Universal Icycle: On Thin Ice By Chillingo Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I don't think so, no.

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #102 mr_bez, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    Have unlocked it, but not completed it yet. Not sure if there's something weird with the leaderboards? When I try to view the leaderboards in GC it says No Leaderboards.

Finished the last mission 3 ice cubes short of the last item to purchase. Can't believe I'm going to have to grind if I want to unlock that extra spare wheel!

(That was sarcasm, obviously. I feel like the rate of unlocks is pretty well balanced. More like Ridiculous Fishing, where the prices are set to spread out the unlocks, than a grindfest designed to make you spend more money. Just ignore the fact that IAPs exist and you'll get on just fine.)

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

The rate of unlocks is fine, I will agree completely. It's very fair and there doesn't seem to be a need TO pay for IAP...

That said, I feel the UI design has issues. It's not nearly the worst I've seen, but it should be so much better than it is.

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I can definitely imagine that the menus work a lot better on iPad. There are a lot of very small buttons on iPhone, which has been a problem for my fat fingers once or twice.

I just hope it doesn't put you off continuing - it's definitely worth seeing through to the end.

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Completed now. Leaderboard definitely doesn't work. I appear as 1 of 1 too.

Also, as far as I can tell, you can't restart the original game - you have to complete it before you can start afresh. Patrick - any chance of a restart button in this?

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Without going into the whole thing about why it might be appropriate for some games to have infinite continues and not so appropriate for others, or explaining why there are many more variables involved in making the above call with the aim of achieving optimal player experience irrespective of whether a game is old school or modern, I'll just state the following: the ethos behind those old school games was never affected by IAP as part of the design process. I know this because those games did not contain any IAP.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lol I do like the way you can bring an anti IAP rant into any topic even if it's got nothing to do with IAP. Keep on fighting the establishment Gabrien :D

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... I was able to snag this one this morning...

Right now, I'm only on Stage 9, with 20 challenges completed, but I am blown away by the atmosphere and the way the levels move and rearrange around your character. It's very easy to see that this came from the same Devs as Wonderput. I'm really hoping Icycle gets loads of attention so that we can see what other crazy ideas the Damp Gnat dev team are kicking around.

I know it's early, but this has a very good chance of winding up on my GOTY list. It really is just a blast to play... Experience ...

Whatever... I love it.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I also remember a time when a budget game cost £10 and would contain less content than this.

10. archagon

archagon Member

Feb 4, 2012
    This game is a visual delight. One of the best things I've seen on the App Store in ages!

11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    72/80 challenges; really don't want this wonderful game to end.

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Helloooooo............ :D

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So this game is good?

14. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I insta bought'd this on release and just now played it. Wow. Fresh, in your face, and no picnic either. I have a feeling I will be buying whatever this guy makes.

This is also the best platformer out for iOS in a long time, on top of being the coolest.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's bad. Coz it makes other games, including some of your favorites, look bad.

16. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    "Coolest"

Nice. :)

17. Patrick@Chillingo

Patrick@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi, thanks for flagging up the spare wheel issue. You're right, it's not supposed to work like that. You're supposed to tap the spare wheel button to get a spare wheel, not tap anywhere on the screen. I've had a chat with the game's producer and we'll get it fixed as soon as possible. Apologies for any ice cubes that you've accidentally spent, and I hope you're still enjoying playing the game.

18. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I don't regret buying it, it's so funny! I especially like the atmosphere, the sounds, the music... It looks like a monthy python game :)

Thanks a lot, a thanks for the price!

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Not my favorites )':

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    That was the first thing I thought of as well! Perhaps Terry Gilliam is secretly working for them...