Universal Idle Realm (by Eat the Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eat the Moon, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Eat the Moon

Eat the Moon Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Founder, Eat the Moon, LLC
    Washington, USA
    Docks are placed on any water tile. No starting area will have water within your domain, so you will need to build a settlement elsewhere with some water within the domain radius of the new Town Hall.

The same goes for sand, which is also outside of your starting area. Hope that helps!

2. Tomaso4

Tomaso4 New Member

Aug 6, 2017
    No luck

That's what I had thought but no luck, when I go to place them it shows no spaces available on water in any of my 6 towns. Is there a difference between rivers and some other water?

3. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    So, that was my bad and I am embarrassed that it happened. I used to have river and ocean tiles in the game and the Dock could be built on either. Then I switched out those tiles for simply "water" and didn't update the Docks to look for that land type, which would have it default on Dirt.

I just pushed a live hot fix and the next time you start up the game, you'll be able to build Docks on water, like your 1 Citizen, 100.8k Food, 139k Planks, 166.8k Tools and 180.7k Ore intended! :eek:

4. Tomaso4

Tomaso4 New Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Awesome, keep up the great work you have a superb product here.

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I have a question how does building more than a dock affect anything? I can only trade it.. Does it trade more gold for each item with more docks?
    This is how dock was built for me

[​IMG]

6. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    You only need one Docks in your game, any extras will be a waste of resources currently. I am still determining the best way forward with the docks and will expand on the functionality of it in the future.

Also, sorry about the "dirt docks" ... you shouldn't be able to do that anymore as of this morning and it will require water :)

7. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    You should remove the option of building another one or disable it. I still can build another one as it shows in the option.

8. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Dev I have a question to ask.. I notice library and school both give rp. What's the difference? Why should I build school over library when library gives awesome rp. And there's no reason to co-exist?

9. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    The buildings that produce knowledge points in the game are currently in 4 tiers:

campfire (tier 0)
    school (tier 1)
    library (tier 2)
    research facility (tier 3)

Each tier is much better than the previous tier, but comes at a price. The building is more expensive to build, the upgrades are more expensive per level, and researching the next upgrade level is more difficult and will require more points.

Yes, the library is better than the school and, when you unlock the library, you will probably want to start getting rid of your schools and switching them for libraries. The same will be said for the research facility. However, it's best to keep the old stuff around to help with researching, unless you start running low on space.

I typically have level 3 schools and level 1 libraries for a while, diverting my resources to building production. Once I can start building more libraries, faster, I start switching over to libraries and getting rid of schools. It still costs less to use a level 3 school, which, while not as strong as a library, will still help.

10. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    OK that makes sense. However if u check library tier 1 is easier to research than tier 3 schools. And tier 1 library already dishing out 100 rp. What's the rp given by tier 3 schools? By the time u research tier 3 schools u wouldn't have any more schools as they are replaced by library.
    The flow doesn't seem quite right.

11. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

Ok I just tried to play this game but it just shows a loading screen and plays bird sounds?

12. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    Here's a breakdown of some stuff:

School Level 3: 60 Knowledge Points
    Library Level 1: 100 Knowledge Points
    School Level 3 is 60% of the Library Level 1.

School Costs:

Level 1
    Bricks: 5,100
    Planks: 6,800

Upgrade to Level 2
    Metal: 29,240
    Planks: 36,550

Upgrade to Level 3
    Paper: 30,700
    Glass: 42,980
    Metal: 52,190

Required resources to get to Level 3:
    Bricks: 5,100
    Planks: 43,350 (6,800 + 36,550)
    Metal: 81,390 (29,200 + 52,190)
    Paper: 30,700
    Glass: 42,980

Required natural resources to get to Level 3 (breaking down everything into natural resource requirements)
    Clay: 5,100 [from Bricks]
    Wood: 74,050 (43,350 [from Planks] + 30,700 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper])
    Ore: 124,370 (42,980 [from Glass] + 81,390 [from Metal])
    Grass: 61,400 (30,700 [from Paper] + 30,700 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper])
    Stone: 30,700 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper]
    Sand: 42,980 [from Glass]

TOTAL: 338,600

Required resources to build Library Level 1
    Paper: 73,500
    Planks: 73,500
    Bricks: 91,875
    Stone: 110,250

Required natural resources to get Library Level 1 (breaking down everything into natural resource requirements)
    Clay: 91,875 [from Bricks]
    Wood: 147,000 (73,500 [from Planks] + 73,500 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper])
    Grass: 147,000 (73,500 [from Paper] + 73,500 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper])
    Stone: 183,750 (110,250 + 73,500 [from Lye, which is needed for the paper])

TOTAL: 569,625

School Level 3 cost: 338,600
    Library Level 1 cost: 569,625
    School Level 3 is 59.4% of the Library Level 1.

In the end, they are very similar when it is broken down to the pure natural resources required to build them. By the time you have Library Level 1, you probably already sunk resources into several Schools, so pushing them to Level 3 will still yield a great benefit. Also of note, while the Library uses less types of natural resources, it uses MORE of them. This will require you to have more warehouses and more production going on those natural resources, whereas School Level 3 will require more types of natural resources, but uses LESS of them, which is ideal for those who haven't built a ton of storage infrastructure and are spreading out their natural resource production.

Also, as you said, the cost of researching these upgrades is pretty drastic.

School Level 1, 2, and 3 requires a combined 6,714,000 knowledge (or just 558,000 up to level 2)
    Library Level 1 requires only 756,000 knowledge.

School Level 3, however, is a prerequisite for the Metalworks Level 3 and Paper Factory Level 3 upgrades. Also, Metalworks Level 2 and Paper Factory Level 2 are already in the same cost area as School Level 3 (They roughly 1,000,000 points apart), so the time it takes to research those is about the same as School Level 3. It might seem silly, especially since by the time you enter that area of the game, you're going to probably be using Libraries everywhere.

The tech tree for this game is pretty crazy. I might post a picture of it one day :) It's a nifty flowchart, that's for sure.

13. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    Did you see a downloading files area appear at the bottom of the loading screen when you launched it for the first time? Did it start working for you after you closed the app and came back? I think, if the file download never started or finished, you wouldn't have been able to ping my server and start a game. I checked my server logs and it looks like every new player that started an hour before your post was able to make progress in the game, so I'm guessing it was a file download issue.

Also, are you using wifi or connecting via cellular only? Are you on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Let me know if you have been able to start the game. Thanks!

14. bsabiston

WiFi. I think it did say it was loading files. I didn't see an error or anything though. I tried killing the process, and I tried restarting the phone. I guess I'll try deleting the app and downloading again.

Okay, just did that. It says loading files and goes quickly to 100%, but nothing happens...? I'm on an iPhone 7 with the most recent OS update.

15. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    I just tried to create the scenario of a new player on two devices and everything worked as expected and the game started. I assume that you have more than 512 megs free on your device for storage (I don't remember where at what point the storage system fails when it comes to saving files on the device at this moment).

Maybe you have some device logs that might explain the issue. I'm dead tired and need some sleep, but I'll be happy to continue this conversation in the morning, either via the forum, with an PM, or you can hit up my support email on my website. I'm happy with whatever you choose :)

Sorry that I couldn't tease out the cause at the moment :(

16. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I cant believe the depth behind this "clicker" game. It's crazy, # and I for one absolutely love it. This has really been a surprisingly enjoyable game for me.

I could only imagine what sort of game you guys could produce if you devoted your time to a premium strategy game!
    Also the graphics in this are great and well presented, as is the interface.
    Hopefully this game gets a lot of attention.

ps....would love to see that tech tree one day. #

17. bsabiston

Hey -- just tried it this morning and it started right up! ???

That was weird. I don't know what was going on with it last night. Well, thanks for the fast response!

18. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    Odd indeed. Well, I'm glad it's working now!

I'm pouring over the file download code and seeing if I can make it more bulletproof, in case a file download gets corrupted or there is an error while downloading. While I have error checking, file checking, and corruption detection already in place, I'm going to explore some other techniques to help the process out and run more tests to make sure that my code is still working.

I'm also double-checking the game startup flow to see if anything might have happened. Typically, if an error occurs due to server issues or download issues, a popup dialog will appear on the loading screen. There is a chance that, depending on how far down the startup flow you got, the dialog popped up but it was behind the loading screen, so I'll be checking that as well.

19. Eat the Moon

Jul 29, 2017
    Washington, USA
    #59 Eat the Moon, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Hey all!

I've been busy the past few days working on an update to the game. This first update is primarily bug fixes and a few Quality of Life changes. The internal testing is just about done, so I'm preparing to send the app update to Apple and begin my external testing. Then, once Apple approves the update and the external testing signs off, I'll be pushing the update live!

Once this update it out, I'll be going back to work on feature planning, design and preparation for Idle Realm. Once enough of the new feature set has been vetted and designed, I'll provide more information of what to expect in the next major update!

Here's a peak at what's new, changed, and fixed:

New Stuff!

* Inventory Screen - Redesigned screen to provide more information! Max resource counts have been moved to the top of the list and are no longer a part of the resource count itself. Natural and Manufactured resources are now separated, with Manufactured resources also showing what resources are required in order to make them. The Net output column shows how many of the current resource was actually produced or consumed that second, whereas the Max output column shows the maximum output you can have for that resource. The Max column will help you understand if you have enough buildings to produce what you need.

* Research Screen - Research History now shown on research screen when nothing is being researched, with most recent at the bottom of the list.

* Research Screen - The (!) badge on the Research menu button now only shows if you do not have anything being researched.

* Options Screen - Volume slider added for the ambient nature sounds

* Options Screen - Added confirmation dialog when tapping the New Game button in the options screen, to prevent accidental restarts.

* General - Improved the auto-save functionality to be more robust and less prone to corruption.

* General - The game can now be rotated to play in upside down portrait mode, allowing you to charge your device more easily while playing.

Fixes!

* Gameplay - Fixed an issue where starting a new game wouldn't clear out the current item being researched.

* Visual - Fixed an issue where the knowledge per second display on the Research screen would often not show the effect of the Research Boost. Rest assured, the boost effect was always applied properly, but the number shown was incorrect.

* Visual - Fixed an issue where opening a loot box and receiving a new resource while on the Inventory screen wouldn't update the contents of the resource list until closing and opening the Inventory screen

* Visual - Fixed an issue where building a Town Hall on the map, with unexplored territory within the sight radius of the Town Hall, would show odd graphical glitches in the area until scouting around near the Town Hall or restarting the game.

* Visual - Fixed an issue where the building description for the Town Hall on the Build screen showed an incorrect number for the domain radius.

* Visual - Fixed an issue where the (!) badge on the Shop icon would keep appearing every session restart. This badge should only show if you haven't viewed the store since a new limited time bundle has appeared.

Upcoming_InventoryResourceRevamp.png
    Upcoming_NatureVolume.png
    Upcoming_NewGameConfirm.png
    Upcoming_ResearchHistory.png

20. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Awesome work, and great game!

Quick request: can you change the functionality around trade sliders?

When you're trying to buy it is based off the gold you have and not the max storage, so it's REALLY hard to select smaller increments. The more gold you acquire the harder it gets.

Ideally it should be based off of max storage and not gold.