Idevices have a great rpg selection imo

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Oct 14, 2010.

1. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Learn to read. That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact I said absolutely nothing about casual, what I talked about was time from starting up the game to playing. If you get your gameplay in during short breaks of 5-10 minutes you can't afford to have the 2 hour tutorial interrupted 5 times.

2. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Rimelands is developed by Crescent Moon Games... Josh definitely isn't a female, don't know about the rest of the team.

3. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I think the iOS market is just finally ready to take on more in-depth games that normally are only reserved for devices like the Xbox 360, PSP, DS, etc. You can only make so many casual rpg's or those that cater to the idea that the iPhone/iPod Touch devices are only meant to have games that can be played in short few minute bursts.

The people are ready, the market has matured -- give us more polished and in-depth gaming experiences already.

4. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    That reminds me, gameloft seriously needs to make a fallout game.

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Oh God! Anyone but Gameloft. Please!

I guess I'll have some more on-topic comments here tomorrow, when I'm not tired as hell.

6. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    No thanks, I'm content with GameLoft just sticking to making decent knockoffs.

7. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I'd venture a guess that whoever did the story is. The main character, main support character and one of the two main villains I've come across so far are female. There isn't a big deal made of it, so I'd suspect that the story was written by someone who defaults to female characters, and such a person is probably a woman.

8. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    That will happen with time, a lot of the devs are new developers who never made games before. They're still learning the ropes - as they make more games they'll get more experience and new games will get produced quicker and with more polish.

9. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    You're right, I probably read into your comment too much. My point was quite simply that just because often I only have 5-10 minutes to play, doesn't mean I only ever have 5 minutes to play. And if you sacrifice every games depth just so it's playable in 5 minute chunks whenever I have more than five minutes, I'll lose a lot of depth.

10. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010

Then you must be a wii fan with all the Mario partys, wii sports, rayman raving rabbits and all. What's more casual playing on wii or iPad?

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The wii is better for casual games IMO because of all the mini game packs and the controller being so unresponsive without the motion plus.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Most gamers disagree, hence why crappy wii mini games outsold both ps3 and 360 games till recently and even intends own main series games (heck miyamoto even made a music mini game called wii music) and hence why psp never took off due to the games being so much at the outset despite higher quality and longer than ds.

13. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I wonder what the DS is doing in this post, DS games price isn't cheap and comparing DS RPG selection to PSP RPG selection is a very surprising, I suppose it's from a PSP fan otherwise any other RPG fan know it's better have a DS than a PSP for playing RPG. You should really play many DS RPG if you intend continue comment them again and again, at least you would know that they are often long enough.

For me it's hugely better to have 2 great games than 10-20 mediocre ones as I never play much long mediocre games. But mini game doesn't mean mediocre game.

14. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    I agree with everyone about needing more sci-fi/modern RPGs. I personally am getting really tired of the fantasy RPG cliche story, gameplay, and items that are the same in every game and am ready to have something that even comes close to a Fallout or Mass Effect feel on the iPhone. I'm not even a big fan of console fantasy RPGs but if it's as good as something like Dragon Age or Oblivion then I don't mind playing. Give us something that has a real story, the opportunity to have dialogue choices that determine the outcome of the game, and something that we haven't seen a thousand times before.

15. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I love the selection of RPGs for the iPhone, currently I have installed:

The Quest
    Undercroft
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Chaos Rings
    Rimelands
    Corporate Fury
    Zenonia
    Zenonia 2
    Across Age
    Wolfenstein RPG
    Doom II RPG
    Dink Smallwood

I enjoy each one of them fully - although there are minor negativities in each title, they are games after all and I have yet to play a perfect game on any console (excluding Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games). :p

With Aralon on the way too there looks to be another division of the genre realizing for the idevice platform.

I agree I wish there were more Sci-Fi or Cyberpunk titles in the library - a System Shock 2, Deus Ex, or Star Wars KOTOR knockoff would be awesome (as long as it was as fully realized as any of the above). But fantasy has always been more popular - at least with everyone I know.

Personally I would love to see a more reality/fantasy-based-reality take on the RPG - like GTA: San Andreas or a port of Earthbound.

16. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The thing is, Fantasy and RPG have been dating for many years so its hard to break a relationship like that and let someone else have a chance. (Science Fiction/modern). :rolleyes:

Modern/Sci-fi stories can hold an extreme amount of potential its surprising nobody is tapping into it.

17. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Fallout 3 and the Mass Effect series are perfect examples of this. Those are three of my all time favorite games and are incredibly successful and yet we don't see more like them from other developers.

18. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I just want FF7,8 and 9 and I'm happy.

Maybe Elder Scrolls too and KoToR lol.

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    You don't see them on the psp or ds either though. In fact unlike xenome the ds or psp doesn't even gave an open world or sandbox rpg. Does it? So how are those two device rpg selections any better? They just have a bunch of Japanese games and ds has big square support without which it would be just as bad as the psp. Oh wow fire emblem. Whoopidyoooo.

20. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

True, but I wasn't talking about other gamers. And most rpg's on the idevices are crap, or ports from other platforms. There's damn few original rpg's on it. I'll stick to my ds/xbox/ps2 for original content.