Universal Icycle: On Thin Ice By Chillingo Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Nov 26, 2013.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I'm a little unhappy with this game.

Somehow after obtaining the vac, I lost 150 ice cubes for nothing , I was trying to save up and swap my bike, but nope. Gone. It's terrible for the customers to just have to tap twice to break an item open, it is just too damn easy.

But that's NOTHING in comparison to the stupidity of the "spare wheel". Without realizing it, I lost all my cubes by inadvertently tapping the screen to skip ( there was no heads up as tk what was happening or that there were "lives").

While I hate it in temple run, at least you have to tap right on the gem, here me trying to skip the wheel by tapping where the jump button was simply drained me of all the cubes I'd earned.

I hate it when games I've been waiting on for eons end up having these nasty, disgusting freemium paytoplay elements slipped in.

Would it be SO hard to add confirmations before throwing away cubes? There should be confirmations for the spare wheel and confirmations before you accidentally buy anything in the ice box.

Wonderputt was perfection. It's a game I would have spent $5 on. This, the same, but these elements and these "tricks" that end up potentially having us spend the cubes without explicitly wanting to need to be fixed. I was going to buy IAP to support the developer, who has made what could be the best platform/puzzler in a very long time into something much less amazing.

These are my opinions, I know I can be impatient , so that's on me, but if I'm tapping on the corner to try and get back in, freaking warn me. And make the items in the ice box just a bit harder to buy, PLEASE?

It's funny, my first thought was to come on here and praise the design and ESPECIALLY the intro, which I won't spoil for anyone... Yet the thing that gets in my way is sketchy design that was either made to get us to waste our earned "currency" or was simply ignored without any input of testers saying "Hey, it's a bit too easy to unintentionally do this.."

2. andsoitgoes

I'm sorry, but I feel he has a point.

Now, I do think very skilled gamers won't have a problem, just as there are those who can blast though 500 levels of CCS, but it's a challenging game even at the start.

The limited continues, the overwhelming simplicity to waste away ice cubes by either intentionally or ignored UI design flaws do not fill me with warm, happy thoughts.

Had I not blasted through all my cubes by either unintentionally "continuing" or by unintentionally buying items from the ice chest, I might not be as upset. Again, maybe others aren't having the same issue, but these are problems I have less in FREEMIUM games. I shouldn't ever run into accidental purchases in any game this easily.

3. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    This game isn't freemium guess what. I have every single item in the game and completed all the objectives in ONE day. I am usually not that good at video games either so don't say "oh you are just skilled".

The spare wheel thing is a little bothersome just tap the buttons in the corner the restart and pause buttons and that fixes the problem COMPLETELY.

The tap twice to unlock is fine with me I've accidentally unlocked a hat once but it learned from it. If you seriosly can't control tapping twice then I can't help you.

Great game 10/10 I unlocked everything now to do the dreams...

4. Patrick@Chillingo

Patrick@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Definitely! We're looking to have some new content out in the new year.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This is awesome news! This game shot up the AppStore charts like a rocket...and deservedly so :)

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Yes, it was apples #1 feature under hot new games.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Why are people complaining about limited continues? What kind of noob gamers is the world making these days:confused: back when I started playing you were lucky if you had more than one life before you saw the game over screen, then we moved on to games having 3 life's as some kind of standard and now people want infinite life's :confused:
    Games are already far to easy these days,
    If a games to hard and you want to see I through I'd suggest youtube will be your friend.
    -Rant over-
    Wow I think I've realised I'm truly old when I'm ranting about how it was harder when I was younger :eek:
    Look what you have done to me TA community you've made me feel old :p

Well back on track here I'm loving the game and the craziness of the levels, it's trials and error and memory when you get to the later levels but that's fine by me.

8. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    This is the first thing that's came out that's truly made me consider updating OS.
    Ill be getting a new iPad soonish...hmm.

How good is this?

Is it GOTY category good?

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well it's deffinetly gotw for me, I'd describe it as one of those arty type games that you'll remember for a while, :D
    Kind of like the room, or a simogo game something like that.

(I'm holding out for space hulk being my goty) hopefully.

10. Patrick@Chillingo

Patrick@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Just a heads up for anyone who might have missed it, you can unlock the original Icycle flash game by completing all 80 of the challenges in Icycle: On Thin Ice. I haven't seen anyone mention this in the thread so I just wanted to flag it up and give you guys something to aim for.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm certainly looking forward to it, great idea, btw :)

12. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Looks like I'm the only player on GC right now. Are there more than 260 bubbles? I feel like I get every bubble on Level 6, but it shows as 98%.

13. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Any chance the next update may bring iOS5.0 or 6.0 and up compatibility?

14. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Is the leaderboard for the unlockable game?

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im playing on iOS6.1.2... Does this not work on yours?

Unless you're on 5.x maybe which im not sure the game supports.

16. andsoitgoes

Wow. Listen, I know this is fine for you all, but it's not for me. I have valid points, and just because you don't feel the same does not mean that my experience and frustration should be ignored.

It's not too hard for you, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating for others. Monkey, I'm pretty sure we are very close in age , and I remember "hard games" from my past. I've played and beaten Mega man, and many of the other "hard as nails" games. But I'm not a kid anymore, and games that are hard for being hard are fine for some, and I know this isn't Demon souls, but come on, the temple run style "pay a premium currency to keep playing!" should have been something that was at least explained. And tapping anywhere to waste cubes is simply either bad design, or "good" design for games intent on TRYING to ensure you use up that currency and have to consider buying more.

That said, I don't have a problem with limited continues, but the game doesn't explain it, nor does it make it clear about the use of the spare wheel and the fact that tapping ANYWHERE used your cubes. Why not put a safeguard in place? It's simple, and unless the game is trying to get us to throw away the currency, implementing that UI change would prevent the wasting of cubes, simple as that.

As for my gaming skill and yours, B3N, just because it's fine for you does not automatically make my point, my issues, and my feelings "wrong", it just makes it different from you. It's like trying to tell someone they're wrong because they don't like a critically acclaimed movie or tv show, just because everyone likes it doesn't mean you NOT liking it is wrong.

The fact that I lost cubes unintentionally just shouldn't happen. You should accidentally waste money... Ever. These "accidents" are preventable by a popup. The ease to unlock something without real confirmation again is either poor design or design that is intended to, again, get us to spend the in game currency.

Again, just because there are people who love the game as it is does not make the opinions of those that have issues automatically invalid.

I also do not think the game IS freemium at this point, what I was saying is that the game has elements that make it FEEL freemium. One of the biggest bones of contention in those games is UI design that makes it too easy to accidentally spend your in game premium currency.

Is it so much to ask for confirmation on tapping and breaking the ice to unlock something? I have no clue how it happened, but I know it was far too easy to throw away the 150 cubes I had earned and wanted to put towards a new bike. It needn't happen with one tiny change, and would anyone be so terribly put out if that was implemented?

I swear, this whole snarky attitude on the Internet needs to go suck it. Why can't we express and discuss without crapping on opinions and feelings about something?

Again, I'm glad many aren't having problems, but I feel the issues are easily fixed and they would not hamper the experience for those who feel it's not necessary. A confirmation to unlock and a specific hit spot for the extra continues, those are my ONLY issues. That's it.

Can you please take a look at my post? I believe some of the issues I have are valid.

17. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm 6.0.X
    Requires 6.1 and newer

18. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Ok then sorry :( it's far to easy to jump on the insults online without even thinking,
    I just never really consider difficulty in a game as a bad thing, usually if a game is hard it either makes me try harder to do it and feel like I've accomplished something, although I do like jumping straight into hard or harder setting in a game ;)
    I'll make my New Years resolution this year to try and insult people less online :D

19. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    There's a fine line. I love a hard game, but the game needs to reward the player instead of just making them feel punished. Also, the difficulty should be a gradually increase.

That's a very delicate balancing act that few games archive perfectly

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aw... that's too bad. No way to update to 6.1.X is there?