iControlPad finally in production

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mindfield, Aug 26, 2010.

1. So there it is. Finally, after how long? The iControlPad is entering production. Only 3000 units are being produced to start, which are expected to go quickly, and no word yet on what games support it, but we could finally have tactile controls on the iPhone like a real game system.

Of course, the down side is that it's a bit on the fugly side and rather bulky. Still, four main buttons, two shoulder buttons (kinda), two analog pads and a digital D-pad. I could get behind this. Anyone planning on getting one when they go up for sale?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Those ribbed edges give it a NES/SNES/Genesis game cart vibe. I don't think I'd bother with it personally, I bought an iPod Touch for the touch side of gaming, I've got buttons covered already with my DS and PSP.

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't think I'll get one either. I feel like I've become accustomed to touch controls now, especially for 3D games where swipe control is used like a mouse (i.e - FPS/action games). And with the accelerometer and gyroscope, racing games wouldn't benefit from this control pad. I suppose it would be good for arcade and RPG games, but I don't play many of those types of games.

4. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Looks clunky and well.. quite uncomfortable to use. Although I've never held one and this is just from the presentation of the video.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Goddamn, the Gameboy Advance was sleeker than that.

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The design is okay I guess. Now, how many developers will actually add support for it?

7. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i actually like more the first design eventhough it doesn't have analogs which i think unnecessary for iDevices
    what the iDevice needs is a physical controller that can blend well with touch controls
    you should be able to use the controller while you can still use your finger for the screen
    and i don't you can that on the final design...just my opinion ;)

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    So do games need to be programmed for this or will it work with any game out right now?

9. Developers would have to support it, which is my main concern with this.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Why use this when we have the wiimote?

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah I don't personally plan on getting this (not that I have an iPod anymore any ways) but it doesn't look too bad thats for sure.

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yup, this is the big issue.

Honestly, we can complain about the design/size/etc, but I think they're still doing a great thing for the iOS scene. The lack of physical controls are always going to hinder certain genres of games on the iOS, and this is a step in the right direction. Even if the iControlPad doesn't do well, maybe future iterations of other controller attachments could improve on it. (I know, wishful thinking.)

13. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

If developers could use a standard bluetooth profile that works with iCade, keyboards and iContolPad then I could see it taking off. The reality is that until Apple themselves creates a bluetooth controller standard everyone can copy physical controls for iOS games will unfortunately never catch on in a meaningful way.