iDevBlogADay

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Intruder_qcc, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Hello folks,

Well for the people that aren't on twitter, they have been some interesting thing going on since about 2 weeks now. Which all started after some innocent discussions between 2 developers (@mysterycoconut and @chrismwaite) :D that resulted in the creation of iDevBlogADay.

You might wonder what is all about, well here is how @mysterycoconut has so elegantly describe it.

iDevBlogADay is a group of indie developers that want to blog more regularly. Each day of the week is assigned to 2 people. Each person writes in his own blog about whatever he wants. Then they tweet about it with the #iDevBlogADay hash tag. If a person doesn’t blog during his assigned day, his spot is given to a different developer. If you are an indie developer and you want to participate, ask @mysterycoconut to be included in the waiting list.

You can either visit the main site, check developer web site individually to read those blogs or subscribe to the main RSS feeds and get your daily dose of indie dev blogging :p.

And if you are a developer with a blog, well you can try and get on the waiting list (which seems to be growing every day, maybe we will need to setup another group ;)).

2. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    This is a great idea, and I really enjoyed some of the blog entries. :D

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    This is a really good idea.

I'm not sure I could come up with a topic that I could write about. I'll be meeting with a couple developers tomorrow, maybe that will give me some ideas.

4. @Flickitty actually the deadline helps focus things quite nicely. So far I've found it much easier to write articles because I have to. Otherwise it's too easy to think 'later' or 'not good enough'.

I'm enjoying the range of articles we're getting so far, it'll be interesting to see how well we can keep things going.

5. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    It seems like there are a TON of developers(including myself) who just need some motivation to start blogging. This is the perfect thing for that. I guess the only problem is that there are already more devs on the waiting list than actually blogging :) Perhaps there should be 3 or 4 a day, or is that too much? I know after reading a couple blog posts, I always wish there were more for that day.

6. MysteryCoconut

MysteryCoconut Active Member

@ElectricGrandpa the main problem with more developers a day is one of resources. I am managing the list, and although I have in place a semi-automatic system it still sucks lots of my time. I am first a developer, and I think committing to blogging helps with motivation on working on my projects more (so I can write about it!). But the day only has that many usable hours. So for now, I can keep up with 2 devs a day. Maybe when the site is completely automated we add a 3rd person per day. Don't let the size of the waiting list scare you. People will eventually cycle, and is good to be there sooner rather than later if you really want to participate.

7. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    This is such a great thing for developers! I always used to spend time looking through twitter and googling around to find good blogs to read. This is PERFECT :) Every article is an interesting read! I hope there will be enough developers to keep it going with 2/day! Thanks again for such an awesome resource!

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Very cool stuff, I wouldn't mind getting on the list

9. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Ah ok, I wasn't sure how manual it was, now I understand :) I think what you're doing with the links to the waiting list member blogs is already much better. Thanks for all your hard work on this, it really is awesome. It's the first place I check for new iPhone blog posts now.