Universal Idle Realm (by Eat the Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eat the Moon, Aug 1, 2017.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Currently I have 3000 research points per sec. I CAN complete the game in 4 days if I research something. No spoiler though. It's one of the victory condition.

The other research takes less than 2 hours sometimes 4 depends on how high tier. And mind you I am.lagging behind building research facility.

Don't worry man it won't take days to do something.. The dev won't allow that lol.. But what he want to is torture yiur brain cells in coming out with strategy to place your buildings on a scarce land. ###

2. Eat the Moon

Eat the Moon Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Founder, Eat the Moon, LLC
    Washington, USA
    #82 Eat the Moon, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Version 1.2.1 of Idle Realm was approved and pushed live to the app store! I have noticed it popping up in various app store countries and have already downloaded it from the US store. I'll be monitoring the server load as players migrate between the old and new versions, and when I see enough traction, I'll switch all servers to 1.2.1 and require an update.

Please forgive me if I don't respond immediately in this thread for the next couple hours. If it's urgent, I'll respond, otherwise you'll have to wait :) Thanks everyone for your input! As usual, if you're liking the game, feel free to give it a rating. Since this is a new version, it will have zero ratings and I'll need to build them up again.

Here's the official "What's New!" text on the app store:

Thank you so much for playing Idle Realm! We made some quality of life changes to the game and fixed some bugs, so here's the rundown:

New stuff!

* Inventory screen redesign - Added some extra information to help you make informed decisions about your current production infrastructure

* Research screen now shows the last three items researched, when nothing is selected for researching, to help you remember what tech you were going for!

* Oh, and now the (!) badge on the Research menu only appears if you're not researching something!

* Options screen now lets you change the ambient nature sounds volume (it used to be tied to the music slider, but no more!)

* Like charging your device while playing in portrait mode? You can now rotate your device to upside down portrait mode to prevent your charging cable from getting crushed (or so we heard)!

* New confirmation dialog when you tap on the New Game button, to make sure you actually wanted to start a new game!

* The trading screen now takes into account how much storage space you have. This is good, because buying a million bricks and only being able to store half of that amount felt bad...

Bug Fixes:

* Various visual bugs have been fixed, like the Town Hall description in the build screen (it was inaccurate), the knowledge generation per second display on the research screen (it was confused), and the terrain around a newly built Town Hall sometimes not doing what it was supposed to do (show itself)!

* Other minor bugs that were noticed and squashed, but shouldn't have affected gameplay. They were just bugs. Squish.

* Found an area where the auto-save might not handle crashes very well. That code has been given elbow pads and a helmet.

3. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey dev!! I can't play the game!! It says update avaliable I went to store I can't update ###

4. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    I turned off update mode on the old servers. If you don't see the update in the app store yet, I guess the one that you connected to still has the old build. Try connecting to the game now. You should still be playing on the 1.2.0 build and, hopefully later tonight, your app store will have the 1.2.1 available to download.

5. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Yup working now? Why am I connected to old servers #

6. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    There are currently two versions of the game available: 1.2.0 and 1.2.1.

Since the app store propagates the update over time, sometimes up to 24 hours, I have to keep the old servers for 1.2.0 running and have the new 1.2.1 servers also running. Depending on what game version you are running on, you will connect to specific servers.

I told the 1.2.0 servers to force update, meaning that any 1.2.0 game that connects will be told to update to 1.2.1. I turned that feature off since some people can't download 1.2.0 yet.

Have you been able to download 1.2.1 off the app store yet? :)

7. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Production bonus doesn't seem to work on manufactured goods even though the max implies it should. This is unfortunate because waiting for manufactured goods seems to be my current roadblock.

8. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    This makes me sad. I just set up a test area and sure enough, the production boost is only affecting natural resource production and is ignoring the manufactured goods. The old Inventory UI made it really hard to notice that issue, but now it's pretty obvious. I am submitting a new build right now to address this, as it's a pretty major bug. Hopefully it can be turned around by Apple in the next 24-48 hours. Thanks for catching it!

9. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    #89 Cronk, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Glad to hear about the docks changes. I agree they need a revamp.

I'm spending too much time hoarding gold. It became another thing to manage (selling excess mats).

Love the new UI! I'll go rate the game too while I'm thinking about it... you've got a really cool little gem here! (Edit: glowing review left... if I edit it after a new update will it move it to the current version for you?)

10. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    #90 Eat the Moon, Aug 9, 2017
    Yeah, it's not fun. Docks 2.0 will be much better!

Thanks! I actually am already using it more than I thought I would. In one of my games, I thought I had leveled out all of my resource production but I was wrong and this helped me find the weak links. Granted, an extra 2K resources added to a 500K+ resources per second isn't a big increase, but it really bugged me to not have all the numbers equal :D

That is a really good question. It might? Guess when this emergency version pops out in the next 24-48 hours, we'll find out :)

I also added a version tag in the game in the options menu so hopefully, when new versions pop out, people can see the version on their screen and know if they have the latest or not. Since that was all I added to the game since the last update so far, that snuck into the emergency update as well.

And now I wait for Apple Review again... weee!

edit: I will say that pushing a new version of this game out is terrifying in general. I typically look forward to 1 day of crazy stress every 2 weeks ... twice in 2-3 days is going to be the end of me. Haha!

11. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Are we supposed to be guaranteed a relic per site? Or sometimes they will just have resources?

Not sure if it is a bug or not, since it just started happening since the update (but it could be just random chance too).

12. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Combat seems bugged. Even with a 100% chance of victory, when I push combat it kills all their troops and mine start repopulating, but it stays on the same screen. If I push combat again it takes me to the defeat screen.

It DOES clear the monster out but I can't get a reward for berating them.

13. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    The Ruins loot pool allows for dropping 2-4 items per Ruins. Inside the loot pool, the relic drop has a 50% chance, with a limit of 1. There is also a set amount of relics that can be dropped per game.

So, if you got a ton of relics so far from Ruins and enemy drops, you might have ran out of relics to find in this game and will need to start a new game to find more. The relics and relic collections are meant to drive you to starting new games as you unlock more winning conditions. Since the game just came out, I had to limit the amount of relic drops per game so you would have more reasons to replay and collect them. Once more features, achievements, challenges and events are added to the game, I can relax that restriction as there will be more things to do before you 100% the game.

14. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    #94 Eat the Moon, Aug 9, 2017
    Yup! You found a bug that was introduced pretty recently it seems. I just pulled the version from last night from Apple Review and submitted a new version with this fix as well. This also appears to clear out one of the mystery bugs that I see on my bug reporting that had no useful information.

With luck, this and the production boost not working on manufactured resource production will be the last of the emergency bugs. *crosses fingers*

Turns out I didn't notice this because I always use the pacify options on enemies :) That, apparently, works just fine.

15. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Yea I used pacify up until now. I wanted to see if there were relics for combat.

Thanks for being so on top of this! And don't worry... we all know that Bugs Happen. :)

16. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    So I just got a victory completion message for killing everything. Only one I can see on victory conditions.

Then I did another condition (guessed and it worked), but it gave me the victory message for killing all enemies again.

I have research about 30mins out but guessing it'll give me the same (error?) message again since I don't have that one "unlocked", per say.

Can we not get victory conditions unless they're unlocked via relics? Is that intended?

If it's intended that's fine but there should be more clarification about that when I get a victory condition that isn't unlocked.

17. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    That is another bug it appears. The game logic for checking if you have completed a winning condition requirement does not appear to be checking your winning condition unlock status properly and straight up rewards it if you did it. There should only be 3 winning conditions where this is possible, as the others require something that only unlocking the condition can give you.

When the victory condition is met and the dialog pops up, it will be populated with information related to that victory. In the case of your second condition that you met, the dialog did not recognize the victory condition (as it was not actually unlocked) and gave up, essentially, and showed what was on the dialog previously. You shouldn't have been able to see that dialog :(

Oh?
    You shouldn't be able to research something that finishes a winning condition, unless you actually unlocked that condition. What could you have been researching that makes you think you'll finish a condition? I'm actually quite curious! Hmmm... maybe you are about to finish researching your last upgrade?

This is something that I actually thought about during the creation of the victory conditions. On one hand, figuring one out that is still locked could be rewarding in itself, but how should I message that to the player? In your situation, you should have never seen the victory condition completed dialog for the condition you completed that was locked. If the game logic was handling it properly, you would have only be able to complete the one victory condition and that would have been it.

In the future, there will be challenges and achievements. Those systems will have clear explanations for what to do as well as hidden requirements. They won't let you end the game and get the end of game rewards, but they will provide extra things to try and do.

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Combat is a waste of resources. I wanted to build barracks but the hefty requirement to upgrade is not worth it.. Don't forget the rss they require are permanent while diplomacy is not. Not to mention the land they require to build barracks

19. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Rinoa, at end game it's infinitely easier to clear everything out with a big army than to bribe everyone. 20k+ troops refills stupid fast with t3 barracks, and they can kill everything. You just kill, rinse, and repeat.

EtM: on the research thing: yes, I cleared it all out. Didn't get a victory condition. Oddly, when I started the game over, it gave me two winning conditions (for the other one I guessed at but it didn't reveal it... I get why the game did this given your explanation on the bug that allowed me to get a second when I shouldn't have been able to, FYI.)

This is where the Internet kinda sucks. Because ideally if you could figure it out on your own, a victory condition should count IMO. Of course, a quick google search invalidates all of that once people spoil the conditions.

I'm going to do the forbidden (the dreaded double post), because I have some thoughts on why this is a bigger issue than normal, and possible long-term solutions for it. I don't feel bad offering these up since you seem to be the type to take suggestions with a grain of salt, and implement what you want with minimal apology.

More to come in a bit!

20. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Ok, so here's my interpretation of the "victory conditions" mechanic and why it might be causing issues:

You're using it as either a temporary endgame/replayability mechanic, or hoping to flesh it out more into a replay mechanic.

The problems are what I already talked about: ideally we should be rewarded for finding some on our own, which is negated by google searches. So the alternative is to lock victory conditions behind subsequent playthroughs, as you have now.

Which brings up the elephant: there's not a real reason (incentive) for replay in the game yet. The difference between this and traditional idlers is that there's another layer built on top, and every replay you can get a little further and get a bigger long-term reward.

I'm not sure how to build that onto a map system like you have. Maybe advanced maps? Maybe higher scaling? Hopefully you have some ideas on how to build a replay/reincarnation angle into the game, which I guess begs the question as to whether to work on building that in sooner or later. (I assume after the worst of the bugs are quashed?)

Or to use this game as a model and playtest for a future game.

Just some thoughts and feedback!