Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Im sooo close I can smell it!:) only problem is once im in qmodem it says im in terminal mode and im unable to type anything?
    any ideas? (fingers crossed:)

2. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Once you choose a file to download and get the "Start the XModem transfer." message, you need to press the PgDn key. On the iPad you can turn horizontal and the key will be in the number-pad area. On the iPhone, you can map it to one of the full-screen keys.

Typically this happens if the COM port setting is wrong. Make sure that you set the first serial port to a modem in DOSPAD.CFG, and that COM1 is selected in QINSTALL.EXE.

3. I was gonna say ... I just didn't wanna be rude in case it was one of those "stupid quote" sigs without any attribution. :D

4. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    #1344 scarypharaoh, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    Edit:- tried again and it works!! really cool!:)
    Many thanks thewiirocks:)

Thanks! I have my dospad.CFG:-

[dosbox]
    memsize=64

[serial]
    serial1=modem listenport:2323

[sblaster]
    #sbtype=none

[render]
    frameskip=0

[cpu]
    core=normal
    cycles=3000
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=20

[mixer]
    #rate=22050
    #blocksize=8192
    prebuffer=100

[midi]
    mpu401=none
    mididevice=none

[speaker]
    #pcspeaker=false

[render]
    scaler=none

[joystick]
    joysticktype=none

does that look ok?

Also, in qmodem qinstall i have:-

Attached Files:

5. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    @ thewiirocks. When ever I download something it takes on the name of the last item on the list. Then once it's done downloading I go to the downloads file and try to unzip it and it won't find the file any ideas?

6. netbeui

netbeui New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I was in the same boat and finally figured it out. You need to press ALT-E to change to duplex then you can type :)

7. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I'm happy to hear you got online! :)

The name is QModem's attempt at guessing the correct name. It's not very good at it and the name it chooses may be incompatible with DOS. Make sure you set the path and name to what YOU want during the download process. If you give it a name with a maximum of 8 letters and number + the ".zip" extension, you should have no trouble finding and extracting it. :)

(e.g. c:\QMODEM\DOWNLOAD\ALIENC.ZIP)

8. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    @ thewiirocks thank you very much for the help. Any plans on what your addin next?

9. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I mentioned a bunch of stuff a few posts back. Anything in particular you're interested in?

10. jac2982

jac2982 Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    perhaps its a messup on my end, but when i go to download alien carnage it claims the zip is whiz.zip, which i believe is actually for the last program in the list

11. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    It's actually QModem doing that. There's no filename given in XModem transfers. So QModem makes an educated guess. That's why you're seeing the bizarre name. Just make sure you change it before you accept the path. :)

12. jac2982

jac2982 Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    excellent! thanks for the tip

13. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    @minefield: try playing fallout 3 or oblivion with a framerate cap of 30 (not vsync) and without. Or any unreal engine 3 or 2(modified) game. World of difference in performance and in the heat generated, not to mention battery life. No difference in playspeed or smoothness from a computer running perfectly capped at fps60.

So no, my sig isn't bunk- I actually have seen what an engine hook framerate limit does at 15, 30, and 60 fps vs uncapped or vsync.

14. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    As promised, the source code is now available for download! Just navigate to the "Tools" section and you'll find "iDOS BBS Source Code.zip". Make sure you read the note below about Maven 2.

Also, I have not taken the opportunity to separate the server's configuration into config files. So there are some hard-coded paths. Just keep in mind that you'll need to change them if you want to use the source.

Enjoy!

15. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    @ thewiirocks
    Point and click games like sam & max or leisure suit larry are great:D
    Im still having the unzipping problem i change the name and it downloads it but when i go to unzip the file it says it cant find it and i have tried every way of typing the file name to no anvil any ideas?

16. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #1356 thewiirocks, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Can you do a DIR on the directory, then attempt unzip, then take a screenshot? I'd like to see what's going on.

EDIT: Just to be sure, you are remembering to "cd DOWNLOAD" after you exit QModem, right? QModem sticks all the files in the DOWNLOAD directory by default, not in the main QMODEM directory.

17. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
  18. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Reaper1181:

It could also by airtrax.ZIP :) lots of dos stuff i've grabbed seems to have the file extension capitalised.

Or it could be what I think is a problem with iDos, i get the same thing sometimes. It seems to be when you try to unzip a file which isn't in the root directory (like your files are in Qmodem's download dir).. try moving the zip to c:\ and then go to the dir you want to unzip it into and "unzip c:\airtrax.zip" maybe..

19. Reaper1181

Reaper1181 Member

Oct 28, 2010
    #1359 Reaper1181, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for the advice will try nyarla.
    Edit: trying ZIP as opposed to zip didn't work

20. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Oh, sorry. I know what that is. Put simply, the built-in unzip sucks. Like, completely, totally, and utterly sucks. Absolutely useless POS.

You have to use the absolute path for the file. i.e. The following command will work:

Code:
    unzip c:\QMODEM\DOWNLOAD\AIRTRAX.ZIP
    However, there is a better way. Go download the InfoZip UnZIP program from the "Tools" area. It's an EXE, so you don't even have to dink around with the built-in unzip. Use the "unzip.exe" file to unzip things and it will get a lot easier.

I renamed unzip.exe to unz.exe and put it in my path. Now whenever I want to unzip something, I simply type "unz mything.zip". Works great. :)