iPad iDonkeyKong

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by parranoya, Apr 21, 2009.

1. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
  2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

3. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    I don't get this with Apple. They will reject all kinds of apps based on blood color or the dumbest reason. But if someone submits a complete copy of a game it gets put in the iTunes store why?

4. RawrReptar

RawrReptar Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    agreed even has the stolen mario symbol and dkong stuff...

5. Scott30

Scott30 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2009
    lol I was thinking the same thing with all the updates and releases that were rejected how does stuff like this get through? Apple is certainly a mystery.

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    (Usual rant - Evil bastards stealing blatantly from Nintendo, Apple is unbelievable in letting this crap in and banning decent games.)

I love the first screenshot tho, such awesome photoshop skills!

7. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

We have no idea that the game is even a copy of donkey kong for all we know it could open up then say "you are stupid for buying this" just like the OP is for posting this

8. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Terrible looking graphics in the screenshot. I thought this might be the SNES version but nope.

No way in heck I would get this.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Nope that doesn't happen lol :)

10. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I think you are all downplaying the features of this game!
    You can move the d-pad to suit the "morphology of your thumbs"

They get points simply for using the word "Morphology"!!!!

Still.... Looks like a very poor rip off of the original Donkey Kong

I would buy a real port of it....if it existed

11. peter2nvy

peter2nvy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    so this is accepted buy Tris gets taken off ...

12. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Well... Tris got accepted too, it was pulled after Apple received a complaint from the copyright holder. As will this game.

13. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy

I think this must depend on some details on the developers contracts. Maybe there is something that says that if you are violating some copyrights all the responsability falls on the the developer (it makes sense since copyright violations can be much more obscure than that), so apple allows the game and makes money out of it until nintendo complains, since they have nothing to lose.
    Instead they must have direct responsability on mature contents and things like that.

14. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I am TOFTTing. I have Tris and DuckHunt and Cu*Bert; so why not this? With the exception of that first screen shot, it looks like the exact same game I used to play back in the 80's (but in French for some reason.) I will come back with my impressions if there is anyone who has not immediately jumped to the conclusion that this game is evil and might want to know about gameplay.

15. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    NO SOUND!!!???!! They take the 10 seconds time to rip the graphics off, and they can't take 5 more seconds and rip the sound effects? Really kills the retro feel. Oh, and Mario jumps weird. And, as usual, I hate the touch screen controls - these seem even worse than usual as I'll Look at the damn button press it and still no movement.

Not that impressed. Oh well.

16. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It is enjoyable. Like Freegoo says; there is no sound. Hopefully that is addressed in an update before it is pulled. I don't really care for virtual D-pads at the best of times. The controls are not the worst I have encountered. I like the option to move the D-pad and jump button. That really makes a substantial ergonomic difference. There are a few graphical glitches here and there, but otherwise, it is Donkey Kong. I think I will keep this one on my phone for quite a while.

17. lordofbbq

lordofbbq Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It is no longer available in the US app store. Looks like Apple finally did something about it

18. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It is no longer in the Canadian store either. It is unfortunate that we didn't get an update before it was taken away. Oh well. *sigh, lament*