Universal ICEY (By X.D. Network Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 20, 2017.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I mentioned at the beginning that my points are all my opinions. Also it's a very popular opinion that the voice acting is bad. You can check it on Steam which many of the reviews just complain about the English voice actor. He sounds really fake - we all know what they're going for but he sounds like he's literally reading off a script. Try the Chinese VA and you'll hear a huge difference in their tone.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Well, of course, we’re all just expressing opinions here. :)

Guess he just doesn’t bother me that much. Just felt like he was trying to be sarcastic. I’ll try switching to Chinese though and see what it sounds like.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I quite like the English voice acting. Yes, it feels like everything's being read off a paper...until you start straying off the intended path and he gets all pissy. The Chinese acting is tenfold more convincing, but considering everything's being said while you play, I'm not gonna sit and read the subtitles when they're in a 2 cm x 1 cm box between my thumbs on SE.

4. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The background voice is meant to he read like a script with a monotone voice it's called a narrator and reinforce the 4th wall, except when you don't do what he says and piss him off.

I don't see the problem imho that's why i liked, outside the combat, about Icey on Steam, the narrator :D

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well clearly it isn’t David Attenborough narrating. That IS a problem.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, this is kinda what I was thinking myself.

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I wish there was a game with David Attenborough voicing it, I would buy it instantly no matter what it was ha

8. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    any tips on which combo skill to upgrade?

9. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

This game sucks...

... MY BATTERY! xD

Ok. It works alright. Gameplay is smooth and controls are responsive, in accordance with animations and battle flow.

Haven't gone much into it yet but, so far, I liked it.

About the narrator's voice, I didn't like any of the options to the point I'd "argue" about it. But I'll stick to the english voice, anyway.

Might comment later with decent impressions.

10. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #50 Solarclipse, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Yeah I think the English narrator is intentionally a little off-putting, so Ive actually seen it as part of the story/relationship.

Really cool secrets to be found. I got one where the developer showed me two earlier prototypes for ICEY that looked awewome—a long range weapon and then some kind of psychic powered version—would be awesome if these are attainable. There are upgrades like the dash battery so who knows....

I wish there was a way to change to change the difficulty level after the first setting....is there?

It also seems like you should be able to go to the terminal and load different stages, but it only lets you confirm on the see the you are currently on. Am I getting that right?
    Edit: no it's a stage select, which is cool because there are so.many secrets to unlock. Like...
    killing the narrator! Some text about Judas and the yellow king and all that–when it comes up you can't keep it on your screen as you like, it moves on...but.makes for an interesting story. Wonder if I'll figure out the real with that pink thing in the metro.

11. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    #51 toofinedog, Oct 28, 2017
    If you want to change the difficulty, select the lost woods from the system interface, and go stand by the door. Prepare to endure a lengthy exposition by the narrator. Eventually, the door will open, and you'll be able to re-answer the questions. I'm not actually sure which questions you need to answer, but I'm guessing if you choose the story is more important than the battles, you'll be put on "easy". Also, if you didn't not do a very specific thing when you first started, this will allow you to renotdo it for a trophy.

Edit: Went back and checked. Do the thing above. Choose yes to if you are [whatever name you entered originally], choose yes to taking off the mask, then choose yes for a more difficult journey.

12. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks! yeah I originally chosen no for difficult journey [yes=HARD], becauseI read 1 star itunes review that it was too hard and was feeling cautious...(I realize now that person is a fool because the easy difficulty is really easy). Anyway, if you choose no you are asked if action is more important than story. Action=normal, story=easy.

I'm getting the last few trophies now after beating Judas, looking for all the secrets :) It's interesting, everything the narrator says...He's kind of a duchebag but he makes some good points, and I think it's increased my empathy for developers actually.

13. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I originally played it on hard and beat Judas easily. I really don't think Judas is meant to be difficult because there seems to be a hidden ending. I think I'm going to go back and switch it to easy so I can complete the alleyway.

14. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    I've beaten 2 of the screens. It gets tricky when there are bunch of those golden globe crawly vampire things, because they can keep you on the ground...Think I'll need to earn some more $$$ for power ups.

I've got almost all the achievements—looking to open up the secret area...

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #55 7lilwhitewolf7, Oct 28, 2017
    ��Congratulations��

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Damn, another girl only game. That sucks.

Billy

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ....Uhh what? I actually prefer the girl.

Btw guys, mifi controller support added. Long awaited for many of you since I heard it mentioned so much on the thread.

18. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thank you

Buying as mfi added!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think of the 10000s of boy only games. The games brilliant. Well worth getting

20. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    My enjoyment of this game was already high but adding mfi support made it shoot up. What a fantastic game