Universal Icycle: On Thin Ice By Chillingo Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Patrick@Chillingo

Patrick@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi everyone! It's great to see you're all loving the game as much as we do. If there's anything you want to know about Icycle, ask away! I'll be popping in here throughout the day and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well so far so good, love the graphics, love the surreal bizarre 'levels', its like a Monty Python type of sketch !

But yeah its annoying seeing those 'bubble ads', i wondered what they were at first as the graphics in the bubbles were totally different from that of the game.

Yet to get to the later levels where i hope its not a push to get IAPs. Wish the bubble adverts would go

Apart from that its a great great looking game and something just different looking from most of the games out there. A great pickup for 69p

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    What's the installed size on an iPhone?

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    51,5mb

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #45 oooooomonkey, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    After playing some more of this this morning I'm really loving the game, the art is great, controls and physics are sweet.
    The only negative I can say is that the bubble ad in the bottom left corner is really off putting, really takes away from the art aspect. I haven't been to an art gallery in a while but I don't remember seeing and ads in the corner of paintings for coke or sweets :confused:
    If there was an IAP to remove it I would pay straight away as the game is brilliant apart from that one thing.

Edit- the art really reminds me of simogo a bumpy road.
    I'm liking the fact the levels are quite hard but short and have some replay ability.

6. Nice impression, just for this, I will pick it up for 69p.

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hahaha you always find something to complain about. Dude, you have a problem :p

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would actually say dont watch much of Sanukus video (Sorry Sanuku !)

As even the first couple of levels you may think 'arrrgh about to be squashed or killed' and then another bit opens for you to go into etc. Its very cool

9. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    So how long is the game and how bad are the ads? Why are they there to begin with? It's a paid app.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I just saw them (bubbles) when i had finished a level, didnt even know what they were until i pressed one then realised it was an ad.

It doesnt mess up the game or get in the way, just me being a bit picky as i've paid for the game. But to be fair it doesnt really get in the way

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Considering there are a lot of missions for each stage, the game will take quite a while to finish. The ads are the usual Chillingo bubbles. If you havent noticed them in any of your Chillingo games when playing them, chances are, the ones here wont bother you either. They are not showing up in the actual game, only on the menus.

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    This is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the greatest games I've had the pleasure of playing in recent times. I love the aesthetic, which is a love letter to classic 1960s movies title sequences by the likes of Maurice Binder and Saul Bass, and the actual gameplay holds up pretty nicely, rather than just feeling like an afterthought.

An example of Binder's work, Surprise Package:

For those concerned about a potential push towards IAP, don't be, because it's an entirely baseless fear. I only meant to try the game and get back to other things I should have been doing, but ended up playing through the entire story and quite a few of the challenges. I didn't buy anything at all during my initial playthrough, and after finishing the game and a handful of the challenges, I had enough ice (the in-game currency) to buy the doubler. From that point onwards, each challenge completed left me with enough ice to buy any item(s) required for the next challenge on my list.

13. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    6.1 required.
    :-(
    Just missed it.
    This game looks good enough to update to iOS 7.

I may try to go to 6.1

14. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Eh, .99ยข, 27mb... why not.

It's simply amazing so far. I recommend NOT watching the gameplay video. It ruins the fun.
    Yes, the ad bubble is there but isn't really in your face. Still though, it's a bit jarring when you slap it on top of this gorgeous game. It's ugly and unnecessary.

15. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Played through the first 8 levels and am enjoying it quite a bit.
    I adore the "dream"area room the coffee dream level is really fun.
    It's a shame they didn't include an endless mode, similar to the coffee level.
    I do fear the game will be over too soon, though collecting all the stars through the different objectives will surely take a while..
    I've accidentally purchased clothes more than once, thankfully the clothes I purchased were needed to unlock the dreams, so it wasn't too bad.

I love this abstract sort of vibe, mixed with the retro graphics, haven't played a game that gave me this sort of a feeling since "bumpy road".
    I wonder if the developers were a teensy bit inspired by bumpy road?

It's gorgeous nonetheless.

Restored my faith in chillingo. Before this game, I have t enjoyed a chillingo game since around the phase of contre jour/feed me oil.

The progression of collecting all stars is pretty much based on upgrades.. You need to upgrade your umbrella, vacuum, and bike and whatnot to develop your skills, like floating longer after uograding your umbrella, which is needed to collect all the ice cubes in some levels.

Once you collect all the stars you unlock more content, or you unlock that content with IAP.

The other IAP include packs of ice cubes, which is the currency you collect along the way. You do not NEED to pay for ice cubes with real money, you can collect an unlimited amount by replaying levels. So the IAP scheme isn't too heinous.

16. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Have played about 8 levels this morning and I'm also loving it, it's very pretty to look at, so far playing through the first challenges has been easyish but now the difficulty level has ranked up, and it's harder than it looks the controls work really well and I love how the blend away in the background. Other than contre jour this is my fave chillingo title.

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I played the first 5 levels, completing 15/20 challenges. I'm enjoying the game; the attention to detail is impressive. I wish I could play the developer's other iOS game Wonderputt alas that one is iPad only.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i would love to be universal, Wonderputt is a superb game

But this has been the game of the week so far for me, just really enjoying it, nice controls, just surreal levels, low filesize, all good !

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice this got editors choice here in the uk.

Attached Files:

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well deserved! Easily my favorite game of the week so far (and, as mentioned earlier, a possible GoTY nomination).