iPad Idea# 2 for iPhone game: Virtua On!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Feb 26, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Remember this great game from the Sega Arcade/ Saturn? I think an iclone game would work out well for two reasons.

1) Its style of graphics have been done before (ExZeus).
    2) More importantly, its controls and playability would handle well on the iphone (unlike ExZeus). If you remember, instead of constantly turning around to face your opponent, playability occurs in spurts; camera is locked facing your opponent even when dashing sideways and launching attacks. On the iphone this means you can play a 3D fighting game without worrying about the camera! Only buttons you need are dash, attack, and special attack, with maybe an iDracula style wheel for movement.

What do you think?

2. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Could be cool.

Although most of the fun of Virtual On was the dual joystick controls, something that wouldn't be as nice on the iphone. I played it on Dreamcast and it just wasn't the same without the arcade cabinet. Awesome game though, fond memories.

3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I used to lose hours at a time at the local arcade center playing Virtual On, it's an amazing game on an arcade machine.

Also have it for the Sega Dreamcast, it is nice, but loses a lot of its feeling on a controller.

I imagine it being even worse on the iDevice, but it would be nice to see.

Striker (YouTube video) looks great too, very reminiscent of VOOT. ^ ^

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'd rather Panzer Dragoon or REZ out of Sega before they try to do something like Virtual On. Or a real Shining Force game (turn based strategy RPG like the older Genesis games). Or an iTouch/Phone exclusive Comix Zone. Crazy Taxi. Shinobi. Phantasy Star.

Man...there are so many IPs Sega could leverage on any platform, let alone iTouch/Phone.

Chances are, though, what we'll most likely see from Sega is a Sonic game.

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow that actually looks pretty dead on what I was talking about - even the select screen. Now all there needs to see is how the gameplay feels.

6. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Heheh I remember that game in the Arcade, it was certainly awesome. I've always wanted to work on a Mech game, but I'm all booked up now :)

7. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    That would easily be my #1 vote of what I'd like to see. Something similar to Shining Force II, CD, or SoH would be ideal, but even the original would be great. ^ ^