iCollect Movies (powered by Red Laser) is out NOW!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ethanwa, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ethanwa

ethanwa Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
  2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Holy shiitake waffles, this is the app for me :D

Is there a plan in the future to allow synchronization with something like DVD Aficionado? That would make it like.. perfect :cool:

3. ethanwa

Mar 8, 2009
    This feature has been requested and we're looking into it for the next version. :)

We might even create our own hub website if it's in our best interest. We'll keep you posted.

4. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    #4 iGewappnet, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    The app just doesn't work. It scans correctly and shows the correct cover image and title BUT all the entries are empty. It wants me to manually fill out everything - even the title that is already there!

Well, another 1,59 Euro gone for nothing.

[​IMG]

5. ethanwa

Mar 8, 2009
    I think you're missunderstanding how the app works. If an item isn't in our system yet (especially non-US movies), you can add it. Our staff then goes and fills out the rest of the info. Then, you can scroll to the bottom of the 'Info' screen and hit 'Check for updates' to get the full movie info pre-filled out.

No sytem on earth, even Amazon or Google, has every UPC for every movie. The next major version update coming out WILL pre-populate your fields from IMDB though for movies not in our system yet.

Let me know if you have questions.

Ethan

6. DvDongeren

DvDongeren Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Apps like this make me want to buy a iphone. Awesome job!

7. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Okay, but then it is of no use for me. I have hundreds of DVD's and Blu-rays. If I have to type in manually all the fields I will need months. And even RedLaser or the better woabi (same technology) can give me at least a list of the titles just by scanning. iCollect Movies forces me to edit even the title. For now I would be just happy to have a simple list of the titles and covers.

8. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    does this work in the uk as u said most us dvds

9. ethanwa

Mar 8, 2009
    Yes it will work in the UK. Most commen movies should already be in the database with the correct titles and images at the least.

Again, if you have any problems don't hesistate to contact me at [email protected].

Ethan

10. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    how many dvds are roughly in he data base and how many blu-rays

11. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    just bought it.

ive tried over 25 movies such as transformers2, ice age 3, angels&demons,... but none of them works!!!
    you should add a database or something we could search on the iphone & add that way because if i have to put in everything myself for over 600 movies i would have months work!!

12. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Not working as in no pic/info or it won't scan period? If there is glare from the light above sometimes it won't scan for me, it has to be in the right light and works perfect.

13. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    it scans barcode properly but i get no pic, no movie name & no other intel.
    barcode is always spot on.

14. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California

I have Transformers on DVD,HD DVD,Blu Ray and the only one that didn't have a pic was the dvd version. email [email protected] since your having so many problems.

Also if you click on the screen where the pic is supposed to be you can take a pic of your own movie. :)

15. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    #15 killy billy, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    i just did.
    maybe it's because i live in belgium and movies here have a different region code like a or b or something.

edit: i know i can take pics but if i have to do this for every movie (600) i have months work

16. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Oh, you probably have region B. Talk to the dev, mabye he can add that region to the database!

USA/Canada releases region A work fine.

17. killy billy

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    idea:

if the dev puts the database in the app.(something like the app store) & added an "add to your collection" button or something like that.
    that way we europeans could also add the region A movies to our colection.
    problem solved for us.

18. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

This is just my guess here but when you save a movie and information, it gets sent to a central server.

It is stored there and this is the database one can use to update their information, the button at the bottom of aech entry.

Unfortunately this is a new app and therefore not a lot of info put up to their server yet.

Might want to give it some time to see how it works.

This definitely has potential, even for Touch users like me.

David

19. ethanwa

Mar 8, 2009
    Exactly, you're right on David. The database is great for Region A/1 but lacking a bit for Region B/2. Because the app is so new, users like you can help us build up the database with your more rare UPC codes. I'm surprised that even our Google Base backup search isn't even finding information for your UPC codes.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you liked you hoped, but I sent you an email and maybe we can work together to make the next version fantastic for you. Email me back when you can.

As for everyone else, thank you so much for your support! I'd really appreciate any honest reviews you can leave for the app in the App Store.

Thanks!

Ethan

20. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

For me, using an Ipod Touch, an option to put the title of the dvd instead of the barcode would be nice.

My reason for this would be, I have several Star trek movies, puting in Star trek gives me several listings, allowing me to enter all at one time.

Just makes cataloging anextensive list a little quicker.

Again, this would primarily be for Ipod Touch users.

Not sure if it is workable or something you may be willing to consider, I just wanted to throw it out there.

David