much off to try will report results in the morning.
    Edit: Where should i download infozip unzip? if i get it off of the server(is that the right word?) its just a zip and im stuck back where i started.

2. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

ah ha! awesome, thanks for that.

3. Funny, so have I, and our observations differ in complete opposition. And apparently I'm not remotely alone. Matter of fact, ask anyone who's used a CRT monitor what they prefer: 60Hz refresh rate or faster, just for every day use? Because I'll tell you, the 60Hz flicker bothered the hell out of me. I was fine with 75Hz and above though. (LCD monitors are different though as liquid crystals have a slower response time than phosphors so images persist better due to slight blurring.) I don't know how folks in the UK managed with 50Hz monitors in the 80s. Drove me nuts when I played an Atari ST or Amiga game or demo that ran in PAL. I could even hear the whine of the flyback transformer when it switched to PAL.

And yes, I can see the difference between a game running at 30FPS and 60FPS. The difference is quite obvious to me. For the most part anything above that is only noticeable by unsynchronized texture shearing in 3D objects (presuming the frame rate is not an exact multiple of the monitor's refresh rate).

Your personal observations are not mine. Or most other people's.

4. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    *sigh* Here we go again.

Here's how it works: The individual elements of the eye have a cycle rate of about 10-15 frames per second. *Technically* speaking, you can't see any faster than that. However, the brain has very good software that is able to decode the in-betweens. It figures out how something moves in that time period and gives you the perception of seeing more frames per second.

This is particularly crucial when we're talking about pixel-based raster displays. These displays do not have enough pixels to saturate the human eye. (Save for maybe the iPhone 4. ;)) In result, the brain detects the movement of pixels and notes when they seem to "jump" inconsistently. The fewer screen refreshes you have, the greater the distances pixels must travel to achieve the same effective motion for a given period of time.

To negate this "jumping pixel" effect, more refreshes can be used to ensure that even fast movement travels very few pixels per frame. (Ideally, one.) By filling in those gaps, the human brain interprets the movement as smoother than if it finds gaps between points.

In short: More frames per second == Smoother animation

End of story.

NO CARRIER

5. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #1365 thewiirocks, Nov 5, 2010
    In the Tools section of the BBS. It has a .EXE extension. (i.e. Name it "infozip.exe" not "infozip.zip".) Download it and run it. It will self-extract a file called "unzip.exe". Run "unzip.exe airtrax.zip" and everything will just work. :)

6. Rods and cones don't operate in synchrony though, so while one rod/cone may be "refreshing" others are seeing what that one is missing, and our brain cobbles all of that into one continuous stream of visual information. But there are other factors at work too, such as the contrast between what you're seeing and your environment, the contrast between the changes in what you're seeing, and how much information what you're seeing contains, since your brain is very selective about what information it pays attention to. It's never as easy as "what frame rate do we see at?" because our eyes and brain don't work that way.

7. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Right. Which means we're actually seeing a constant blur of information. The brain is just *very* good at filling in the in-betweens.

Here's a great experiment for everyone: Go look in a mirror. Stare at your eyes. Are they moving? Now have someone else look in the mirror and stare at their own eyes. That other person will tell you that their eyes are not moving. But if you look at them as an observer, you can clearly see their eyes scanning the mirror.

This little trick demonstrates how the brain fills in the gaps. You can only see what the brain is able to fill in. Since you can only see your eyes when you look at them and your brain is thinking, "I'm staring at that spot", you see your eyes staying still.

8. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Got unzipped to work but am tired so I will get back to you on if it worked or not. Thanks for the help and have a good night.

9. #1369 Mindfield, Nov 5, 2010
    That's not really the brain filling in the gaps. Constant eye movement, or "scanning" is something we all do from birth; it keeps the image in front of us fresh for our brain, as if we stopped moving our eyes, fatigue would set in and we'd begin to stop seeing it. (It's similar to the way we stop smelling a particular smell once we've been constantly exposed to it for a certain period of time -- about 25 seconds or so.) Having the eyes constantly scanning is a way for them to effectively send the brain updated information by utilizing different rods and cones. We don't see our own eyes constantly moving because the brain filters it out. It's the same mechanism responsible for the way we seem to see with excellent stability when we're in motion, yet when we film that same motion with a camera it's all shaky. Cameras don't filter that out. (Well, modern ones with anti-shake can to some degree, but not nearly as well as our brains.)

10. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    That's my point. I'm not talking about the scanning. I'm talking about the filtering of it. The brain's software is excellent at filling in gaps and perceiving information that it may or may not directly observe. In result, we get that excellent stabilization, we can see movement at 150fps, and occasionally we hallucinate something creepy when we're tired.

Trust me, I've spent quite a bit of time bouncing pixels around on the screen to research the brain's interpretation. It's amazing what the brain perceives as "smooth" movement vs. "jerky" movement. Technically all pixel-based movement is jerky. But if the movement follows a precise movement path with a fixed frame rate, the brain *will* see it as smooth.

In result, my software (whenever possible) operates at even divisions of the Vertical Refresh rate with movement in even multiples of pixels. You'd be amazed how much smoother than comes across than time-based movement that's out of sync with the display timings.

11. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    In general, I think the psp n64 emu is more advanced and runs with better fps on inferior psp hardware than this emu. Heck the psp amiga emu is like perfect as well.

12. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    I have an iGo™ Stowaway® Ultra-Slim Bluetooth® Keyboard, and it worked great with my Palm TX.
    When I first got an iPod touch, it would not pair up (2cd gen.)

Tonight I dug it out, and with my 3rd gen with 4.01, and it works. Sorta.

It works in the OS in notepad, and safari.

I can use it in Frotz, but I cant get it to respond in iDOS.

Any way to make it work?

Rixx

13. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    The application has to hook into the iOS keyboard APIs. Since I believe that iDOS uses its own virtual keyboard, a real keyboard is unlikely to work. (I have an official keyboard dock for the iPad, and iDOS does not respond to it.) The author would need to enhance his virtual keyboard with external keyboard support. But since the app has been pulled, there's little chance of non-Jailbreakers ever seeing this feature.

14. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #1374 thewiirocks, Nov 5, 2010
    Last Night's Update to iDOS BBS

Tons of new stuff went into last night's update. Here's just a few of them:

• A snapshot of the BBS source code is now available in the Tools section
    • Downloads have been enhanced to provide a "hint" to QModem on the correct filename
    • The File Download areas have a spiffy new look
    • Bread crumbs make file listings easier to navigate than ever!
    • Chat upgrades are complete. Messages now appear to all users when typed, not when the user refreshes.
    • Tons of new freeware
    • Christmas specials for Lemmings and Jazz the Jackrabbit
    • Several new former-shareware games under the Epic Megagames brand
    • Moraff software has now been added (Anyone who got shareware catalogs back in the day probably remembers Moraff ;))
    • Desktop environments like GEM, DESQview, and VisiOn are now available for download
    • MIDIs and MOD files are coming soon! Utilities are available now, but if you want samples you'll need to find the secret area. :eek:

Also, the BBS still needs a name! Here are the suggestions so far:

• iBBS
    • Antique Future
    • Steampunk Citadel

What are your suggestions?

Edit: Here's the previous list of upcoming enhancements and their statuses. Please let me know if you want anything added.

- More software! (ongoing)
    - Software uploads so users can share with each other
    - Faster transfers with a custom client
    - More IRC-like chat that pushes updates without needing to refresh (DONE!)
    - ANSI Animations and Menus (DONE!)
    - Ability to put in a URL and download files from the internet at large
    - Links or Lynx support?

15. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Yeah, I think I'll give in and JB if keyboard support is added.
    (Assuming it works well)

Rixx

16. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I see someone found the secret area. Impressive!

if it helps, I found an interesting method of getting ModPlayer to work. Basically, set the output to PC Speaker (weird, I know), then set your cycles to ~2000. The playback should be just about perfect. (Keeping in mind that it's still a MOD file.)

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Has anyone tried DOS MAME yet?

18. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Actually, it would be possible to update. Since iDOS already has root access, just transfer a update installer to iDOS.

19. sonofstev

sonofstev Member

Oct 27, 2010
    #1379 sonofstev, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Success! Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within works at nearly 100% on the iPad.

Sometimes during long cut-scenes, the audio gets out of sync with the video, but the gameplay is flawless.

My method was to track down the DosBox installer here.

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Files/NewInstallers/GK2ForDOSBox.exe

Run it, put in your original disc 1 and go from there. The installer has issues on Windows 7, so run it using Windows XP Mode or on a Windows XP machine.

When done, transfer all the files to c:\gk2\ on your iPad. You can't zip it up and use iTunes, because neither unzip nor pkunzip can handle a 2 gig ZIP file. You'll have to use SSH or use iTunes to transfer all the files and then copy them to their appropriate subdirectories.

Use the DosBox config file that comes with the DosBox installer, but set the CPU cycles at 3,500 rather than 10,000 and delete the autoexec part.

Execute it by typing sierra.exe resource.cfg

Voila! Any questions about details, PM me.

20. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I can't think it would be very fast. Most attempts at emulating inside an emulator go very poorly. Earlier in the thread someone attempted NES emulation in iDOS. It wasn't really usable.

You're suggesting that the DOS prompt be used to replace the executable? Interesting idea. My only real concern is that the DOS virtualization of the Filesystem would mess up the naming. And if that happens, the app is toast. (Make sure you have a backup! :))

If you decide to try it, let us know how it went.

Nice work! For those who don't have the original install disks, the game can be purchased from GOG:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gabriel_knight_2_the_beast_within

--------------

BBS Updates

The BBS now provides the ability to upload files to share with other users! The music section has also been made public, providing access to numerous MOD and MIDI files!